ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Tablet Discussion Chuwi Hi13 Hi13 screen-size/weight relevant perspectives

Follow Us

Hi13 screen-size/weight relevant perspectives

[Copy link]

ZenBalancer|Post time:4-8-2017 05:12:02 View:364|Reply:14

Edited by ZenBalancer at 4-8-2017 05:08

If you won't be needing the screen size, then you might prefer the smaller tablets. Like the following customer that can't even justify getting along with the weight of the Hi12 which is lighter than Hi13:
I'm sticking with the Hi10 Pro or Hi10 Plus now (can't decide which I like better - I like the size, shape and quality of the Hi10 Plus screen better but like the keyboard of the Hi10 Pro better.  :-)  

Even though the Hi10 Plus is only 10.8", it seems so much bigger becuase of the aspect ratio..  Both the Pro and the Plus have a better screen than the Hi12 (my Hi12 has a LOT of light bleed and it's so freaking heavy).  I'll be selling the Hi12 for sure - especially because of how bad the keyboard dock is  

Who know, I might just end up keeping both the Pro and the Plus (I got the Pro at a fantastic price).  

-- http://forum.chuwi.com/forum.php ... 21477&fromuid=19651

For those like me, you might rest the tablet on one side-edge on the upper side of your legs, or while laying back, then resting that edge on your abdomen. And use one hand for holding and deciding the angle and the other hand to support and help type and navigate and or make notes with the stylus.

I also find myself folding one leg against the back side of the front seat in the bus, or while just sitting anywhere flat and leaning on some sufficiently comfortable back-support. Then resting my (refurbished) Surface Pro 1, resting it against my folded leg at an ideal angle.

Even though SP1 is about 200grams lighter than the Hi13, but SP1 being slightly heavier than the Hi12. And SP1 has clearly a smaller screen and narrow aspect ratio than Hi12, but SP1 is also clearly an older model. Hi12 having the exact Samsung screen that was previously exclusive to the SP3 (ref. TechTablets guy).

I guess that the Surface Book screen is no longer exclusive, otherwise Chuwi would not be able to use it in the Hi13. TechTableys guy clarifies (I'm paraphrasing) that a fully laminated screen adds noticably to cost and that Chinese manufacturers can't easily justify it as an added-value compared to more clear other features. Except for higher-end models on the market.

Personally I want the big surface, and am willing to tolerate the device-weight until further relevant improvements in the further future. I don't think on the short-term an improved Hi13 could bring down the weight that much. So depending on your needs, you might need to go for a smaller screen for now.

When there is an adequate table, I use a portable tablet stand with adjustable and lockable angles. Especially handy for portrait-mode /vertically/"full pages" on the table, which integrated kick-stands can NOT offer any other angle other than 90° in portrait-mode.

And keep in mind we're talking about a tablet/2in1.

Edits: clarity, addition + improvements.

Use the Reply button, for the user to know.
@username won't be listed for a response.
Chuwi? Time-constrains...
2: 1+1 Links: is Chuwi good or bad? + After-sales?

Use magic Report

Hackerjac| Post time 4-5-2017 13:59:03 | Show all posts
I'm starting to considder cancling my Hi13 order at Gearbest, and then wait and see if a upgraded version will come with more ram and might be a faster cpu as well
I do NOT work for Chuwi. Please DO NOT pm or email me with problems you may have!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 4-5-2017 14:45:40 | Show all posts
Edited by ZenBalancer at 4-8-2017 05:13
Hackerjac replied at 4-5-2017 13:59
I'm starting to considder cancling my Hi13 order at Gearbest, and then wait and see if a upgraded ve ...

Since I "need" to upgrade from my 2 * Surface Pro 1 setup to bigger screens with higher PPI, that's also a reason for me to wait on ordering the second Hi13 for my primary "workhorse".

I assume the price will go up for better specs, so as long performance and stylus experience is good for reading and note taking and light browsing, then I consider a lower price for this one with just enough specs a good deal for me. I'm sure there will be something much lighter and equal or better in other regards in the further future. I started in the 2in1s convertible style laptop in 2007. So the Hi13 is at least to me a treat even in comparison to the SP1 in most regards. Hopefully amongst them is low temperature in normal use and while charging.

But if you want it as your primary "workhorse", then yes, you might have been impatient by ordering. I think canceling it in your case is the safer option. Especially since you have enough alternative machines until the "perfect" one becomes available. The Hipen H3 should remain compatible with the improved Hi13, but how will you test if it works before disputing deadline passes?

And your consideration isn't weight related in this case as far as I can see. We should feel more unrestrained in opening new threads focussing on something specific. Like "Who else is waiting for a better Hi13?".

Edits: clsrity + maybe make that one a poll: "Are you waiting for an upgraded Hi13?"

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 4-6-2017 03:37:35 | Show all posts
Edited by ZenBalancer at 4-6-2017 04:32

I remember one article that was in anticipation of the Surface Pro 5 (now "rumoured" to be released end of October) with 4k display option and Kaby Lake Intel CPU-GPU, that author of the article wished it could have been at least slightly bigger than the Surface Pro 4 12.3inch. Like the upgrade from Surface Pro 3 to 4 with 0.3inch bigger screen same 3:2 aspect ratio.

