ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Tablet Discussion Chuwi Hi10 charging problem - nasty consequence [hi10 pro]

Follow Us

charging problem - nasty consequence [hi10 pro]

[Copy link]

mimble|Post time:4-23-2017 09:45:11 View:921|Reply:27

jtrosky| Post time 4-19-2017 12:06:24 | Show all posts
I don't know if you're referring to me or not, but I'm certainly not lying!  I'm just stating what I've experienced.  I don't watch movies on my tablet, so if it's only an issue when watching movies, then I guess I won't experience it.  With what I do in WIndows, I haven't had any charging issues (other than the issue I mentioned above).  Personally, I really don't care if you believe me or not and I certaianly don't feel the need to spend my time to "prove" anything to you.  Stop calling people liars...  What do I have to gain by lying about it??
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 4-19-2017 17:31:07 | Show all posts
jtrosky replied at 4-19-2017 21:06
I don't know if you're referring to me or not, but I'm certainly not lying!  I'm just stating what I ...

His POV is that he wants to eliminate all doubt, by having proof. I don't think it's personal. If you don't have interest in proving when it works fine and when it doesn't, then don't get sucked into it. Maybe someone else will show him proof that it's not all of them with this issue. Because otherwise a lot more would have problems. Chances are higher that Chuwi sold more good ones than those having 1 second intervals intermittent charging issue.
Reply button? Also lists for a response, @username doesn't.
Chuwi? Time-constrains乁( ◔ ౪◔)「
3: 1+1+1 Links: Laplets vs Tabtops + is Chuwi good or bad? + After-sales?

Use magic Report

jtrosky| Post time 4-20-2017 05:43:01 | Show all posts
My point was simply that calling people liars is NOT a good way to get help in diagnosing the issue!  :-)  There are many variables here and to assume that everyone has this issue and calling people liars if they say that they have not experienced the issue is very "small minded" and rude.  

It may turn out that I do have this issue under certain circumstances  - I was just stating that I have not *experienced* this issue with my uses - not that it absolutely doesn't exist.  But regardless, I'm not going to go out of my way to "prove" anything to someone that calls me a liar.  :-)  Also - even if it does happen, besides that one command taking longer, is it really causing any other issues?  I just think that either a) it doesn't affect all devices or b) it does affect all devices, but most people don't even notice it because it doesn't cause any issues for them and they may not even notice it or consider it a "problem" at all.  

Anyway, carry on....  :-)

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 4-20-2017 08:51:39 | Show all posts
jtrosky replied at 4-20-2017 14:43
My point was simply that calling people liars is NOT a good way to get help in diagnosing the issue! ...

It's much more clear now. For whom you replied to as well.
Reply button? Also lists for a response, @username doesn't.
Chuwi? Time-constrains乁( ◔ ౪◔)「
3: 1+1+1 Links: Laplets vs Tabtops + is Chuwi good or bad? + After-sales?

Use magic Report

mimble| Post time 4-20-2017 23:04:15 | Show all posts
is it really causing any other issues?

Yes, it is in several ways.
1. When windows detects power coming in or off, it takes a number of actions. It talks to various devices ranging from the screen to the wlan chip and asks them to change their behaviour. This is expensive (computationally), but it should not happen very often. How frequently do you pull the plug and put it back ?
With the chuwi problem, it is happening once a second.
2. The ACPI maintains counts of power transitions and battery status. These lose their meaning, so when windows says, "2 hrs till fully charged" it is meaningless. If you have a look at the number of power charge/discharge cycles, it is an astronomical number. You cannot use windows' facilities to track battery history.
3. If you have a look at the other reports on this issue, you will see people complaining about the screen flickering. This occurs if you have the screen brightness set differently for powered/on battery.

Other than these issues, there is nothing to worry about.

Use magic Report

jtrosky| Post time 4-21-2017 05:12:11 | Show all posts
Edited by jtrosky at 4-21-2017 05:14
mimble replied at 4-20-2017 23:04
1. When windows detects power coming in or off, it takes a number of ac ...

Just to get a little more clarification on this issue...  When this happens, does Windows actually think that the AC charger was completely removed or that it's still connected, but not charging?  I was under the impression that Windows thought that the AC cord was still connected, but just not charging (in which case, it woudn't cause any screen brightness changes, etc, since it's still connected to AC power)...

I tried my best to make this happen last night and could not get it to happen for the life of me.  I tried playing a Netflix video for over 20 minutes while charging, letting my car tuner software playback a log file (lots of chaning charts, graphs, data updates, etc - very CPU intensive) while charging, browsing with multiple tabs, etc...  No matter what I do or how long I did it, Windows continued to charge the tablet and never once went to "not charging"....  

I'm just not seeing the issue....

Also - do you have an HQ serial number or some other serial number?  I'm wondering if maybe this only affects the HQ models since they seem to use differernt hardware....

Use magic Report

mimble| Post time 4-22-2017 04:31:28 | Show all posts
No matter what I do or how long I did it, Windows continued to charge the tablet and never once went to "not charging"....  

I should have written "on battery" instead of "not charging.

If you have a minute try two things.
1. In settings under display, set the display to very bright when plugged in. Set it to be quite dim on battery. Now use your tablet while it is less than 95% charged.
If you have the problem, you will see flickering of the display. This is what caught people's attention initially.

2. From a command line (powershell or cmd) try a "powercfg /batteryreport"
Do you see a small or astronomical number of power cycles ?
Thanks.

Use magic Report

mimble| Post time 4-22-2017 04:36:06 | Show all posts
jtrosky replied at 4-21-2017 05:12
Just to get a little more clarification on this issue...  When this happens, does Windows actually  ...
Also - do you have an HQ serial number or some other serial number?

Mine, with the problem, starts with HQ64G...

For fun, go to a command line and try
wmic bios get serialnumber
Somehow, I am not surprised that this works on every other windows box, but not the chuwi.

Use magic Report

jtrosky| Post time 4-22-2017 05:16:52 | Show all posts
Interestingly, mine reports the serial number just fine and the number of charge cycles is fine: Hi10Pro_SerialNumber.JPG

And here is the "title page" of the battery report showing the number of cycles:

Battery Report

Battery Report

However, this may not prove much becuase I mainly use my Hi10 Pro in Android.  I only go into Windows when I want to test something like this, if I need to do something at work while "out and about" or if I need to use my HPTuners car tuning software...

Also, all Chuwi devices come with the serial number set to "0123456789ABCDEF" in the BIOS.  I found that they do that because if the serial number is set to teh actual serial number when Andoid is installed, it won't successfully connect to th Play store - it has to be "0123456789ABCDEF" when installing Android....  After Android is installed, you can change it to the actual serial number if you want (via the AMIEDIT Windows app).

I already had my battery and AC power brightness set very differernly - and I am positive that the device never went to "On battery" while doing my earlier testing (I even had little battery icon "expanded" to monitor battery/ac power while testing).  It stayed on AC power the entire time I was testing.

I have a feeling that this is an HQ64-only device issue....

Use magic Report

alfred| Post time 4-23-2017 09:45:11 | Show all posts
mimble replied at 4-20-2017 23:04
1. When windows detects power coming in or off, it takes a number of ac ...

There are still more consequences of this charging problem. I often have the device plugged in and expect it to go to sleep if I go away for a while.
As you know, windows will wake a device up, if you plug it in or out.
The chuwi tablet thinks it is continually being plugged in and out, so it will not go to sleep when it is plugged in.

I am beginning to feel like some of the others who have posted here. There is a real problem. The manufacturer has decided to make no comment and shows no interest in a solution. If it is a matter of firmware updates, maybe the problem can even be fixed.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list