ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Tablet Discussion Chuwi Hi10 Plus [Solved] BLACK SCREEN on Windows 10 - Hi10 Plus corr ...

Follow Us

[Solved] BLACK SCREEN on Windows 10 - Hi10 Plus corrupted display driver

[Copy link]

doodzilla|Post time:5-14-2017 22:15:54 View:1045|Reply:18

Edited by doodzilla at 5-30-2017 20:38

I have started using Driver Booster (the software) on Windows 10 to update my drivers because Hackerjac previously recommended it  in a group chat.

In one particular situation, while Driver Booster was installing a display adapter driver, I voice summoned Cortana to try and open Windows Update (I check Windows Update often manually). Cortana then opened Windows 10 Creator's Update Upgrade Assistant instead then it turned the screen black (but still on) and unresponsive except for the mouse cursor. I have already updated successfully to Creator's Update before, so I guess the opening of Win10 Creator's Upgrade Assistant confused the system, thereby opening an "On but Black" unresponsive screen except for the mouse cursor. The mouse cursor at the time was responsive.

Anyway, since the current screen wouldn't respond with Ctrl+Alt+Del or Alt+F4, I proceeded immediately to manually turn off my laplet. Little did I know (or clumsily did I not take into account), the display adapter driver was still installing in Driver Booster. I remember this because it was the last immediate thing I saw on the Driver Booster written prompts processing before I accidentally let Cortana open the C.U. Upgrade assistant after which I then proceeded to manually turn off the laplet.

When I booted it back on to Windows 10, the screen would light up and everything seems to be working except that the screen is still black (still on/lighted). I think I screwed up the installation of the display adapter driver.

I caused my display driver to be corrupted it seems.

All in all, I can still operate my windows 10 boot on this Hi10 plus and also the Android part of my device is unaffected (working fine).  

But on the Windows 10 side of things: because of the blank black screen I'm totally blind to operate it. Huhuhu.

UPDATE: I later found out that I can still access my BIOS settings complete with a visible display by holding the Del key with the Chuwi Hi10 Plus metal rotary keyboard.

Can I fix my display driver from the BIOS settings?

From the BIOS settings I have tried to fix things by opting for "Restore to Defaults" in the settings, but it still results in an "On but Black" display.

I can still shut down Windows 10 properly sometimes because of the Windows 10 ability to shut down by holding the power button for a few seconds then proceeding to slide down on the touchscreen to shut down.

Another keyboard shortcut that allows me to have some display on Windows 10 right now is the holding of the F7 key while the laplet is booting in Windows 10. It directs me to the Boot menu where the choices are "Android 'something'" and "Windows Boot Manager". Either of those choices still lead me to an "On but Black" display. Everyone I have asked help from in-person has directed me to try and reach the way to boot in safe mode. So far, I'm unable to to this.

This device has been with me for about a month. This is the Hi10 Plus Amazon activity 2017 prize. I still have the warrantly card included in the box this came in.

What are my options? Huhuhu.

I guess I'll try everything. Fellow forum members support. Chuwi support. Subforum mods support. Intel support. Windows support. Assistance from local PC repair shop in trying to flash BIOS and/or reinstall Android and/or Windows; I can help them look for the forum links to the official tutorials.

Whew. It's been almost around a week since I haven't been able to access Windows 10 normally. I miss Cortana. I miss Windows 10.

Will a flashing of BIOS and/or clean install of Android & Windows 10 fix my troubling display situation? I hope so. I'm asking help from local technicians 'coz flashing while repairing a display problem are two separate anxieties I can't contain myself. Too scary for me to try myself for now. I've never tried flashing a BIOS or installing Windows and/or Android thru a USB yet. I want and plan to learn this stuff like Hackerjac did, but for now I need help.

Welp.

P.S.: If I do manage to make it out of this current Windows 10 problem, I'll be sure to pass forward my solution experience to other Chuwi customers.

One more update edit: Btw the Hi10 Plus that I have one me is using an Atom x5-Z8350 (not 8300) with Android (not Remix OS).

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 5-13-2017 09:44:44 | Show all posts
Sorry about that.

When you get some time off from your situation, see if you can comment about your experience with Driver Booster, in the following context.
2. Turn off Automatic Driver Updates in Windows Updater.

