ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Download Tutorial How to flash Bios using USB disk

Follow Us

[Other] How to flash Bios using USB disk

[Copy link]

emily|Post time:6-5-2016 02:07:22 View:20501|Reply:56

nuzen| Post time 6-3-2016 20:28:15 | Show all posts
Edited by nuzen at 6-3-2016 20:53

Hi emily, thank you for your posts and help.  I followed your directions for flashing the bios exactly, BUT it froze and failed before finishing.  It didn't like one of the "...64..." files.
Now I can get into the bios/UEFI and change the settings, but when I try to boot it freezes with "DNK FASTBOOT MODE.."  I've tried enabling and disabling the QUICKBOOT and FASTBOOT modes, but it still locks up.
I can seem to re flash the bios/UEFI again either, it freezes at "NK FASTBOOT MODE.."

Do you know what I should try next?

Thank you,
B Joseph Kotrich
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

DigitalMD| Post time 6-4-2016 01:46:38 | Show all posts
I would format the USB drive you are using, and copy the BIOS files to it again. It may be that the USB was corrupted . Try flashing BIOS again.

Use magic Report

NickM| Post time 6-4-2016 02:11:43 | Show all posts
nuzen replied at 6-3-2016 20:28
Hi emily, thank you for your posts and help.  I followed your directions for flashing the bios exact ...

Was it a Hibook that you were trying to flash? The same thing has happened to me. I think the text actually says DnX Fastbook Mode..

If it was a Hibook did you try and do it through the USB 2.0 port or the Type C port? I think there might be a difference so I've just ordered a Type C adapter to see if I can get back to the flashing the bios screen.

Use magic Report

nuzen| Post time 6-4-2016 05:09:24 | Show all posts
Yes, it was a Hibook, and I've tried reflashing and most everthing NickM and DigigalMD suggested (thank you for the replies) except for using the usb C to connect the usb drive to.  The problem, I'm thinking, is because when I flashed the bios, it didn't finish, it halted before finishing, so now I have a corrupted Bios.   Why?  When it halted it gave me a message.  I took a picture of it with my phone, but now the picture isn't on my phone to show you!!  But it said it couldn't use or find the "...64..." file.  AND I'm thinking maybe it meant the bootx64.efi file, which was NOT in the root directory, but in the efi/boot file, like it shows in the photo by Emily.  I wish I had copied and pasted those files into the root directory.  I’ve never had a bios flash fail before, so I’m stuck.  Have you folks flashed your Hibook with the same file configuration I used (like it shows in emily’s photo)?  Anyway I try to boot now, all I get is the American Megatrends bios screen with a yellow error message "DNX Fastbook mode..."  or one other like it, just like you NickM.

Use magic Report

DigitalMD| Post time 6-4-2016 05:16:34 | Show all posts
Edited by DigitalMD at 6-4-2016 08:27

Have you tried connecting a USB keyboard and hitting ESC or F7 when you power up?

Use magic Report

DigitalMD| Post time 6-4-2016 05:27:05 | Show all posts
nuzen replied at 6-4-2016 08:09
Yes, it was a Hibook, and I've tried reflashing and most everthing NickM and DigigalMD suggested (th ...

Have you tried connecting a USB keyboard and hitting ESC or F7 when you power up?
I don't have a hiBook, is this a dualboot Android / WIndows device? If so, it sounds like you need to flash the Android system.  To do that you need the Intel flash tool.
There's a tutorial in the firmware section.

Use magic Report

NickM| Post time 6-4-2016 06:39:47 | Show all posts
nuzen mine gets to the chuwi screen and then has the yellow DnX Fastboot mode.. displayed below it. I didn't look at where the files were but looking at it now it might have something to do with the efi file. I had exactly the same error message as you, it reads "Image type IA32 is not supported by this X64 shell". And then the only way to power the tablet off is to hold down the off and the up and down keys. Is that what you did?

DigitalMD the Hibook is a dual boot device, tried reflashing Android using the Intel Flash tool, it succeeds, restarts the tablet and then goes into the same DnX Fastboot Mode..

Use magic Report

DigitalMD| Post time 6-4-2016 07:02:56 | Show all posts
NickM replied at 6-4-2016 09:39
nuzen mine gets to the chuwi screen and then has the yellow DnX Fastboot mode.. displayed below it.  ...

I've seen this before, trying to remember how I got out of it.
Try this. connect a USB keyboard or your Chuwi keyboard.
boot the device and let it get to the stable display of DnX Fastboot
Hold the power button down for 30 seconds
The device should now be off.
Let it set for 3 minutes.
Now press the power button repeatedly hit f7 to see if you get the boot menu.
Flash BIOS again.
The warning message "Image type IA32 is not supported by this X64 shell" always comes up with this latest flash script. It still works.
You may want to try flashing an older copy of BIOS if you have one

Use magic Report

NickM| Post time 6-4-2016 08:30:37 | Show all posts
DigitalMD you sir are a genius! I didn't even need to reflash the bio.

Nuzen the hold the off button down for 30 seconds resets the DnX Fastboot so you boot up normally. You might need to plug the power cable in once you've done the reset because it took a while for my tablet to come back on.

Use magic Report

DigitalMD| Post time 6-5-2016 02:07:22 | Show all posts
NickM replied at 6-4-2016 11:30
DigitalMD you sir are a genius! I didn't even need to reflash the bio.

Nuzen the hold the off butto ...

Excellent, glad it worked
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list