ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Tablet Discussion Chuwi Hi12 RELEASE KERNEL SOURCES for HI12

Follow Us

RELEASE KERNEL SOURCES for HI12

[Copy link]

Frank_Underwood|Post time:12-24-2016 21:13:44 View:1921|Reply:18

Simply, the title says it all.
As it has already been mentioned, Linux's kernel follows the GPLv2 licence and under this licence a developer MUST publish and link the entire kernel source. The GPL is a legally enforceable license agreement.

We, the community, would like to ask kindly for these sources. While minimal amount of work is required from Chuwi's part, it will be marvelously helpful to all of us.

We love the hardware you were able to manufacture and we are really looking forward to receive support with the matter stated above.
The sooner, the better.

Thank you

Use magic Report

Migual12| Post time 12-17-2016 14:08:20 | Show all posts
I totally support this request and I am absolutely sure it is of advantage for CHUWI as the tablet will sell better with improved software.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

technisol| Post time 12-17-2016 23:33:57 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Chuwi, please release the goods.  You benefitted from public work, now give back and allow the community to make your hardware more attractive by broadening available OS versions for it!  You can only benefit from this.

Use magic Report

Sparhawk| Post time 12-18-2016 15:36:02 | Show all posts
I support this as well.. your product is awesome peace of hardware, but let ppl help you with software.. it rly would be great, if ppl could help you and us with new roms... and ofc as Frank wrote, you must release kernel source under the GLP21 licence agreement..

Use magic Report

pr0xzen| Post time 12-18-2016 16:37:34 | Show all posts
I thoroughly support this. Chuwi would benefit probably more than its users, if kernel source, drivers etc, was made available. Community support would flourish, and good community support equals great sales numbers.

To the users: Please keep in mind that it might Chuwi might be somewhat between a rock and a hard place here. They probably didn't develop the kernel probably Intel or some other 3rd party did - and have Chuwi tied down on a NDA.

Use magic Report

Konsta| Post time 12-19-2016 11:18:54 | Show all posts
pr0xzen replied at 12-18-2016 16:37
I thoroughly support this. Chuwi would benefit probably more than its users, if kernel source, drive ...

No one can force NDA on GPL licensed code. Linux kernel is released under GPLv2 license and Chuwi can, and must, release kernel source code for their products.
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#DoesTheGPLAllowNDA

Use magic Report

pr0xzen| Post time 12-20-2016 19:46:56 | Show all posts
Konsta replied at 12-19-2016 11:18
No one can force NDA on GPL licensed code. Linux kernel is released under GPLv2 license and Chuwi  ...

If you know the GPL, you also know there are several ways that an NDA might legally apply. And, several more where GPL licensed code can be combined with GPL-incompatible code (of which itself can hold NDAs).

Use magic Report

Konsta| Post time 12-20-2016 23:17:46 | Show all posts
Edited by Konsta at 12-20-2016 23:22
pr0xzen replied at 12-20-2016 19:46
If you know the GPL, you also know there are several ways that an NDA might legally apply. And, se ...

Yes, quite clearly a lot better than you. ;) You simply can't relicence GPL code with more restrictive licence.

Jide Technology, company developing Remix OS, has already released Linux kernel source for Chuwi products (Vi10 Plus and Hi10 Pro). They actually do business in western countries with established legal systems and don't want to be sued their pants off.
https://github.com/JideTechnolog ... chuwi_vi10_plus_r51

Use magic Report

crazycookie| Post time 12-24-2016 07:13:40 | Show all posts
Yes, I subscribe this one. Release the kernel sources for our Hi12.
And, btw, remove this crappy spyware from our tablets.

Use magic Report

pr0xzen| Post time 12-24-2016 21:13:44 | Show all posts
Konsta replied at 12-20-2016 23:17
Yes, quite clearly a lot better than you. ;) You simply can't relicence GPL code with more restrict ...

Two words mate: Proprietary libraries.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

12Next
Return to list
Quick Reply To Top Return to the list