Any "urges" for better Chuwi device performance with up to date drivers, might not be worth risking using other methods other than the official Chuwi provided drivers, and the official and unofficial "images" that uses those officially supported drivers.
Reply button? Also lists for a response, @username doesn't.
Link: overview of replies to your username. They have to click for theirs.
Chuwi? Time-constrains乁( ◔ ౪◔)「
3: 1+1+1 Links: Laplets vs Tabtops + is Chuwi good or bad? (2017Q2 sample) + After-sales?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

deejay1963| Post time 5-13-2017 10:24:50 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
boot into safe mode ( search google for it, as win 10 has many ways and multiple screens to enter safe mode.) then select low resolution video mode, or vga mode. this wil start your windows in vga mode i.e. it will use the built in vga drivers and not the intel graphics drivers ,  then simply reinstall the intel graphics drivers from the intel drivers download site..

Use magic Report

doodzilla| Post time 5-13-2017 15:45:36 | Show all posts
deejay1963 replied at 5-14-2017 02:24
boot into safe mode ( search google for it, as win 10 has many ways and multiple screens to enter sa ...

hmm.. more suggestions, more possibilities for a solution.. thanks! (y)

undergoing one epic journey in search of the currently-elusive Windows 10 safe mode!

Use magic Report

doodzilla| Post time 5-13-2017 16:43:05 | Show all posts
ZenBalancer replied at 5-14-2017 01:44
Sorry about that.

When you get some time off from your situation, see if you can comment about your ...

Wow. You sir are a human search engine! Currently going full-geek on your links.

#Journey2SafeMode

Use magic Report

doodzilla| Post time 5-13-2017 17:30:55 | Show all posts
ZenBalancer replied at 5-14-2017 01:44
Sorry about that.

When you get some time off from your situation, see if you can comment about your ...

It was my fault for manually turning off the laplet (tablet) while it was updating/installing a display driver.
Not Driver Booster/Chuwi/Intel.

Will try and comment on those threads also when I have something relevant to reply to a post/s there.

Use magic Report

doodzilla| Post time 5-14-2017 10:46:34 | Show all posts
boot into safe mode ( search google for it, as win 10 has many ways and multiple screens to enter sa ...

Update: I'm currently trying to create a recovery USB drive for the first time. LAPLET don't die on me now!!

Use magic Report

doodzilla| Post time 5-14-2017 13:06:15 | Show all posts

UPDATE: I made it to the sky blue recovery menu! The micro-usb tip of my dual tip micro-usb/USB recovery flash drive works. Currently trying System Restore. Luckily, I have 1 restore point from before I installed Driver Booster. It's so nice to see a screen (somewhat) in Windows again.

Update: System Restore failed. When I attempted to System Restore again, the restore file was gone so I can't make anymore attempts. It's 5am where I am now. At least today I made it to the recovery menu. Tomorrow I continue my journey into safe mode. Time to Zzzzz for now.

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 5-14-2017 16:52:56 | Show all posts
doodzilla replied at 5-14-2017 01:43
Wow. You sir are a human search engine!  Currently going full-geek on your links.

#Journ ...

It wasn't me that helped with the safe-mode instructions. You replied to the wrong post I think. I don't have much experience with Windows 10 safe-mode outside msconfig option for which it has to be on and functional enough. Or F8 on pogo, or wired or wireless USB keyboard, if the BIOS is set correctly I think. That's all I remember.
Reply button? Also lists for a response, @username doesn't.
Link: overview of replies to your username. They have to click for theirs.
Chuwi? Time-constrains乁( ◔ ౪◔)「
3: 1+1+1 Links: Laplets vs Tabtops + is Chuwi good or bad? (2017Q2 sample) + After-sales?

Use magic Report

deejay1963| Post time 5-14-2017 22:15:54 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
@doodzilla, dont do system restore. in the recovery menu go to startup options and select low resolution video or vga mode. on next reboot the tablet will start in vga mode (using the builtin vga drivers) and load the desktop. then from here remove the corrupted graphics driver and install the latest one from intel driver download site. or let windows automatically search and install the driver (from device manager- update)

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

12Next
Return to list
Quick Reply To Top Return to the list