ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Tablet Discussion Chuwi Hi13 Chuwi Hi13 USB C Blew up!! What should i do?

Follow Us

Chuwi Hi13 USB C Blew up!! What should i do?

[Copy link]

MatteoVC|Post time:7-27-2017 03:12:23 View:567|Reply:34

Edited by MatteoVC at 7-24-2017 05:59

I was just working and charging it as normal and it got very hot and a spark set off at the usb port, followed by smoke!

I immediately unplugged it (and got a slight shock) and pulled out the usb c port to see the inside of the usb c port partially charred!

The damn things just 1 month old, and Ive only used it like 12 times!

Has anyone else had the same problem and if you did what was your solution?

I already tried submitting a ticket when i got it because windows wouldnt instal but i never got a response so I figured this time i would ask on the forum first!

Thanks,

Matt

P.S. When this happened the room temperature was about 23c, air conditioned. The tablet was only playing music and showing an image. I still have all my work on it and am worried it will be lost. Brightness was at 25% to save power consumption as Chuwi Hi13 battery drains relatively quick.

Use magic Report

artowi| Post time 7-24-2017 06:23:06 | Show all posts
You are not alone.   I have 2 units of the Hi13 with burned USB PowerDelivery controller chip (EJ898A)  
I am glad to know by now that is was not my fault or stupidity but it seems there is some general design or quality problem concerning the the Hi13 USB-C power management.

For both of my units there was the typical smell of burning epoxy resin and some smoke but the tablet would continue to work normally.

For the first one I lost money with unsuccessful attempt to try to send back to China as large lithium battery must not be shipped - especially inside defective product.   I bought a replacement mainboard and repaird this unit and no magic smoke yet.

My second unit right now is at a repair center in Europe and I guess they will need to put in a new mainboard or replace the EJ898A chip.

There is another thread with somebody reporting short battery run time and hot Hi13 - chances are very good this is same problem.

Your USB PC controller chip seems to have had a more spectacular exit compared to mine.   Probably many customers will not notice and just experience a significantly reduced battery run time and hot spot on the left side of the screen.  

My units were still working and charging normally but with extra heating and short run time.  

Your problem also could be caused by defective power supply so maybe better not to use it again.   Is your unit still working ?

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

MatteoVC| Post time 7-24-2017 07:02:19 | Show all posts
artowi replied at 7-24-2017 06:23
You are not alone.   I have 2 units of the Hi13 with burned USB PowerDelivery controller chip (EJ898 ...

Oh wow thanks for the info! So glad to hear that im also no alone in this! Also the same problem but with 2 that sucks! My condolences, hope u didnt loose any work. <

My unit worked fine until it ran out of battery. I attempted to recharge it but it heated up pretty fast. I promptly removed the usb to the same electric shock (kind annoying).

Im avoiding a recharge now and may attempt the europe repair u suggested. Though if u said the self repair method worked, i might tr that too. What tools did you need and was it tricky?

My power supply was definitely a problem but i beleive the route cause was a badly built usb c cabl on the power adapter as it fell apart when removing. The insides were all burnt and metal components were mostly snapped and bent. Attempt at reassemble was unsuccessful.

Use magic Report

Techdragonz| Post time 7-24-2017 10:40:39 | Show all posts
Wow...So sorry to hear that.

Make sure to back up all your stuff, because chances are if you send it back, you'll get it back factory reset-ed.

My advice would be to contact Chuwi and let them get you to send it to their EU repair center  (If you live in Europe obviously). They will repair it for free and you will have no risk of damaging extra stuff whilst trying to do it yourself, what WILL result in your warranty being void... if they find out, that is.

I strongly recommend everyone to stop using the stock PSU as I simply do NOT trust it. People have seen it break, smoke, ... Just get one that is in the Hi13 recommendations thread.

I hope this issue stays limited to few people.
I'm not weird. I'm limited edition | I'm glad to be of your service | Contact me if you need any help

Use magic Report

szucsi| Post time 7-26-2017 06:46:34 | Show all posts
Hi there. The charger is not the cause of warming. The charger is OK. It gives 12 volt voltage, only USB-c connector. The HI13 tablet has two 7.4V batteries. The built-in voltage control chip delivers a 8.4V charging current, and it only runs on the battery. For the rest of the system board, backwards, only 5V or 3.3V power is back. I am fixing Chuwi tablets in Hungary, I know that it is not the charger. But it is possible that it is not a component, but a bios error. I can not say for sure. I'm still working to measure the exact cause.

Use magic Report

Techdragonz| Post time 7-26-2017 09:13:14 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Well, the charger definitly isnt recommended though!

Use magic Report

artowi| Post time 7-26-2017 10:20:15 | Show all posts
According to USB PD standard it is absolutely not allowed to just take a 12V power supply and solder an USB-C connector with the V-BUS pins to the fixed voltage.  This is a big no-no-no never ever !

USB-C can only carry one single  voltage and unless both sides have talked and agreed this voltage is mandatory 5V.   

A charger needs to start with 5V and then should politely ask the Hi13 if it feels be ready to accept 12V.  If the PD controller chip inside the Hi13 (EJ898A) gives permission the charger can go to 12V and the PD controller will know the V-BUS is now higher voltage.  

I think the problem is that the Charger is putting the 12V 'illlegal' without telling the PD controller and nothing bad will happen unless the PD controller is instructed to put 5V on the same pins for powering an external hub or hdd.   So it might be an 'BIOS effect' but not really 'BIOS error'.

Its not a quality issue of the charger but a design issue.  The recommended AUKEY PD charger will  not just put 12V but it will negotiate first and put 12V only after getting the permission from the Hi13.

One fact to know:  Once the PD controller is damaged you will not be able to use the AUKEY PD charger because the charger will not switch to 12V because no PD talk.  The Hi13 needs 12V to charge and cannot charge with 5V at all.   So if an Hi13 will not charge with proper PD compatible charger it is clear sign the PD chip is dead already.

Use magic Report

pmelo| Post time 7-26-2017 10:34:33 | Show all posts
Edited by pmelo at 7-26-2017 10:36
artowi replied at 7-26-2017 10:20
According to USB PD standard it is absolutely not allowed to just take a 12V power supply and solder ...

this is probably what is happening with my new charger now that my chip is fried.
the charger's led blue color means it's 5v

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 7-26-2017 11:53:24 | Show all posts
So this thread should also point to his explanation: http://forum.chuwi.com/thread-4540-1-1.html
Reply button? Also lists for a response, @username doesn't.
Link: overview of replies to your username. They have to click for theirs.
Chuwi? Time-constrains乁( ◔ ౪◔)「
3: 1+1+1 Links: Laplets vs Tabtops + is Chuwi good or bad? (2017Q2 sample) + After-sales?

Use magic Report

Techdragonz| Post time 7-27-2017 03:12:23 | Show all posts
A charger needs to start with 5V and then should politely ask the Hi13 if it feels be ready to accept
Are you talking about a women here or?
Anyways, what you said is true...
I'm not weird. I'm limited edition | I'm glad to be of your service | Contact me if you need any help

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list