ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Tablet Discussion General About the source code of Android - Linux Kernel of C ...

Follow Us

About the source code of Android - Linux Kernel of Chuwi Products

[Copy link]

Tikilou|Post time:6-21-2016 14:03:03 View:1498|Reply:18

Edited by Tikilou at 6-20-2016 10:27

They don't wan't release the source code,  even if it's gpl/apache/mit licence. And yes,  this is not legal,  i've contacted Intel about that,  and they don't like it, Chuwi will change this stratetegy,  Intel sell hardware and give open source android/kernel/drivers,  they can't accept to let a partner use Intel name and steal the source code they are required to publish, for a simple cause,  Intel is the first contributor to the Linux Kernel,  and platinum member of Linux Fondation !

@Chuwi, your politic is bad,  you have good products, a good staff (especially Emily Who try to kindly help our everytime),  but after somes exchanges on Facebook, and mail,  with finally refusal,  purpose to contact service@chuwi,  and no answers, now it's time for us to move on, we choose Chuwi products,  with intel/google/linux software and hardware,  and we want the source code. You don't wan't respect the rules, you don't want to talk,  so okay,  it's a declaration of war against the open source community.  We gonna talk to people about it,  advise them to boycott Chuwi product, until you release all the free source code of Bootloader,  Kernel,  Driver,  Android with your own code you have added, and it's gonna be the same for your concurrents,  like Onda,  Teclast,  and others if they don't respect GPL licence,  be carefull, Intel is NOT Mediatek ! They have lot of money/customers and don't gonna let you sully they reputation/name.

Stop manufacturers diktat !

Ps : i've taken a screenshot of this published topic, for having a proof if you delete it.

Use magic Report

glyko| Post time 6-20-2016 11:37:11 | Show all posts
I agree 100%, would love to see them comply with the GPL.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

DigitalMD| Post time 6-20-2016 13:24:25 | Show all posts
Edited by DigitalMD at 6-20-2016 16:43

You are incorrect. ANdroid source code is available from GITHUB
https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/qemu.git.But what you need is the kernel source and the device drivers. Few if any tablet vendors release their code. Most likely Chuwi does not even have the original source code.
It might be nice, but there's no real obligation with any teeth that anyone will enforce.

Use magic Report

DigitalMD| Post time 6-20-2016 13:35:01 | Show all posts
Edited by DigitalMD at 6-20-2016 16:42
glyko replied at 6-20-2016 14:37
I agree 100%, would love to see them comply with the GPL.

Chuwi is under no real obligation to release their driver or kernel code.  Few if any tablet vendors release their code. Most likely Chuwi does not even have the original source code.
It might be nice, but there's no real obligation with any teeth. If you can't get Samsung, HTC and Motorola to release their source, and you  can't , then chances you will ever see Chuwi or TecLast source are virtually zero.

Use magic Report

Tikilou| Post time 6-20-2016 13:55:07 | Show all posts
Edited by Tikilou at 6-20-2016 14:14

Samsung,  Htc,  and motorola release the source code,  i have correct,  linux kernel is under GPL V2, and intel, realtek,  and somes others, release they drivers under GPL too,  so stop said that,  there is not important if it's an other compagny who compile software for Chuwi,  the legal obligation is the same,  no excuse.

License : http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html

Does the GPL require that source code of modified versions be posted to the public?

The GPL does not require you to release your modified version. You are free to make modifications and use them privately, without ever releasing them. This applies to organizations (including companies), too; an organization can make a modified version and use it internally without ever releasing it outside the organization.

But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL requires you to make the modified source code available to the program's users, under the GPL.

Ps : who are SoftTeam ? This name is on the linux kernel builder... On chuwi products,  but other tablets too !

Use magic Report

DigitalMD| Post time 6-20-2016 14:32:22 | Show all posts
Edited by DigitalMD at 6-20-2016 17:36
Tikilou replied at 6-20-2016 16:55
Samsung,  Htc,  and motorola release the source code,  i have correct,  linux kernel is under GPL V2 ...

