ChuWi Forum»Forum General Discussion General Discussion Dragon Boat Festival 2017, A Chinese tranditional fe ...

Follow Us

Dragon Boat Festival 2017, A Chinese tranditional festival!

[Copy link]

emily|Post time:5-27-2017 14:07:01 View:170|Reply:3

Edited by emily at 5-27-2017 00:24

Hello, everyone!

Here i will introduce a Chinese tranditional festival, Dragon Boat Festival.

Dragon Boat Festival, also known as Duanwu Festival, is a traditional and important celebration in China.

Dragon Boat Festival 2017 falls on May 30 (Tuesday). China will have 3 days of holiday from Sunday (May 28) to Tuesday (May 30), and we will be back at work on Wednesday, May 31.

Simple Facts to Understand Dragon Boat Festival
  • Chinese: 端午节 Duānwǔ Jié /dwann-woo jyeah/ 'start [of the] fifth traditional solar month [May26 6 to June 23] festival'
  • Date: month 5 day 5 of the Chinese lunar calendar
  • History: over 2,000 years
  • Celebrations: dragon boat racing, health-related customs, honoring Qu Yuan and others
  • Popular festival food: sticky rice dumplings (zongzi)

Why Dragon Boat Racing is Held for the Day?

Dragon boat racing is said to originate from the legend of people paddling out on boats to seek the body of patriotic poet Qu Yuan (343–278 BC), who drowned himself in a River.

The wooden boats are shaped and decorated in the form of a Chinese dragon. The boat size varies by region. Generally it is about 20–35 meters in length and needs 30–60 people to paddle it.

During the races, dragon boat teams paddle harmoniously and hurriedly, accompanied by the sound of beating drums. It is said that the winning team will have good luck and a happy life in the following year.

How Chinese People Celebrate the Festival

Duanwu Festival(Dragon Boat Festival) is a folk festival celebrated for over 2,000 years, when Chinese people practice various customs thought to dispel disease, and invoke good health.
111.jpg

Some of the most traditional customs include dragon boat racing, eating sticky rice dumplings (zongzi), hanging Chinese mugwort and calumus, drinking realgar wine, and wearing perfume pouches.
222.jpg

Now many of the customs are disappearing, or no longer observed. You are more likely to find them practiced in rural areas.

Eating Sticky Rice Dumplings

Z1.jpg

Zongzi (粽子zòngzi /dzong-dzuh/) is the most traditional Dragon Boat Festival food. It is related to Qu Yuan commemoration, as the legend says that lumps of rice were thrown into the river to stop fish eating his drowned body.

Z2.jpg

They are a kind of sticky rice dumpling made of glutinous rice filled with meats, beans, and other fillings.

Z4.jpg

Zongzi is wrapped in triangle or rectangle shapes in bamboo or reed leaves, and tied with soaked stalks or colorful silky cords.

Z3.jpg

The flavors of zongzi are usually different from one region to another across China.

Drinking Realgar Wine

There is an old saying: 'Drinking realgar wine drives diseases and evils away!' Realgar wine is a Chinese alcoholic drink consisting of fermented cereals and powdered realgar.

In ancient times, people believed that realgar was an antidote for all poisons, and effective for killing insects and driving away evil spirits. So everyone would drink some realgar wine during Duanwu Festival.

Wearing Perfume Pouches

Before Dragon Boat Festival arrives, parents usually prepare perfume pouches for their children.  

They sew little bags with colorful silk cloth, fill the bags with perfumes or herbal medicines, and then string them with silk threads.

During Dragon Boat Festival perfume pouches are hung around kids' necks or tied to the front of a garment as an ornament. The perfume pouches are said to protect them from evil.

Hanging Chinese Mugwort and Calamus

The Dragon Boat Festival is held at the start of summer, when diseases are more prevalent. Mugwort leaves are used medicinally in China.

timg.jpg

Their fragrance is very pleasant, deterring flies and mosquitoes. Calamus an aquatic plant that has similar effects.

On the fifth day of the fifth month, people usually clean their houses, courtyards, and hang mugwort and calamus on doors lintels to discourage diseases. It is also said hanging mugwort and calamus can bring good luck to the family.

Visiting China at the Dragon Boat Festival

Many Chinese people will make use of the 3-day holiday to go traveling.

Therefore, during the Dragon Festival, most attractions will be crowded, cheap public transport (like buses and trains) may be sold out, and accommodation may be slightly more expensive.

How do you think about Chinese Dragon Boat Festival 2017 after reading article above?

Use magic Report

Techdragonz| Post time 5-27-2017 00:31:34 | Show all posts
Sounds fun
I'm not weird. I'm limited edition | I'm glad to be of your service | Contact me if you need any help

Use magic Report

Hackerjac| Post time 5-27-2017 08:28:15 | Show all posts
Yeah, sounds really fun, would love to taste the food
I do NOT work for Chuwi. Please DO NOT pm or email me with problems you may have!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

manonegra222| Post time 5-27-2017 14:07:01 | Show all posts

The truth is, I've loved what you've told about the dragon boat festival, what about boat races, hanging Chinese Mugwort and colamus and preparing the perfume pouches.

Very flashy images and appetizing the gastronomic part.

I regret to read that these marvelous customs are losing over time, we also pass through here and is that with industrialization and the demands of competitiveness leaves us little time for these festivities in which we have raised and that we should follow our children and grandchildren. It is part of our culture and is a wealth that we must also transmit to the next generations.

It also makes me think of how similar we are despite the great distance that separates us.
Chuwi Moderator
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list