ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Tablet Discussion Chuwi Hi13 USB Ubuntu boot disk not working?

Follow Us

USB Ubuntu boot disk not working?

[Copy link]

ibm555|Post time:4-24-2017 08:18:51 View:1017|Reply:21

Edited by ibm555 at 4-19-2017 12:12

I have tried several times to create an USB boot disk (Ubuntu) using the description in the Chuwi user group tutorial section. When I try to boot the HI13 from the USB disk I end up with a blank, black screen and a single “_” character  in the upper left corner. The bios is updated to the latest version.   Are others having the same problem?

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 4-19-2017 04:21:10 | Show all posts
Edited by ZenBalancer at 4-19-2017 13:26

So far TechTablets guy is the only 3rd party that tested Ubuntu with good results (yet needing scaling) on the Hi13. But I don't remember how much details in that regard, he went into in his first video. He didn't go into many details in that regard as far as I remember.  But he might offer a clue?
Edit: clarity + typo.
Reply button? Also lists for a response, @username doesn't.
Chuwi? Time-constrains乁( ◔ ౪◔)「
3: 1+1+1 Links: Laplets vs Tabtops + is Chuwi good or bad? + After-sales?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

ibm555| Post time 4-19-2017 11:14:32 | Show all posts
Edited by ibm555 at 4-19-2017 11:17
ZenBalancer replied at 4-19-2017 04:21
So far TechTablets guy is the only 3rd party that tested Ubuntu with good results (yet needing scali ...

Thanks. I have added a posting in the Tech-tablets forum. Would be nice to test this out... :-)

Use magic Report

glpub| Post time 4-22-2017 16:22:39 | Show all posts
Edited by glpub at 4-22-2017 16:23

Hi

I was able to first boot into arch linux using refind bootloader. After that I played a little bit with RemixOS image, replaced grub with refind and was able to boot RemixOS. Actually it is not usable - I can see only first configuration screen, touchscreen doesn't work, touchpad very slow.

I guess that ubuntu and other linux distribs use grub and it doesn't work on Hi13 (I suspect that it sets some video settings which do not fit Hi13 and stuck on that step)

Use magic Report

ibm555| Post time 4-23-2017 11:48:53 | Show all posts
Thanks for your input. It would be nice if Chuwi could tell us how Ubuntu should be implemented on the Hi-13. A tutorial or something would be nice...

Use magic Report

steward00| Post time 4-23-2017 15:06:26 | Show all posts
ibm555 replied at 4-23-2017 11:48
Thanks for your input. It would be nice if Chuwi could tell us how Ubuntu should be implemented on t ...

urgently needed

Use magic Report

Hackerjac| Post time 4-23-2017 16:31:28 | Show all posts
ZenBalancer replied at 4-19-2017 14:21
So far TechTablets guy is the only 3rd party that tested Ubuntu with good results (yet needing scali ...

As far i remember he was running it from the USB stick and diden't had it installed on the eMMC
I do NOT work for Chuwi. Please DO NOT pm or email me with problems you may have!

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 4-23-2017 17:21:28 | Show all posts
Edited by ZenBalancer at 4-24-2017 03:00
Hackerjac replied at 4-24-2017 01:31
As far i remember he was running it from the USB stick and diden't had it installed on the eMMC

The SurBook is also advertised as supporting Ubuntu, so something has to be on the way to clarify how to replace Windows completely, or if it's possible to go dual boot without any negative side effects, with the exception of splitting the already limited storage. I don't understand that, it's just not practical (Edit: from my viewpoint). Just choose an OS, and stick with it until you have enough good reasons to switch.

Edit: also OP started and focussed on external Ubuntu over USB, not on internal emmc. So not sure what feedback he got from TechTablets forum.

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 4-23-2017 18:02:47 | Show all posts
ibm555 replied at 4-19-2017 20:14
Thanks. I have added a posting in the Tech-tablets forum. Would be nice to test this out... :-)

So what was the feedback? Since he did get it working over USB according to what Hackerjac understood from the vid as well.

Use magic Report

glpub| Post time 4-24-2017 08:18:51 | Show all posts
Short "how to" make bootable disk for your distributive (made that for Arch, RemixOS and Android-IA, with some changes applicable for other distros)

prerequest: you need Linux installed somewhere else and downloaded iso

1. Put flashdrive into your linux box (assuming it is formatted with fat32 filesystem) and mount it: sudo mount /dev/sdx1 /mnt/flash
2. Install refind-efi package (can be just refind - check with your distro documentation). For arch: sudo pacman -S refind-efi
3. Mount your distro iso to somewhrere: sudo mount -o loop /path/to/file.iso /mnt/distro
4. Copy files from iso to flash: cp -r /mnt/distro/* /mnt/flash
5. Replace grub bootloader with refind:
  • rm -rf /mnt/flash/efi
  • mkdir -p /mnt/flash/efi/boot
  • cp /usr/share/refind/refind_x64.efi /mnt/flash/efi/boot/bootx64.efi
  • cp /usr/share/refind/refind.conf-sample /mnt/flash/efi/boot/refind.conf
6. Now comes some hard stuff - you need to configure refind according old grub config and flashdrive U
  • lsblk -f - find here UUID for your flashdrive (967F-722C in my case)
  • vim /mnt/distro/boot/grub/grub.conf - find here menuentry with kernel and initrd, eg:

menuentry 'ANDROID-IA Live Boot (2017-04-23)' --class android-ia {
        linux /kernel enforcing=0 androidboot.selinux=permissive vga=current i915.modeset=1 drm.atomic=1 i915.nuclear_pageflip=1 drm.vblankoffdelay=1 i915.fastboot=1 root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=androidia_64 androidboot.selinux=permissive firmware_class.path=/vendor/firmware iTCO_wdt.force_no_reboot=1 buildvariant=eng LIVE=1 quiet
        initrd /initrd.img
}

• vim /mnt/flash/efi/boot/refind.conf - go to the bottom of the file and add:

menuentry "ANDROID-IA Live Boot kernel 4.9" {
    volume 967F-722C
    loader kernel
    initrd initrd.img
    options "enforcing=0 androidboot.selinux=permissive vga=current i915.modeset=1 drm.atomic=1 i915.nuclear_pageflip=1 drm.vblankoffdelay=1 i915.fastboot=1 root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=androidia_64 androidboot.selinux=permissive firmware_class.path=/vendor/firmware iTCO_wdt.force_no_reboot=1 buildvariant=eng LIVE=1 "
}

7. unmount the flashdrive and try to boot into (press f12 to get into boot menu)

that's it!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list