ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Tablet Discussion General [Poll] An Alternative to the Celeron N3450

Follow Us

[Poll] An Alternative to the Celeron N3450

[Copy link]

zldd|Post time:5-4-2017 11:07:17 View:377|Reply:9

Edited by Techdragonz at 5-7-2017 18:33

Would you be willing to pay $54 extra for Y4410 instead of N3450 for a noticeably smoother experience on your Chuwi computer? Read more below.

I realize a forum isnot the proper place to make a formal request or provide feedback,but I thought it'd be productive to see if people would be interestedin an alternative to the N3450 SoC used in the upper-end of Chuwi'slineup.

Living with aslower, low-end SoC in a 10” tablet that's not used on a dailybasis is much easier than doing the same on your primary computer.Chuwi's LapBook 14.1 and Hi13 and at least two upcoming products aremeant and advertised as PC replacements; many people buy theseproducts for use as their primary computer. The N3450 is a decentlittle chip, but when you have to use it and rely on it every day itcan fall a little short, especially when paired with ahigh-resolution display.

A great budget alternativeto N3450 would be 4410Y -  it's a chip based on Intel's flagshiparchitecture Kaby Lake, and not Atom like N3450, and it has a muchfaster graphics processor; both of which would help a lot. It's a 6Wchip like N3450 so it'd be an easy, drop-in replacement. And the bestnews is that 4410Y only costs $54 more.

I've used a laptop poweredby 4405Y, which is a slightly older version of 4410Y, running Windows10 and it was noticeably smoother than Chuwi's Hi13.

What do you guys think?I'm of the opinion that most people would be willing to pay the smallpremium for a noticeably improved experience on their everyday Chuwicomputer.

Vote in the poll and share your thoughts below.

Would you be willing to pay $54 extra for Y4410 instead of N3450 for a noticeably smoother experience on your Chuwi computer?
Single Polls, Total 9 Users voted
Your User group have no permission to vote

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 5-3-2017 07:10:02 | Show all posts
Edited by ZenBalancer at 5-3-2017 20:35

Admin hinted months ago at the M3 for a possible next Hi13 or Pro.
Maybe also Lapbook Pro?
Btw, kudus for this thread.
You're aware your avatar is a "close up" of Emily's of this forum? Just checking.
Edit: I voted Yes. I prefered seeing the voters, and votes, for others who are not registered as well. To see the result, without having to participate as well.
Reply button? Also lists for a response, @username doesn't.
Link: overview of replies to your username. They have to click for theirs.
Chuwi? Time-constrains乁( ◔ ౪◔)「
3: 1+1+1 Links: Laplets vs Tabtops + is Chuwi good or bad? (2017Q2 sample) + After-sales?

Use magic Report

Hackerjac| Post time 5-3-2017 11:41:02 | Show all posts
The CPU might only be $54 more expensive than the N3450, but you forget that a new chipset suporting that cpu is also needed, and that Chuwi have to earn some money on it also, i belive it would probbely be more like $100 insted
I do NOT work for Chuwi. Please DO NOT pm or email me with problems you may have!

Use magic Report

zldd| Post time 5-4-2017 05:04:14 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
ZenBalancer replied at 5-3-2017 07:10
Admin hinted months ago at the M3 for a possible next Hi13 or Pro.
Maybe also Lapbook Pro?
Btw, kudu ...

Core m3 is nice but it's much more expensive than either N3450, or 4410Y. It's a full-price chip in the sense that it costs exactly as much as any mid-high range Intel SoC - most i5's usually found in laptops. They might as well go for an m5 (now known as i5 Y-series) since it costs the same as an m3; if battery life and thermals remain acceptable, that is. In any case, the end cost of the device would be much harder to swallow.

Yeah, the avatar... that's a funny story - when I first tried to make a post, it wouldn't let me because I didn't have an avatar so I just copied the first one I saw out of frustration, no idea why it's zoomed, the flash plugin was in Chinese so I did a botched job of figuring it out. Sorry about that. I will try to change it soon.

If you know how to setup the poll better, let me know and I'll change it.

Use magic Report

zldd| Post time 5-4-2017 05:06:37 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Hackerjac replied at 5-3-2017 11:41
The CPU might only be $54 more expensive than the N3450, but you forget that a new chipset suporting ...

I won't pretend to be an expert on manufacturing and integration. Yes, the 4410Y fits in another socket, which would dictate a different logic board, but how different and/or more expensive said board might be, I couldn't say. It's possible that the added cost might end up being more than $54, but as long as it stays within reason I feel that it's justified given the improvement to the user experience.

Where I don't agree with you is the notion that Chuwi has to make an additional profit on 4410Y; yes, the consumer would have to pay the extra cost of its implementation so that Chuwi makes the same profit it normally does, but there's no need to charge more. I know it's common practise among big-name OEMs to not only charge for the actual cost of upgraded components, but also a ludicrous profit on top just because they can. That's not what we're here for now, is it?

