ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Tablet Discussion Chuwi Hi12 Linux Mint 18 on HI12

Follow Us

Linux Mint 18 on HI12

[Copy link]

Freewill|Post time:6-25-2016 10:06:28 View:2660|Reply:14

I really hate windows. I successfully installed Linux Mint 18 on my tablet and really like it.
My only issues are touch screen, sound, and wifi not working.
I have identified the network card as Realtek RTL8723BS Wireless Lan 802.11n SDIO.

I did not get the identification of the sound card. Can someone tell me what it is?
And maybe a driver that will make the touch screen work with Linux Mint/Ubuntu

I wish Chuwi would offer Linux Mint option on the HI12 in place of windows10.
I am sure Chuwi would increase sales dramatically.

Here is a pic of the HI12 with Linux Mint working on it:

Use magic Report

DigitalMD| Post time 6-19-2016 03:32:02 | Show all posts
I wonder why no one makes a Linux tablet.... ? And why there are no drivers for common things like touch screens and IR Ports.
Wait I think I know.  Not enough interest....
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Börger| Post time 6-19-2016 10:50:33 | Show all posts
Chuwi give rubber ......

Use magic Report

Freewill| Post time 6-19-2016 14:27:06 | Show all posts
Isn't Android a varied distro of Linux? I always thought so...

Use magic Report

Freewill| Post time 6-19-2016 14:31:40 | Show all posts
Edited by Freewill at 6-19-2016 14:33

Besides... with what is going on with Windows10, Linux has been growing very fast. My website trackers always held Linux users around 2.5% now the stats show Linux users around 7%. That's almost a 300% increase since Windows10 has been forced on Win7 users. Many of the Linux forums I am on are being overrun with peeps looking for Linux tablets.

Just an observation of mine and a consideration for those who manufacture X64 architecture tablets...

Use magic Report

DigitalMD| Post time 6-22-2016 13:35:02 | Show all posts
Freewill replied at 6-19-2016 17:31
Besides... with what is going on with Windows10, Linux has been growing very fast. My website tracke ...

you mean before there were 6 Linux users and now there are 30?  LOL
Unix is now 40 years old. If i were going to be massively popular, I think it would have happened decades ago.
Android has a Unix kernel because it was free. NOw Google is beginning to move away from open source, because its such a mess

Use magic Report

Freewill| Post time 6-22-2016 16:42:42 | Show all posts
Edited by Freewill at 6-22-2016 16:46
DigitalMD replied at 6-22-2016 13:35
Unix is now 40 years old. If i ...

My website has average 3.6 million readers per month.

Google is trying to move away from android because they want propitiatory software to make a profit.

Debian is 40 years old and has evolved into a long lasting platform and is still around for a reason.

Compare the original windows os to the current one. Huge difference also.

One great point of Linux is no popup advertisements and another is no virus protection required. Linux eliminates the add trackers that send you the spam and scam emails.

Win10 tracks everything you do and all the files you have on your drives then reports them to Microsoft who then reports any copyrighted material to your local law enforcement. No thanks!
Many more great reasons too.  289

Use magic Report

Freewill| Post time 6-24-2016 17:04:13 | Show all posts

If you are a beginner, then you should know the difference between Unix and Linux.

Way before Linux, Unix operating systems was desgined at AT&T by Ken Thompson, Denis Ricthie and team. This was back in 1970. You might be surprised to know that Unix is a closed source, properitry operating system. AT&T licensed Unix to various thrid parties, both academic and commercial vendors.

One of the academic vendors is University of California, Berkeley. The Unix operating system developed here is known as BSD (Berkeley Software Distribution). One of the most popular open source derivative of BSD is FreeBSD. Another most popular closed source BSD derviative is Apple’s Mac OS X.

In 1991, Finnish computer science student Linus Torvalds developed his own Unix clone from scratch. This is what we know today as Linux Kernel. Linux distributions add GUI system, GNU utilities (such as cp, mv, ls,date, bash etc), installation & management tools, GNU c/c++ Compilers and various applications on top of the Linux kernel.

Use magic Report

BoORDeL| Post time 6-24-2016 21:23:01 | Show all posts

OMG i think you really need to get informations about LINUX UNIX and GNU in general before post such statements XD
really lol

Use magic Report

DigitalMD| Post time 6-25-2016 10:06:28 | Show all posts
Edited by DigitalMD at 6-25-2016 13:10
BoORDeL replied at 6-25-2016 00:23
OMG i think you really need to get informations about LINUX UNIX and GNU in general before post su ...

well there may be more than 30 users of Ubuntu, but its still a handful . the overwhelming number of Linux OS installs are in non-user, non-GUI systems , such as network appliances and unattended back room servers.

And I recommend you do some reading. Yes Unix which is the root of Linux had its 40th birthday just a few months ago and 1.55% is a handful. Sorry if that impacts your belief system ,these are simply the facts. If you choose to ignor the facts, its ok . Capture2.PNG
Capture3.PNG

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

12Next
Return to list
Quick Reply To Top Return to the list