ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Tablet Discussion General Laplets vs Tabtops (a major difference in 2in1 devic ...

Follow Us

Laplets vs Tabtops (a major difference in 2in1 devices)

[Copy link]

ZenBalancer|Post time:4-14-2017 17:11:08 View:100|Reply:0

Edited by ZenBalancer at 4-19-2017 17:01

I didn't know the term "Laplet" until doodzilla used it. Then I found googling it, "Tabtop".

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The Surface Book is truly a laplet. So is the Hi13, Hi12, and others. Hi13 "overview": http://forum.chuwi.com/thread-3853-1-1.html And Hi13 advantages over Surface Book: http://forum.chuwi.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=3710

The Surface Pro 4, 3, etc.. are tabtops. So are their ("improved") "clones", like the recent Chuwi SurBook (+mini) and that of competitors.

True laplets ("tablets on the lap") necessitate counterweight in the pogo rotary docking keyboard, to pass the lap-mode test. No way around that. To be able to sit "anywhere" with a laplet (screen+keyboard) on the lap to type with the physical keyboard advantages in landscape mode, without a "table". The only way to bring down the total weight, is by making the tablet part lighter, requiring less counterweight in the keyboard. That takes industry wide market progress both in innovation but even more importantly in affordability, without "watering down" specs too much. So unlike e-readers (Sony has a 13.3inch with active stylus support), very light with e-reader advantages, but much more limited in other respects. In regards to Hi13 weight, see: http://forum.chuwi.com/forum.php ... light=Hi13%2Bweight

Tabtops (tablet on the table, I assume table-tops) complete with its keyboard, are by nature lighter (total weight) than laplets of the same size. As far as comparing same class-ranges at least. But at the cost of not supporting lap-mode. Being dependant on the limitation of the integrated  kickstands. And there are tabtops that are "table-only" because of the size, like 18inch+.

Lap-mode is good for typing with a physical keyboard+screen on the lap of the user, while the user sits "anywhere", and thus without a suitable "table" to use. Good for:
  • Park bench
  • Benches on the way
  • Sitting on grass with back against something, a tree or each other.
  • Places with barely room on the table for a refreshment
  • Waiting rooms for appointments (not gambling with table height etc..)
  • Waiting benches
  • Waiting for flights
  • Waiting for trains
  • In the (busy) train with limited tables
  • In airplanes
  • In the bus
  • Carpooling and not driving
  • Taxi
  • Uber
  • Stairs
  • On the beach, preferably the device not under direct sunlight
  • Sitting back on a recliner with leg support
  • Using a "La-Z-boy"
  • Sitting back on the couch, not having to lean forward
  • On the bed
  • Even maybe in a hammock
  • Etc.. since I'm sure those are not all examples.

It's what you can do with laplets, without being limited with a laptop-only device. Laptops are needed for "power use-cases", not maximum flexibility.

Edit: And forgot to mention, there is the "yoga twist" solutions, that are very ambiguous.. because it has lap-mode, and tablet-mode, but the latter (tablet-mode) most of them not optimal for handheld (holding it) because of the undetachable total weight and keyboard keys being pressed when the device has to be folded (not sure whether they have implemented a solution for this, but keys would be pressed either way, with very few exceptions). So in that sense it's often "tableTablet+lap-mode/laptop". So not completely a laplet, nor completely a (handheld-friendly) tabtop. Like I said there are very few exceptions in that regard that I have seen. Mind the price of those for the specs. /Edit.

For tabtops to be used in lap-mode, it needs 3rd party keyboards with limited to no angle adjustments, and limited compatibility for "big" screens. And the cheap tabtops don't even offer an integrated kickstand with an ideal angle possibility on the table, even if adjustable at two angles at least.

And if you like table-mode portrait-mode (on the table) as well, then the integrated kickstand focused on landscape-mode angle(s) is of no help there either. I'm putting my (refurbished) Surface Pro 1 with its integrated kickstand with its single annoying angle, putting it on a portable tablet stand anyway. And also the other in portrait-mode also on the same table next to it on yet another tablet stand. See: http://forum.chuwi.com/thread-3889-1-1.html

If you want a lighter device+itsKeyboard for the same price, you'll have to choose something else other than a laplet. Because again there is noway around the counterweight. If I'm not missing something.

Ultrabooks are the lightest laptop-only solution, that still means no handheld or table-top adjustable angles portrait-mode support.

Something having less total weight, does not make it more practical in every way in practice for portability purposes, with the only exception being lowering carrying weight, at the cost of possible use-case-scenarios when choosing a tabtop or ultrabook over a laplet.

But if you have to walk a lot, or carrying a lot of other things too (maybe textbooks or unrelated stuff) you will be bummed down by the total carrying weight. So you will have to forgo the Laplet advantages, or getting a smaller screen; yet even that has downsides and still can't beat Tabtops and Ultrabooks in the same class-range as far as for the purposes of bringing down total carrying weight, with minimum sacrifice of specs or at the cost of much higher price.

"Repurposing" a carry-on-case, might change the possibilities when needed.

Edits: clarity, improvements + addition.

Use the Reply button, for the user to know.
@username won't be listed for a response.
Chuwi? Time-constrains...
2: 1+1 Links: is Chuwi good or bad? + After-sales?

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list