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 5-4-2017 05:33:36 | Show all posts
Edited by ZenBalancer at 5-4-2017 14:50
[url=forum.php?Core m3 is nice but it's much more expensive than either N3450, or 4410Y. It's a full-price chip in the sense that it costs exactly as much as any mid-high range Intel SoC - most i5's usually found in laptops. They might as well go for an m5 (now known as i5 Y-series) since it costs the same as an m3; if battery life and thermals remain acceptable, that is. In any case, the end cost of the device would be much harder to swallow.

Yeah, the avatar... that's a funny story - when I first tried to make a post, it wouldn't let me because I didn't have an avatar so I just copied the first one I saw out of frustration, no idea why it's zoomed, the flash plugin was in Chinese so I did a botched job of figuring it out. Sorry about that. I will try to change it soon.

If you know how to setup the poll better, let me know and I'll change it.

You already fixed the poll, making the result visible to non-participants as well (Edit: not to non-registered users, I just found out that forum limitation). I PMed my thanks after I noticed that also as a consequence, everyone can see that I indeed had voted Yes.

I'm not aware of all of the advantages and disadvantages of the processors and architectures relevant to price and battery life. I only conveyed what was said by admin once about the Hi13 after it was already released. So your argument might be conveyed back by Moderators.

Yes I see how that happened now, it zoomed mine as well, I left it like that. Since even zoomed there is not that much similarity.

Knock knock.
Who is there?
Me.
Me who?
Me You!

That's you talking with Emily.
Talking about funny jokes.

Edits: clarity, correction + quote completion.
3: 1+1+1 Links: Laplets vs Tabtops + is Chuwi good or bad? (2017Q2 sample) + After-sales?

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 5-4-2017 06:03:29 | Show all posts
Edited by ZenBalancer at 5-4-2017 17:59

I found the quote by admin:
I'd expect CHUWI hi13 with the Core M processor in the near future

-- Post #1 OP - Post time 3-2-2017 11:21:03 - Samsung's Galaxy Book VS CHUWI Hi13

It seems I remembered wrong or assumed M3. Or is it the same? I remember Core M being a dated reference at least? I had a Core M in a work laptop around 2005-6?

Edits: clarity.

Use magic Report

zldd| Post time 5-4-2017 10:52:12 | Show all posts
ZenBalancer replied at 5-4-2017 06:03
I found the quote by admin:

-- Post #1 OP - Post time 3-2-2017 11:21:03 - Samsung's Galaxy Book VS  ...

Core M is what Intel used to call their 5W, i.e. passively cooled, high-end SoCs until OEMs started complaining it wasn't clear to customers that M stood for a fast chip, and so Intel changed branding to m3/m5/m7 but it still wasn't clear, apparently, and so they finally caved and decided to just call them i5/i7, but kept m3 weirdly enough.

It's all irrelevant branding anyway; what matters is that it's the fastest, and most expensive, chip you can put in a tablet. Unless you also make it bigger and put a fan inside like Microsoft does; then you could put a 15W chip inside.

All in all, it's good news if Chuwi manage to keep the cost down. A Core m3-7Y32 or i5-7Y57 powered Hi13 would be great, but it'd also have to be improved in other ways. I for one wouldn't like to buy a Core-powered tablet without a laminated screen and without a decent coating like Gorilla Glass. 4GB of RAM is okay, but 64GB eMMC storage would not be - it'd expect at least a 128GB SSD. By this point, the cost would've went up by quite a bit. Consider this - if you have to pay a noticeably higher price for a more premium device with faster components, would you be okay with the keyboard not being perfectly balanced like it currently is on the Hi13? I would not. It's okay for a cheaper device, but I wouldn't like my screen to wobble, and the tip of my keyboard to not sit flat on my shiny Intel Core 2-in-1. I hope you can see my point. I'd love it if Chuwi makes a premium device at a higher, but still justified price point. They certainly seem to have the potential. Meanwhile, what I'm suggestion with 4410Y is a much less dramatic improvement to Hi13 and other N3450 devices that would still keep them in their current price bracket, but offer an improved user experience.

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 5-4-2017 11:03:37 | Show all posts
zldd replied at 5-4-2017 19:52
Core M is what Intel used to call their 5W, i.e. passively cooled, high-end SoCs until OEMs starte ...

Thanks. Lots of telling details. So it was an old reference, perhaps intended, as-in he knows its roots. I just assumed or remembered wrong. With your explanation, I understand the situation better.

And for related viewpoints, see: How much do YOU think Chuwi Hi13 Pro version would or SHOULD cost? And changes?

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 5-4-2017 11:07:17 | Show all posts
Edited by ZenBalancer at 5-4-2017 20:08
zldd replied at 5-4-2017 19:52
Core M is what Intel used to call their 5W, i.e. passively cooled, high-end SoCs until OEMs starte ...
would you be okay with the keyboard not being perfectly balanced like it currently is on the Hi13?

See what TechTablets guy did in a review, he set the keyboard balanced, but at a risk. See his general review video. Or maybe it was the video of their Hi12 comparing the plastic keyboard to the metal V2 one, and the metal one had wobble, and attributed it to shipping? I'm not sure at this point. But I remember he balanced it, with a risk. It won't bother me for lap-mode. See Laplets vs Tabtops.

Edit: autocomplete fail recovery + clarity.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list