ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Tablet Discussion Chuwi Hi12 Is it OK to factory reset Android on a Hi12 Dual Boo ...

Follow Us

Is it OK to factory reset Android on a Hi12 Dual Boot z8350?

[Copy link]

mckennal|Post time:3-14-2017 03:19:49 View:758|Reply:13

Edited by mckennal at 3-13-2017 04:16

Full disclosure: I did post this question over on techtablets forum but only got one response which I didn't understand.

I just received a Hi12 dual boot z8350 (from banggood). I want to clean out the Android OS of any bloatware etc. Is it OK to perform a factory reset from within Android?
I'm asking because I've read it's definitely not OK to do a “Reset” from within the Windows OS.
Also, what’s the simplest way to be sure the windows OS hasn’t had bloat/malware added? Is there a simple way to factory reset the Windows OS?
Help appreciated. Thanks.

Use magic Report

deejay1963| Post time 3-13-2017 04:21:24 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
what bloatware is there in the first place, that you want to remove, for which you want to factory reset. android on chuwi is pretty clean and has no bloatware. same with windows. there is no need to factory reset if the tablet is working properly.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

mckennal| Post time 3-13-2017 04:26:46 | Show all posts
I haven't found any bloatware but I'm used to buying phones from China which often come with custom roms full of bloat and malware (usually put on there by resellers). I was pleasantly surprised the Chuwi didn't seem to come laden with bloat but thought it would be safest to do a factory reset if its easy to do.

Use magic Report

linuxslate.com| Post time 3-13-2017 09:54:47 | Show all posts
I agree with deejay1963.  The latest factory Android seems to be a fairly pure implementation of Android 5.1. There is little to none of what I would call "Bloatware".

It does contain com.adups.fota (Google it if you want to known more). In the past, this has been called malware, although there is at least some legitimacy to current versions. (I did not check the installed version).

A factory reset will not remove it since it is on the factory ROM.

If you would like to remove it, you can follow these instructions from one of my previous posts:

http://forum.chuwi.com/forum.php ... 4&fromuid=17400

This may require you to disable verity, and it involves a temporary root.

Note that even if the installed version of adups attempts to grab your IMEI and/or text messages, it is not going to be very successful since this device is not a phone.
-- linuxslate.com

Use magic Report

mckennal| Post time 3-13-2017 15:04:42 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
I am glad to hear that, so sounds like no need to factory reset. As a matter of interest (for any time in the future), is a factory reset in Android possible Does it break anything?

Use magic Report

Hackerjac| Post time 3-13-2017 15:28:07 | Show all posts
I think its possible, when unlocking the bootloader for root, you also wipe anything on the device
I do NOT work for Chuwi. Please DO NOT pm or email me with problems you may have!

Use magic Report

mckennal| Post time 3-13-2017 19:31:18 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Hackerjac, do you think it's ok to use the "Factory Reset" feature within Android without affecting the bootloader or Windows OS? Thanks.

Use magic Report

Hackerjac| Post time 3-13-2017 21:52:24 | Show all posts
mckennal replied at 3-14-2017 04:31
Hackerjac, do you think it's ok to use the "Factory Reset" feature within Android without affecting  ...

If the device is rooted, i think you need to reroot it after factory reset, but i'm not sure, have never done it myself, Windows should be untouched doing factory reset i belive, but again, i can't be sure since i never did a factory reset myself
I do NOT work for Chuwi. Please DO NOT pm or email me with problems you may have!

Use magic Report

mckennal| Post time 3-13-2017 23:44:46 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Thanks Hackerjac. I've only had it a few days, so I might leave it as is for now. I don't think it's rooted, but haven't checked that yet.

Use magic Report

jtrosky| Post time 3-14-2017 03:19:49 | Show all posts
I've done the factory reset from within RemixOS and it works fine, so I suspect that it works fine from within Android as well.

Do yourself a huge favor and replace stock Android with RemixOS!  Not only does it give full windowing capabilities, but it also seems to perform faster.

The biggest "con" of RemixOS is that it doesn't support widgets.  However,  you can install Nova Launcher (or any other launcher really) and get widgets that way (there is a trick to installing alternate launchers in RemixOS - by default, RemixOS wont let you use them.  You just need to disable the stock launcher via the "pm" command in a shell - then alternate launchers and widgets work fine in RemixOS.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

12Next
Return to list
Quick Reply To Top Return to the list