ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Tablet Discussion Chuwi Hi12 Does Screen Protector (Tempered Glass)interfere with ...

Follow Us

Does Screen Protector (Tempered Glass)interfere with the hinges when open close?

[Copy link]

mercu|Post time:4-20-2017 09:44:50 View:1123|Reply:10

Hi,

I just bought my Chuwi Hi12 today and I consider to buy a screen protector of Tempered Glass, this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ ... ch/32704090295.html

But the problem is that I heard some users in this forum got some crack screen because of the SP interfering with the hinges when closing and opening or even when taking out and put it back to the keyboard dock.

Did you guys have the same problem when using screen protector? Would you guys recommend me to buy a screen protector for this tablet or not if I intend to use it together with its original keyboard dock?

The keyboard dock I bought is problem the V2 one, the black / dark grey one which is in this video (@ 0:41)
https://youtu.be/QFbB3Rk4BX8?t=41s

I'm more scared of a screen protector getting damaged and therefore destroying the original screen than anything else since this tablet will go down and up from the keyboard dock all the time.

So what do you guys? What would you guys do if you were in my shoes? Thank you in advance for your help!

Use magic Report

technisol| Post time 11-27-2016 21:10:02 | Show all posts
Edited by technisol at 11-27-2016 21:31

I'd put the screen protector on and get a case or stand and a bluetooth keyboard...  at least that is what I did.

There is a fair amount of evidence, or at least multiple user accounts, to support the notion that there is a bug somewhere in the mix that can throw the Hi12 into an unknown power state when powering down the tablet and then closing it onto the attached keyboard unit too soon.(I imagine before the power down sequence completes the tablet is instead entering a sleep mode.)  I have had it happen to me twice, in both cases the tablet seemed to stay in a sleep mode draining the battery, but was unresponsive to normal power up by the button.  The first time around it completely drained the tablet battery and took me nearly 45 minutes while charging to get it to restart after countless button press and button sequence attempts.  The second time it drained the battery about a third and restarted with the button sequence 10 seconds hold, 3 short presses...  The first time it happened, I really thought I had a brick.  Worst experience I've had in quite a while.

I like the keyboard well enough, not a big fan of the trackpad operation, but with the battery drain issue, the problem of having two tempered glass screen protectors get cracked by the abrupt final snap of the hinge mechanism as the tablet closes onto the keyboard, and the extra weight to drag it around, I just can't justify it.  I use a bluetooth keyboard and have had no further power drain issues.  Both times I did, the keyboard/dock had been connected...
If you can live with the extra weight and have enough self-discipline and the ability to never allow yourself to be distracted while shutting it down, you might get away without the screen protector while using the keyboard as long as you remember to always give it a while after shut down before folding the tablet down onto the keyboard.  I also went for the tempered glass screen protector because I use the pen and read the built-in glass was not quite up to pen use without scratching -no proof offered, but better safe than sorry.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

mercu| Post time 11-28-2016 03:11:35 | Show all posts
Edited by mercu at 11-28-2016 03:16
technisol replied at 11-27-2016 21:10
I'd put the screen protector on and get a case or stand and a bluetooth keyboard...  at least that i ...

Thank you for your advices, that was really important informations for me!

Which bluetooth keyboard would you then recommend? And would it also work if I connect a normal USB-hub into USB port of tablet and then connect a normal cabled keyboard and cabled mouse into this USB hub?

And this problem with keyboard putting laptop into sleeping mode, has it been patched yet recently or is it stil an issue - if you have heard anything about that?

I just ordered my tablet yesterday but I don't have so high hopes since chinese companies usually need years to be stable.

Use magic Report

technisol| Post time 11-28-2016 22:35:22 | Show all posts
I've used a couple bluetooth keyboards, and there is a thread here somewhere with some recommendations.  I imagine the USB keyboard would work fine and I have a 4 port USB 3.0 Hub that works fine.

As far as I know, it only happens with the Hi12 keyboard/dock connected, so it probably is related to that hardware and I've heard of no fix for it or I'd use my keyboard/dock too.

