ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Notebook Discussion Chuwi Lapbook 14.1 My first week with Lapbook 14.1

Follow Us

My first week with Lapbook 14.1

[Copy link]

Hackerjac|Post time:7-12-2017 15:17:37 View:1455|Reply:6

Edited by Hackerjac at 3-6-2017 08:17

Got my Lapbook Monday 27/2, unpaked it and liked the touch of it, unfortenly its white, but i can live with that.
Started with charging it for a couple of hours, just to make sure there was power enough on it, booted it up and entered the bios,
it was already updated with the latest version, went back to booting windows, it was already pre configured with a cw account.
Runned the updates from M$, installed the fix for the SD card reader, installed Drive Booster and updated all drivers.
Turned off the lapbook and installed a A-Data 256 GB M.2 SSD, the bios found it, and i configurered it in windows (unfortenly it seem like not all have luck with installing a SSD), went to Techtablets and followed this guide to clone the eMMC to my newly installed SSD https://techtablets.com/forum/to ... to-a-256gb-m-2-ssd/
After booting it from the SSD it was time to try out the card reader, had a 128 GB Kingston class10 UHS1 card laying arround, was ment to be used in my Hi12, also worked 14 days in Hi12, but then suddenly i coulden write to it without it crashing, the same in my Hibook Pro, but it works flawless in the Lapbook

The screen IPS 1920x1080p, unfortenly it have some edges bleeding in upper left corner, that was expectet when it ain't a laminated screen, the eMMC is to little imho when it comes to having Windows 10, but then its a good thing that mostly all dosen't have trouble installinga SSD intoit, too bad its impossible to upgrade the ram from 4 to 8 GB, well it should be possible if you have or know someone that have, a bga rework station and know how to use it.
Keyboard feels pretty good comparec to the keyboard dock for Hi12 and HiBook, and fortenly the trackpad on it does not have so many anoying gestus as both Hi12 and HiBook have, or else its not just sentisive.

The wi-fi is atleast dual band and also AC, gives a little bit more than the wi-fi on the 2 tablets i have, have made som speed tests from both Hi12 and Lapbook, using my Asus RT-AC66U router and Proliant Gen 7 server

Lapbook 5 GHz

Lapbook 5 GHz.jpg

Lapbook 2.4 GHz

Lapbook 2.4 GHz.jpg

Hi12 2.4 GHz

Hi12 2.4 GHz.jpg

I miss gigabit wired network on it

Have installed the thermal mod that Chris @techtablets showen in his rewiev video, i then tried playing some 4k video's i have using MPC-HC, moved the files to the SSD so it would get speed enough, onee was encoded in x264 and the other in x265, none of them was playing smoothly, had hickups every 8-10 sec, so my guess is that the cpu it just too slow to handly so much data, but i let i run for arround 45 min, all 4 cores was at 100% and the temp ended on 91 deg C, after a couple of hours cooling down i tried with a normal Blu-ray Remux, the cpu never got higher that 47 deg C, and cores hit max 80%

Normal use like Office, internet and that kind of stuff it handles pretty goodt, alot more smooth than my Hi12 and HiBook Pro, but i belive that the higher resolution on the tablets and the slower cpu is what kills them, curse if i lower the res to 1920x1080p on them, they also runs more smooth, so i look forward to see how the Hi13 runs with so high res.

But all in all, its a great Lapbook for the price

I do NOT work for Chuwi. Please DO NOT pm or email me with problems you may have!

Use magic Report

mbaruzzo| Post time 3-6-2017 03:14:44 | Show all posts
Edited by mbaruzzo at 3-6-2017 04:10

Hi Hackerjac,
thanks for sharing your experience.

About the gigabit wired network there is a solution:

https://www.sharkoon.com/product/1688/3PortU3AluHubRJ45TypeC#desc

This usb hub+RJ45 is working flawlessly for me and got gigabit network + connected 4 TB external usb 3.0, all working
Yesterday I did the heatsink mod and the overall performance is better but still not perfect. I still get around 50-55 degrees in idle and max 90 when the CPU is under stress. At least not going over 100 which made the lapbook to go to sleep which was annoying.

I have a question: what is the software you use to test the temperature in real time?

Thanks
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Hackerjac| Post time 3-6-2017 03:23:59 | Show all posts
mbaruzzo replied at 3-6-2017 12:14
Hi Hackerjac,
thanks for sharing your experience.

hwinfo64
https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php
I do NOT work for Chuwi. Please DO NOT pm or email me with problems you may have!

Use magic Report

marrowmonkey| Post time 3-6-2017 11:16:24 | Show all posts
It's too thin for a Ethernet jack I think, chuwi would have had to make it thicker to fit one so probably a compromise there.

I've seen max 85 C when stressing it but I haven't tried to see how far it will go. Haven't tried the heatsink mod, seems a bit to drastic too me (not to mention soldering on new memory ), I'm worried I'll just break something or make it worse. But I did remove the black pouch on top of the metal can and added a silicon pad instead to try transfer some heat to the enclosure. I think the black pouch is there for EMI-shielding thought, it had some silvery material inside. Not sure if it's really needed or not, haven't noticed any problems from removing it so far though.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I would have thought 5 GHz was faster.

Use magic Report

Hackerjac| Post time 3-6-2017 14:27:43 | Show all posts
marrowmonkey replied at 3-6-2017 20:16
It's too thin for a Ethernet jack I think, chuwi would have had to make it thicker to fit one so pro ...

I know its too thin for RJ45 plug, i just miss it

The 5 GHZ might be faster if i put the lapbook another place in my house

Use magic Report

Maxzar| Post time 6-15-2017 11:01:49 | Show all posts
hi,   from Italy

i went to flash Chuwi Lapbook 14.1Bios and it start to install all the stuff and then it went blank screen with the led power light still on. now i cant start the lapbook. it just start at black screen. how do i unbrick it? thanks in advance!

Use magic Report

tom55day| Post time 7-12-2017 15:17:37 | Show all posts

see my post in the download folder its the only fix and is 7/10 complex.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list