Screen Brightness (Android) - low setting too bright - Chuwi Hi12 - ChuWi Forum - Forum.chuwi.com
ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Tablet Discussion Chuwi Hi12 Screen Brightness (Android) - low setting too bright

Follow Us

Screen Brightness (Android) - low setting too bright

[Copy link]

FoxDoom|Post time:8-10-2017 07:40:48 View:2586|Reply:11

Edited by FoxDoom at 7-28-2016 23:15

Hi Guys, my Hi12 Dual Boot with stylus and keyboard is great, however, the lowest screen brightness (LED) in Android is much brighter in Android than in Windows 10.  Oddly, I just booted from Windows to Android and the brightness in Android was much lower than it normally is (akin to the low setting for Windows brightness).  However, when I rebooted to see if this lower brightness remained in Android, it reverted to the brighter low setting.  Is there a fix coming to make the minimum screen brightness in Android much lower, to be suitable for reading in the dark?  This would obviously extend battery life.
I also on occassion get a loud squawk/white noise (goes for about 5 seconds) from the right speaker in Win 10 - any ideas?

WiFi slow down and connection issues occasionally occur - BIOS is the current version - don't have these issues with my MSI laptop on WiFi that sits next to the Hi12.  I suspect the WiFi issues have not been fully resolved.

Use magic Report

technisol| Post time 7-29-2016 19:41:56 | Show all posts
The only Wifi issues I've experienced were a complete and total lack thereof...  I tracked it down to being an issue related to switching from one OS to the other, so I now shut either OS down and then reboot. For some reason it takes two boots to get it to actually start Android, but everything works fine once it does start.  No issues going the other direction, I just shut Android down and start Windows normally.  It's a little squirrelly, but I've lived with worse.  Both OS's perform perfectly once booted.  Color me puzzled, but relatively unruffled.  
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

FoxDoom| Post time 7-30-2016 04:29:05 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
I too have concluded things are more reliable by doing complete shutdowns rather than warm 'switching' OSs. For the money its a great tablet and I am sure Chuwi are listening to constructive criticism. Be good if they could fix the too bright backlight in Android..not a problem in Windows, which suggests the backlight hardware and firmware are up to taking the LEDs down a few more notches in brightness.

Use magic Report

technisol| Post time 7-30-2016 19:35:29 | Show all posts
Well, the better solution would be to lower the brightness of the LED backlighting somehow -possibly through an android preset or kernal change, but you'll probably more easily find a filter app to reduce brightness in the Play store...  I'm pretty sure that was the only convenient way to get around the problem with another tablet I had a few years back -not as good as saving power, but perhaps the only way until someone figures out how to affect the brightness levels or Chuwi gets their collective act together and starts tweaking the stuff that still requires it.

At some point maybe they'll have to realize that the little details do matter.

Use magic Report

badelhas| Post time 8-25-2016 02:11:30 | Show all posts
For lower brightness on android try using dimly app

Use magic Report

iG8R| Post time 8-28-2016 05:51:30 | Show all posts
Change brightness via this file /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/brightnes
By default, lower brightness is 21, change it , e.g. to 10 and make this file read only.
PS. Don't change brightness to 0 - you'll see nothing and can't change it back easily.

Use magic Report

alesi80| Post time 8-29-2016 23:16:33 | Show all posts
iG8R replied at 8-28-2016 05:51
Change brightness via this file /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_bac ...

wonderful solution... but... you need to have root access to modify that file. Am I right?

Use magic Report

jtrosky| Post time 3-1-2017 05:46:44 | Show all posts
FYI - I found a permanent solution to the brightness issue in Android on the Hi12 (if you are rooted)!  It turns out that someone had already tackled this issue on the Vi10 (it seems to be an issue for all of these Intel Android tablets - my Onda Obook 11 Plus running RemixOS has the same issue).  Anyway, whoever did this, packaged it up in a flashable .zip file.  I didn't actually flash it though - I just copied the main file (/system/lib/hw/lights.gmin.so) from the .zip file and rebooted and it works!  Obviously, I would make a backup of the original as well (I just renamed it to lights.gmin.so.org).  

I've attached the .zip file here.  So nice being able to set brightness however you'd like!  :-)  Thank you to the original creator (unfortunately, I don't know who it is off-hand - I downloaded this a while ago and just finally attempted it this morning)...

vi10plus-fix-minbrightness.zip

564.07 KB, Downloads: 114

Use magic Report

veeall| Post time 3-5-2017 19:01:39 | Show all posts
jtrosky replied at 3-1-2017 05:46
FYI - I found a permanent solution to the brightness issue in Android on the Hi12 (if you are rooted ...

Thanks a lot, flashed with twrp an it worked perfectly! Minimum is really dim now.

Use magic Report

Rain44| Post time 8-10-2017 07:40:48 | Show all posts
How did you make it work with TWRP? I tried to flash through that app too and it just gave back a NO COMMAND message.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

12Next
Return to list
Quick Reply To Top Return to the list