Use magic Report

viniciuspt| Post time 3-27-2017 16:08:17 | Show all posts
Edited by viniciuspt at 3-27-2017 16:11

I can tell you that there is a small interference  with the dock. It is possible to see a bobble air created between the glass and screen in the points of magnets. I think it is not a big problem (I think is not possible damage the screen) but confirm the interference. To close the tablet with dock no problem !
Close your treads when they are solved (help to help people)

Use magic Report

technisol| Post time 3-27-2017 18:59:08 | Show all posts
Edited by technisol at 3-27-2017 19:00

Oh, the tempered glass screen protector works just fine, until it closes just a hair too fast with enough of a snap and voila broken screen protector.  Well, cracked or with a divot out anyway, right where the folding mechanism is, at the corners of it anyhow.  Probably opened and closed mine 20-30 times with no problem and then SNAP!  Happened twice, not a fluke...  Fortunately, they weren't all that expensive.

Use magic Report

viniciuspt| Post time 3-28-2017 04:33:11 | Show all posts
technisol replied at 3-27-2017 18:59
Oh, the tempered glass screen protector works just fine, until it closes just a hair too fast with e ...

Good news (or bad ) I will try to be more careful when closing mine (more than I am). I saw there is a point when closing that turning become "free". This is the point that Chuwi "fall" thrus the dock, this is the point that could brake the glass protector.

I think I will by one more !

Use magic Report

viniciuspt| Post time 4-12-2017 09:57:58 | Show all posts
technisol replied at 3-27-2017 23:59
Oh, the tempered glass screen protector works just fine, until it closes just a hair too fast with e ...

Hi tech !

Today my glass protect broke a small piece close to the magnet (I took a lot of care, but the simple way to open/close the tablet can brake the protection)!

Use magic Report

mercu| Post time 4-14-2017 04:33:12 | Show all posts
Edited by mercu at 4-14-2017 04:35

Hello again guys!

I just want to give some advice to you guys regarding this topic:

I'm so lucky and happy that I found a screen protector that is strong enough to use it together with the keyboard, so far 4 months in, not even a SINGLE scratch on that spot where the hinges are connecting with the tablet (!) I am shocked!

Here is screen protector I bought 4 months ago:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ ... ch/32704090295.html

It worked so well that I actually bought 3 (!) of these, not joking. The first time I bought it, I was stupid enough that I installed the screen protector on top of that plastic protector that came with Chuwi, I didn't know there was a plastic protector that came with it, noob mistake ....

So I had to throw both of these protectors. After that I ordered another one from the same place. Installed it on and in fact, I'm still using it up to this date. So now few weeks ago, I ordered ANOTHER one - just in case for the future if anything happens but so far, I cannot even see a single scratch when inspect it under the sun light. That shows how strong this glass is and that it actually works with the keyboard! Bonus thing about this SP is that it fits perfectly to all the cut outs in this tablet and the size is perfect. It covers the whole entire screen, cannot be better IMHO.

I have also another advice maybe why it has worked for me - so far:

I installed a thin very slippery tape on the hinge contact side itself. Very thin but it has to be very slippery and smooth tape because you want as less friction as possible. This is how it looks like and which specific spot I placed it:

And of course, I also never slam the screen down and I close the screen everytime very gently. Removing the tablet from the keyboard should also be done very carefully. I think many times, the reason why things break is also partly due to the way the user is handling the device.

I hope it works for you guys as well as it works for me. We will see if it can continue to be like this one year forward also, but so far it looks great

Use magic Report

viniciuspt| Post time 4-20-2017 09:44:50 | Show all posts

For me it is not the care of removing tablet from ! I need to make a "force" to fit the tablet at the dock because the glass protector. It has 2 air bubbles between protection and screen in the points where magnets are !

If glass fits better than mine (from the links you attached), then I will buy one to test !

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

12Next
Return to list
Quick Reply To Top Return to the list