ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Notebook Discussion Chuwi Lapbook 14.1 Tweak: Remove metal bar in lapbook 14.1

Follow Us

Tweak: Remove metal bar in lapbook 14.1

[Copy link]

marrowmonkey|Post time:6-2-2017 10:46:21 View:1263|Reply:5

Anyone who has opened up their lapbook has probably noticed the big and heavy metal bar below the keyboard.

I removed mine two weeks ago and my conclusion is that it's not really needed. It's not necessary as a counterbalance nor does it appear to add much extra stiffness. It does add about 12% total weight, so not insignificant. My guess is that Chuwi added it only to make the lapbook feel more expensive, i.e. psychological marketing reasons: a heavy machine "feels" more solid and expensive. Would have been nice with more battery instead if that's the case, but maybe there wasn't room for that. Anyway, if you commute with your lapbook like I do, you can reduce the weight of your bag by about 160 gram (5.6 ounces) by removing it (about 12% of total weight of the lapbook). But do it at your own risk of course, and maybe be extra careful not to bend it afterwards .

Anyway, I'm still very happy with mine. Now even more lightweight.

Use magic Report

deejay1963| Post time 3-9-2017 08:49:08 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
make sure your lapbook does not topple over often, when you fold the screen too far. the iron bar is added as counter balance, as the screen part is far heavier than the keyboard part.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

marrowmonkey| Post time 3-10-2017 07:25:43 | Show all posts
You're wrong, that it was a counter balance was my first thought as well but after removing it it's obvious the keyboard part is heavier than the screen, it won't tip over if you extend the screen to the max or even if you tilt the whole machine even further.
My second thought was that it's necessary for stiffness/strength but that doesn't appear to be the case either, although that is harder to prove and somewhat subjective. If that was the main reason for adding it, it should have been mounted with more than two screws and ideally been a metal piece with a different profile, for example an L shaped bar is much stiffer than a straight bar.
I removed mine a few weeks ago and haven't noticed any problem because of it. Just a tip for those who like lightweight gear.

Use magic Report

deejay1963| Post time 3-11-2017 02:28:26 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Okay.;).......

Use magic Report

Hackerjac| Post time 3-30-2017 12:19:22 | Show all posts
marrowmonkey replied at 3-10-2017 16:25
You're wrong, that it was a counter balance was my first thought as well but after removing it it's  ...

I can confirm the same, have also removed mine and haven't noticed any problems
I do NOT work for Chuwi. Please DO NOT pm or email me with problems you may have!

Use magic Report

fraunos| Post time 6-2-2017 10:46:21 | Show all posts
I guess it works as a heat dissipator, so it's not useless

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list