Sometimes the big companies release something months later, sometimes not, but at any rate a Android 5.1 kernel is only good for an ANdroid 5.1 ROM, nothing more. And without the drivers, you can't build a working ROM.
XDA developers thread is littered with the moans of those that want an update from Samsung, HTC, etc. . No new kernel, no new ROMs. For example , I have a Samsung Tab 3. Samsung did release the kernel source for their last ROM, Adroid 5.1 , and all development stopped there.  A few people patched in a CM Verions of 6.1 Android and it kinda works, but not really because the GPU / video drivers are 5.1 (no source) and the 6.1 Kernel won;t work with them, so no Netflix, no games and no HD video. See what I mean?

It would actually be benificial for these vendors to release source to developers, they would get free beta testing and development, but most won't do that or they do it after no one cares anymore.  Do you really want another Liollipop ROM?

Use magic Report

Tikilou| Post time 6-20-2016 15:23:34 | Show all posts
Edited by Tikilou at 6-20-2016 15:27
DigitalMD replied at 6-20-2016 14:32
Sometimes the big companies release something months later, sometimes not, but at any rate a Androi ...

Honestly,  the most important thing for me it's source code of linux kernel with drivers. Recompile kernel with more modules,  possibility to port soundchip and touchscreen drivers under Linux Desktop kernel.... I really wan't my tablet with Gnome Distro+touchscreen and sound work,  and  not just me,  many people want run linux without drivers problems on Chuwi products,  on Techtablet.

I don't have the same experience than you, on my Asus Zenfone 2 551ml smartphone under Intel soc Kernel,  Asus release all the source code,  include drivers,  and Cyanogenmod 13 have been ported with more recent kernel without problem, before official release of Marshmallow by Asus,  binaries and source code...

Use magic Report

DigitalMD| Post time 6-21-2016 02:17:22 | Show all posts
Tikilou replied at 6-20-2016 18:23
Honestly,  the most important thing for me it's source code of linux kernel with drivers. Recompil ...

The drivers you already have they are in the ANdroid install package, none of the manufactures release source for drivers. Most drivers don't belong to the tablet maker. If you know your way around the Linux kernel, you should be able to make all the patches required to work with the drivers. The Android API is well defined and available for 5.1. Not easy, but doable.  
Respectful , the number of customers that care to tinker with Linux variants on tablets is very small. That's why there are no commercial products that are marketed with that OS. And it provides no benefit to the manufacture since your off-shoot of Linux doesn't feed anything back to their work in Android.

Use magic Report

DigitalMD| Post time 6-21-2016 12:41:31 | Show all posts
Edited by DigitalMD at 6-21-2016 15:43
Tikilou replied at 6-20-2016 16:55
Samsung,  Htc,  and motorola release the source code,  i have correct,  linux kernel is under GPL V2 ...

Seems that Android may not be open source for much longer as Google looks poised to take control and clean up the mess. They are already moving in that direction.  This is the mess that Linux might have been had it gained widespread popularity, but it did not.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/bei ... 5618243840255925179

Use magic Report

Tikilou| Post time 6-21-2016 14:03:03 | Show all posts
You have really strange position,  i don't understand why you want to convince everyone to not doing something with his own hardware,  how he want... You like closed source OS ? Closed hardware ? Maybe with Apple or Microsoft you can found happyness... But let other people do what they want with hardware they have bought... It's just about freedom,  nothing else, and for fully dispose of this freedom, we need the source code of drivers. Chuwi tablets have the same architecture than a IBM-PC, we can install any Os,  but we need drivers...
By the way,  i've bought Hi10 because someone claim with the name of Chuwi in french forum,  they gonna support Ubuntu on it and maybe purpose products with it, fully fonctional. And now,  this topic is still online,  like an official news,  and i'm disapointed to see how i'ts complicated to detect to fully enjoy Linux with android and  windows,  because we need to disable acpi calls for drivers to PCI inside bios settings.

Anyway,  that's not the point,  we have f*cking rights,  and Chuwi/Softteam have to respect the GPL licence,  a minimum of respect for us will be great, i'm tired to seeing people/companies wan't have the benefit of open-source,  without contribution after that. They don't want to understand it's destroy open-source ecosystem, and this gonna destroy their business at the end.  

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

12Next
Return to list
Quick Reply To Top Return to the list