ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Tablet Discussion General Convention [Poll]+[Discussion]: "Tagging" in Thread ...

Follow Us

Convention [Poll]+[Discussion]: "Tagging" in Thread Titles

[Copy link]

ZenBalancer|Post time:5-5-2017 10:16:43 View:494|Reply:8

Edited by ZenBalancer at 3-28-2017 10:53

I noticed late: the "tagging" convention applied by Categories of certain Chuwi sub-forums, and by the same convention additional "tags" are added by typing manually in the thread title, preferably also as a prefix. For example (doesn't exist yet at least, also because of missing Hi13 Category under Tutorials sub-forum):

[Hi13] [Tutorial] HowTo safely "Reset this PC" in Hi13 Windows 10 (convenient alternative to a regular clean install)

The first part [Hi13] would normally be prefixed by the mandatory Category pulldown menu to the left of the thread title input field, when creating new threads in certain sub-forums.

The second one [Tutorial] in this case, is useful as a visual queue and for specific search result queries.

I've noticed the use of the following additional "tags", at least a sample:

[Solved]
[Solved/Moved]
[Request]/Request:
[Official Version]
[Unofficial Version]
[unofficial]
[torrents]
[<Model-name>] (containing mode name)
[<Specs>] (containing some spec)

Non-English:
[Probleme]
[Guida]
[Resulto]

Reference: updated: search for [ because even the simplest searches get a searchID, which expire. So all searches have to be made on the fly until the forum search function is enhanced
What I also noticed is the positioning of the "tags". Some place such a "tag" as a suffix (at the end of the thread title) to preserve the position of the rest of the thread title perhaps, for a used to visual esthetics with the listing in the subforum.

But placing the "tag" for example [Solved] at the beginning of the thread, helps quickly see what's solved and what's not, so more efficient for "scan-reading" lists. It's a common order on a number of forums that have that automated as well with a checkbox to mark it as solved.

These "tags" also facilitate grouped lists using the forum search function results. The on the fly searches might be useful, ontop of a more organized look of thread titles.

For example of advanced search queries created and saved for ease of use (failed attempt, because of expiring searchID):

http://forum.chuwi.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=3673&page=1&extra=#pid20011
Edits: update + correction.

Single Polls, Total 3 Users voted View Voters
0.00% (0)
0.00% (0)
0.00% (0)
0.00% (0)
100.00% (3)
Your User group have no permission to vote
Reply button? Also lists for a response, @username doesn't.
Link: overview of replies to your username. They have to click for theirs.
Chuwi? Time-constrains乁( ◔ ౪◔)「
3: 1+1+1 Links: Laplets vs Tabtops + is Chuwi good or bad? (2017Q2 sample) + After-sales?

Use magic Report

doodzilla| Post time 3-28-2017 09:21:32 | Show all posts
notice: reference link opens nothing (see attachments).

maybe you can take a screenshot and send it, too.
2017-03-29.png
2017-03-29 (1).png

Use magic Report

doodzilla| Post time 3-28-2017 09:25:56 | Show all posts
"What I also noticed is the positioning of the "tags". Some place such a "tag" as a postfix (at the end of the thread title) to preserve the position of the rest of the thread title perhaps, for a used to visual esthetics with the listing in the subforum.

But placing the "tag" for example [Solved] at the beginning of the thread, helps quickly see what's solved and what's not, so more efficient for "scan-reading" lists. It's a common order on a number of forums that have that automated as well with a checkbox to mark it as solved.

These "tags" also facilitate grouped lists using the forum search function results. The on the fly searches might be useful, ontop of a more organized look of thread titles."

I now see your point regarding the recommendation to go with prefix instead of suffix. Will respond accordingly.

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 3-28-2017 10:27:32 | Show all posts
Edited by ZenBalancer at 3-28-2017 11:29
doodzilla replied at 3-28-2017 09:21
notice: reference link opens nothing (see attachments).

maybe you can take a screenshot and send it ...

It was an old searchID. It was in the offline text a long time before I posted it. So now:

Reference: updated: search for [ because even the simplest searches get a searchID, which expire. So all searches have to be made on the fly until the forum search function is enhanced

So in order for the convention to be useful in search result lists as well, tags like [Open] for open issues can be used. And to make a list of all open issues specifically that require Chuwi's attention, the tag [@Chuwi] or just @Chuwi can be added to the title, and the searched for Open @Chuwi. For instance. It's not directed at single Moderator account. Any one should be able to generate the list. And the brackets is a visual convention and only explicitly needed in searching if there are too many different uses of the word "open" in the title.

This way efficient lists might be extracted from the forum and used as an argument for the number of open issues unsolved.

Also an issue or topic can be [Closed] without a solution being relevant. That's why I first preferred "resolved" instead of "solved". But that's not important. [Solved] or [Closed] VS [Open], is pretty clear.

Searching for DCMissue open, gets only 1 result currently. DCMissue is following a different convention I started with there.

