ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Tablet Discussion Chuwi Hi10 Hi10 Pro – microSD working in Windows again

Follow Us

Hi10 Pro – microSD working in Windows again

[Copy link]

seeknom|Post time:4-23-2017 21:03:51 View:4890|Reply:57

Vamire| Post time 4-22-2017 11:07:21 | Show all posts
jtrosky replied at 4-22-2017 03:07
I don't get it...  I must be the only one that has "perfectly working" Chuwi devices!  I don't have  ...

You lie or you are super duper lucky
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

jtrosky| Post time 4-22-2017 11:55:28 | Show all posts
RicOz replied at 4-22-2017 11:06
I am rather envious of your situation sir

I have a  Hi10 Pro (PQ64G4216xxxxxx) Z8350 Hampoo Du ...

I'm curious - what format are your MicroSD cards?  I actually don't even need or use MicroSD cards normally in these devices (I just don't need them), so I'm just experimenting with the cheap MicroSD cards that I did order as-is - they came formatted to FAT32 format, which is why I've been testing with.  I swear - every time I reboot into either Android or Windows, the MicroSD card shows up fine and the files are accessible in both Android and Windows.

Is there some way that I can try to make this issue happen other than rebooting into the OS's and checking to see if the MicroSD card is available and accessible?

Use magic Report

RicOz| Post time 4-22-2017 12:51:03 | Show all posts
jtrosky replied at 4-23-2017 05:55
I'm curious - what format are your MicroSD cards?  I actually don't even need or use MicroSD cards ...

They are FAT32, a 64GB Evo+ and a Verbatim 8GB.

I have tried another small no-name FAT32 with the same result.

I also tried the Evo+ with an NTFS partition but that didn't improve anything.

Unfortunately, there is nothing I've found that reliably makes the card show up or not show up. It seems to be luck of the draw.

I doubt "luck of the draw" is a realistic test parameter for you try and make it happen with but that is just how it is. Or at least it seems that's how it is for the other affected uses out there.

What puzzles me is, why it worked OK at first then slowly degenerated to the point of unreliability. It suggests failing hardware but surely these (Realtek?) readers are in millions of computers and would have caused an uproar by now.

I hope you don't cause your tablets to go into this condition because once it starts there is no turning back.

However, if we knew how to actually cause the failure I'd bet it could be fixed.

So if you want to, just keep banging away at booting back and forth from Windows to Android, inserting and removing the card, shutting down, restarting, rebooting, etc.. Eventually you will either fix it or do the other thing, as they say.

Use magic Report

jtrosky| Post time 4-23-2017 04:58:43 | Show all posts
I don't know - I certainly can't explain it.  I'm really not looking to bring issues upon my own devices - I was just curious how often people are having issues (once every 10 times, once every 5 times, etc) - at least approximately - or if there were a certain sequence of events that would always cause the issue (but it sounds like that's not the case).  I'll continue to monitor the SD card status each time I wake or reboot the device and report if I ever run into an issue.  So far, I simply can't make it happen though (not complaining!).  

@Vamire - please stop with whole "you're lying" theme.  I have absolutely nothing to gain by lying about this.  Trust me, I'm simply not seeing any issues reading MicroSD cards in any of Chuwi devices with my usage.  Period.  I've tried all of my devices with multiple different MicroSD cards and none of them has ever failed to see or read the card in my testing - whether it be in Windows or Android.

Use magic Report

RicOz| Post time 4-23-2017 09:58:46 | Show all posts
jtrosky replied at 4-23-2017 22:58
I don't know - I certainly can't explain it.  I'm really not looking to bring issues upon my own dev ...

I don't understand it either. I can be quite brutal with a card reader in either USB port and it never fails to show up. The built-in card slot is totally unreliable. You never know if it is going to work, and I can't tell what I did when it does work.

Do your devices use the SwitchNow software to boot into Android/Windows? If so, it probably rules it out.

I just have a gut feeling about how resources are allocated during startup and perhaps SwitchNow could be the cause of the problem if it only happens on devices that use it.

Use magic Report

jtrosky| Post time 4-23-2017 11:17:39 | Show all posts
Yes, I also use the "SwitchNow" application to boot from Windows to Android.  On the Windows side, one of the Hi10 Pros has the latest Windows version (the Creators version or whatever) and the other one has the lastest version before the Creators version.  On the Android side, one is running Chuwi stock Android and the other is running CM12 by Konsta.  

Maybe the only difference between my devices and yours are that I don't remove and re-insert the cards very often at all.  Basically, I put them in and leave them there for the most part.  I don't want to go constantly removing and re-inserting them for no reason though, just in case that is the cause of the issue...  :-)

Use magic Report

RicOz| Post time 4-23-2017 16:32:17 | Show all posts
jtrosky replied at 4-24-2017 05:17
Yes, I also use the "SwitchNow" application to boot from Windows to Android.  On the Windows side, o ...

Thanks. That sort of eliminates the SwitchNOW program. It does open the hardware issue up though, and you are probably wise in not wanting to remove and replace the card all the time.

There are at least two problems with the hardware theory from my perspective: (1) the hardware design for SD card readers in general must be fairly robust by now. They are present in dozens of devices these days from high-end phones and cameras to crappy YumCha multi format two dollar card readers. And (2) removing and replacing the card is the only way for me to get the card recognised in either operating system when they refuse to see the card. I expect most other users do the same when faced with this issue.

I'd love to know what Chuwi do to the ones being returned under warranty, if in fact anyone has returned one. If they just replace the SD card reader, then that's the answer. But why don't they say so. And why don't the other dual boot manufacturers plagued with this problem say so too. Probably because it's not a hardware fault.

I have been experimenting with the [Bios – Advanced – System Component – MS Custom Sdbus Driver – Enable] parameter but it made no permanent difference for me. It worked the first time going into Windows and reverted to [Disabled] after going into Android (as expected) but failed on the second and subsequent attempts. I concluded it was just coincidence. As I've said before, sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.

My Android is stock standard 5.1. My Windows has gone through two complete updates, currently on Creators 1703.

Use magic Report

jtrosky| Post time 4-23-2017 16:56:13 | Show all posts
To me, your point #2 almost makes me think that it *is* hardware related.  Who knows, it could be that whatever puts "tension" on the SD card (to make it "pop out" when ejecting it) weakens over time and the card isn't aligning just right every time it's inserted - or the contacts wear over time and it only makes good contact sometimes.  

That would also explain why it used to work every time and then starts having issues over time, as more and more cards are inserted and ejected..  For all we know, maybe a large batch of SD card readers from a particular manufacturer have this fault and that is why it affects other brand name devices as well.....

But really, these are just a wild guessed and I have no real evidence to truly conclude that is the problem...   I do wish that Chuwi would at least make some sort of statement about it though....

Use magic Report

RicOz| Post time 4-23-2017 18:20:18 | Show all posts
jtrosky replied at 4-24-2017 10:56
To me, your point #2 almost makes me think that it *is* hardware related.  Who knows, it could be th ...

I wish it was hardware. Only trouble is, when the card is playing nice and being recognised in Android I can be as brutal as I like.

Removing and re-inserting at will. It always comes back. Never hesitates. Don't bother with niceties like mount and unmount. Even fumbled insertions are tolerated without complaint.

Got to be software of some kind. BIOS maybe.

Mine is:
Core Version 5.011
Compliancy UEFI 2.4; PI 1.3
Bios Version I1D6_C109S_Hi10Pro.234 x
Build 10/20/2016 8:57:32

Use magic Report

powerstroke01| Post time 4-23-2017 21:03:51 | Show all posts
Using an exFAT 64gig card and no issues.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list