But the person also speculated that Microsoft might not want to confuse the user-base nor cost it sales of the Surface Book 13.5inch also 3:2. The SP4 and SB both having "retina quality" PPI density of around 267.

So we have as of now SP3@12inch then SP4@12.3inch then iPadPro@12.9inch then SB@13.5inch. But the tablet-mode of the SB being lighter and actually thinner (7-8mm) than the Hi13 (measured 9- closer to 10mm by TechTablets guy), so the SB tablet-mode comes not only at the cost of much higher price but also clearly lower battery-time undocked thus in actual tablet-mode. With its dock folded for extra battery time and performance Nvidia GPU (only in select more expensive versions) only then does it best the Hi13 in battery and even more inperformance, but clearly at the cost of weight/holding-efforts becoming much thicker and heavier than Hi13.

So the battle of tablet(-mode) screen-size+PPI VS battery VS weight VS price, can only be won over time in more fundamental high tech industrial achievements in material, components and design. Like using "paper-thin" screens if not yet the case, and higher capacity lighter battery if not yet invented to be much better, and some composite material for the body as light and strong as possible like airplanes, and all equally affordable.

Heading somewhere like that, could then clearly be the next "leap" in a better handheld experience with tablet(-mode). Assuming that remains relevant, if not a different tech making it irrelevant. I don't see how within a decade, like Augmented Reality allowing any object to behave as it would in real life but its effect captured in the digital overlay and stored. Microsoft Pixelsense style in the Hololens maybe, but that headset has its own disadvantages, besides price. You can't just get that out of the bag anywhere put it on and read and write.

My point is every set of use-cases clearly will remain "needing" a more suitable device as well as "major leaps" in the material and tech and practicalities-oriented designs over time.
Edits: improvements.

Use magic Report

deejay1963| Post time 4-6-2017 05:05:33 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
2.4 kg weight of hi13 with keyboard and charger is hardly you can call portable. better to add some more money and get a real 13.3"  laptop , with real graphic chip and a powerful cpu.

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 4-6-2017 11:08:44 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Edited by ZenBalancer at 4-6-2017 14:48
deejay1963 replied at 4-6-2017 05:05

2.4 kg weight of hi13 with keyboard and charger is hardly you can call portable. better to add some more money and get a real 13.3"  laptop , with real graphic chip and a powerful cpu.

You go do that. Try portrait mode with that powerful laptop. Sit back on the couch or chair with the full weight of the non-detachable screen and its base, while not wanting to type, but stuck with laptop. Have fun scrolling just for seeing one page partially at any one time. A paper book becomes better experience suddenly.

You don't need it? Oh, sorry. I don't know why you're considering Hi13 then. Total weight is optional: http://forum.chuwi.com/forum.php ... 21443&fromuid=19651

Hi13 is for maximum flexibility at affordable price in comparison to the Surface Book. There is an advantages thread of the Hi13 over Surface Book.

If you want your arguments to make Chuwi focus on releasing maximum laptop specs for minimal costs, then get to know the other target customers. Chuwi has more tablets than laptops. Being more technical doesn't give you license to understand non-technical experiences, like those who are more practical for non-typing nor "heavy" use-cases i.e. me at least.

Tablet buyers don't know they need a laptop-only solution? Is that what you're saying?

Edit: clarity.

Edit+: FWIW I appreciate your device-weight related perspectives. It's valid. It's just not complete, either. Which I clarified, although emotionally loaded. That's a clear indication about my nonsensical pseudonym in practice as well as fundamentally.

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 4-6-2017 12:20:23 | Show all posts
Edited by ZenBalancer at 4-7-2017 04:42

There is an interesting idea in the Hi13 weight regard, but with its downsides: http://forum.chuwi.com/forum.php ... 21542&fromuid=19651

But let's keep Hi13 (docked + undocked) weight related perspectives in here please.

Edits: clarity.

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 4-7-2017 04:34:05 | Show all posts
Edited by ZenBalancer at 4-7-2017 04:41

Want to know what device size and weight might be "wacky"? Say hello to relativism: https://youtu.be/0smm4tPBUnM
That's not meant as a handheld for longer sessions even if the device is mostly supported by your lap or abdomen ("total immersion" much?). It's more of an "outdated Android" portable multimedia station "on the go". It's more portable than a general TV or monitor.

Relativism.

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 4-7-2017 07:29:14 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Edited by ZenBalancer at 4-7-2017 07:34

Lenovo is "dabbeling" with a new "form factor" and components "distribution", to lower tablet-mode weight especially I guess. But it's a very different concept (called Blade) than we're used to, and as often "look out for the price" (unkown?): http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/lenovo-shows-off-blade-windows-10-2-in-1-device/

And doesn't seem lap-mode-friendly (screen+keyboard on the lap test) or in that mode misses angle-adjustment. It's an innovative design FWIW.

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 4-8-2017 05:12:02 | Show all posts
I improved my original post starting this thread, with additional practical tips to further expand on my relevant perspective/"use-cases" in this regard.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

12Next
Return to list
Quick Reply To Top Return to the list