I use also [QC] for Quality Control in tandem with [Poll]. Polls can be searched with advanced search and its icon is visible in PC Version of the forum. But the poll icon is not visible in mobile-version/Wap, and also now searching for [Poll] shows all of my polls.

This tagging in titles for visual cues is one thing, but it only works well for generating lists because the forum search function exclusively uses the thread title to find a match. Otherwise advanced search (if an option was there to search for thread titles only) or full tag references while searching like [Open] instead of just open, would be needed.

Just some ideas and use cases.

Edits: typo + update.
3: 1+1+1 Links: Laplets vs Tabtops + is Chuwi good or bad? (2017Q2 sample) + After-sales?

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 3-28-2017 10:50:34 | Show all posts
Edited by ZenBalancer at 3-29-2017 06:04
doodzilla replied at 3-28-2017 09:25
"What I also noticed is the positioning of the "tags". Some place such a "tag" as a postfix (at the  ...

Also thanks, I did mean suffix. I misremembered as "postfix".

Update: also 3 examples of suffix with caps: | SOLVED

http://forum.chuwi.com/thread-3796-1-1.html

http://forum.chuwi.com/thread-2689-1-1.html

http://forum.chuwi.com/thread-3806-1-1.html

That's why I didn't think this was a solid idea and didn't post until you mentioned [Solved] convention preference instead of (Resolved between parentheses; was just preliminary placeholder example without exploring the established conventions on the forum), which I noticed at some point as I noticed the uses in other threads, as clarified in the original thread post. Otherwise I would not have adopted the use of brackets that much.

Many deviations is unavoidable. And this has other downsides. I suggested adding a public issue tracking system next to the FAQ system and this forum. Because this convention on the forum, and emailing support, is far from an ideal solution by itself. Can't see what Chuwi is busy with, progress on open issues. Assigned to whom. How busy Chuwi is in general throughout the day, a graph for least busy times.

Edits: typos + update.

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 4-5-2017 02:31:58 | Show all posts
doodzilla replied at 3-28-2017 09:25
"What I also noticed is the positioning of the "tags". Some place such a "tag" as a postfix (at the  ...

You might want to consider [Answered] when applicable instead of [Solved] if you don't want to use [Closed].

Like for e.g. [Answered] Does the Hi10 Plus work with the Hi12 keyboard?
Instead of [Solved] Does the Hi10 Plus work with the Hi12 keyboard?

1. Because it's a question not so much a problem with a product.
2. The "problem" isn't fixed, because ideally you would want a universal keyboard dock fitting multiple Chuwi products even of different sizes, it's not impossible.

Also in the case of: [Solved] Anyone who got home their Chuwi hi13 already?

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 4-14-2017 10:37:10 | Show all posts
I just noticed there actually exists an integrated tagging system in the forum, see example: http://forum.chuwi.com/misc.php?mod=tag&id=9&type=thread

But I don't know how to tag a thread with a post. And whether only the OP's original post may tag the thread.

This might be helpful for (sub)forum moderators to create overviews for specific problems, like microSD card reader issues. Currently many posts linking to many subforums, while if tagged, a tag can be clicked to see all of the threads in individual subforums with the problem.
Edits: clarity.

Use magic Report

doodzilla| Post time 5-5-2017 09:49:10 | Show all posts
ZenBalancer replied at 4-15-2017 02:37
I just noticed there actually exists an integrated tagging system in the forum, see example: http:// ...

Just join the subforum mods already! Hehehe. That way there is less chance of you getting "undertreated" by moderators who have less qualifications than you regarding Chuwi discussion ability. And I'm curious what you'd bring to the table as mod. Don't worry; you don't have to explain your reason for not joining again. I've already read it the first time hehe. ZenBalancer: the forum member ultimate underdog!

Anyway, so far I'm not getting how to use the integrated tagging either.

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 5-5-2017 10:16:43 | Show all posts
Edited by ZenBalancer at 5-5-2017 21:11
doodzilla replied at 5-5-2017 18:49
Just join the subforum mods already! Hehehe. That way there is less chance of you getting "undertr ...

But then I wouldn't be able to evolve from Gold to Senior.
And would be too power blinded to feel the plights of the "common people". It happened to me in the past. It will happen to me again.

Either what I say makes sense, or it doesn't. I'm up for a debate now and then. It's good to find out what people are made of, verbally speaking. Mod or not.

And I can't promise absolute commitment to Chuwi nor the community.
If you see my room.. my devices and files everywhere, and peak in my biological brain, you'll understand. I want the Hi13 to help me. Not to become my full-time job nor part-time job.

And I wanted to be somewhat functional online, after a number of difficult years, and a lot of backlog feedback and notes to process in my head and on my computer.

This is just a conventions related threads.
I try to be neutral-good, but I always express myself chaotic-neutral-good from my perspective meant well. I don't know anyone in those pictures, so I found the question by the image compiler appropriate:

/Offtopic.

Edit: typo.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list