ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Tablet Discussion Chuwi Hi10 Hi10 Pro – microSD working in Windows again

Follow Us

Hi10 Pro – microSD working in Windows again

[Copy link]

seeknom|Post time:2-26-2017 21:25:20 View:4418|Reply:57

There seems to be no shortage of people on the internet having issues with their microSD cards in chinese tablets. Like a lot of people, mine (an 128gb Patriot) seemed to work fine for a while (accessible as shared storage in both Android and Windows) and then one day I noticed it was no longer visible in Windows. I searched various forums and found instructions on how to install an older version unsigned driver and managed to recover my microSD, only to have it go on the fritz again after switching to Android. After that, I couldn’t get it to work despite having the older (v6.x as opposed to v10.x) driver installed – every time I plugged in my microSD I got error code 10 saying the device couldn’t start.

After experimenting though, I’ve managed to get things working again. In fact, I’ve revived it from the dead twice now using this process (After recovering it the first time, I switched to Android again just to verify it wasn’t just a fluke the first time).

The bad news is, switching to Android seems to mess things up. If I just use windows, my card stays intact and stable, but switching to Android seems to corrupt it for Windows (it still works fine in Android, just not Windows).

So, here’s how I did it, hopefully it can help other people. For starters, boot into your bios and make sure you have the MS CUSTOM SD BUS driver enabled (if you don’t know where that is, a quick google will show you where to find it.) Also in the bios, make sure your SD is in APCI mode, not PCI.

As well, find the steps to install the unsigned older version drivers (again, there are many forums threads covering this).

Now, to get the SD card back to life. I admittedly had to use my home laptop to do this and for the record it’s running Windows XP (hopefully other Windows versions will do the trick, it’s what I had available).

I took my microSD, plugged it into my laptop and then formatted it as NTFS using Minitool Partition Wizard.

NOTE: Although the card is 128gb, it was only showing up as 32gb on my laptop (a limitation of XP?).

NOTE2: Prior to formatting as NTFS, I also tried Fat32 and exFAT. However, in both those cases, when I took the microSD out of my laptop and plugged it into my Hi10, I got error code 10 in Windows.

With NTFS though, no error code 10 and Windows mounted the card. When I first plugged it in, Windows 10 reported the microSD had errors and needed to be error checked. I did this and it reported it fixed things. However, my card was still formatted to be 32gb. I right clicked on it, and selected format. Windows autopopulated a filesystem of NTFS and an allocation size of 4K. I tried formatting my card this way but it failed saying it could not complete. I changed the “allocation size” to “default”, and success!

So, a bit of a pain to get it back to life, but it’s completely stable in Windows as long as I don’t switch to Android. I think I may look into removing Android and absorbing the RemixOS into Windows…

Anyways, good luck, and let me know if this helps anyone.

Use magic Report

emily| Post time 2-24-2017 17:40:19 | Show all posts
Hi,@seeknom
Thanks for your share
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Vamire| Post time 2-25-2017 10:36:57 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
working for me also today without touching anything.. WTF?

Use magic Report

Vamire| Post time 2-25-2017 20:11:34 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Edited by Vamire at 2-25-2017 20:23

And now is stopped again. Was working great! tried to reboot and relog in and it was there. I booted to android and rebooted to windows manually and it still worked. BUT when i decided to switch back to Android and from android back to windows with the notification option " switch to windows" it broken again. Now it doesn't work any more...I try to find how I can bring it back again...

This is the biggest shit ever!!!! And chuwi can't even read our complains..

Use magic Report

Vamire| Post time 2-26-2017 05:31:08 | Show all posts
Edited by Vamire at 2-26-2017 05:36

ok is back and working again!!!
This is what I did and I will confirm it in the next days or next hours but you can try by your self.

You don't need to change the drivers. I did it in the past but without any result.
So the problem it should be in bios and the delay that it needs to understand what type of sd card you have plugged it in. (I think so)
So you have to use 1gb card and your card that you want to use 32gb or 64gb.
First you have to plug it in your 1gb card ( or a card that is already working for you) then you have to download the mini tool as suggested by the ts.
Open the program and format to ntfs your working card. Then make a second partition as fat or whatever you want.
Unplug your card and replug it in.
Wait for a minute to read by the system. If a pop up message ask you to fix it do it.
Then with the mini tool program working in background eject the sd card and plug your 32gb or 64gb card. Wait for some seconds and then check the mini tool it should recognize your 32gb or 64gb sd card. Open the exporer and if it ask you to repair the sd card do it if not wait a little more. You can try to reject and insert it again and check again it should give you the "repair disk" pop up window.

If you do this please confirm this if it is working.
if didn't then try to restart + shutdown your system + force down your system with the power button hold it for 10sec or so.. Then try again.

Use magic Report

dasen| Post time 2-26-2017 07:34:21 | Show all posts
Edited by dasen at 2-26-2017 08:08

I have the same problem - Windows 10 does not see the sd card. It shows sound connection hanging error 10. The tablet Chuwi hi10 pro. I tried all the ways from the Internet, and reinstalled the original android and windows from Chuwi, killed bios, and restored it by programmer. I did everything I could -  sd card working with android without problems, but in windows - not. It is a big problem!!!
Dear Vamire, please, would you like to give more simple instruction for me, like: 1... 2.. 3... My english is bad, and I can't understand some sentences, but after format my card by  Minitool Partition Wizard - my tablet can see it only once. And this is great progress.

Use magic Report

dasen| Post time 2-26-2017 11:17:22 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
It is the global problem, I know a lot of people on other forums with this problem!

Use magic Report

Vamire| Post time 2-26-2017 13:47:06 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
The process that I wrote is not working always.

Use magic Report

Vamire| Post time 2-26-2017 13:52:51 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
1 boot in windows. 2) press restart 3) force to shutdown the system. Boot in windows again. Then do the format on working sd card. Create a second partition. Then unplug and plug your sd 64gb or 32gb sd card.

Use magic Report

dasen| Post time 2-26-2017 21:25:20 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
- Then do the format on working sd card.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list