ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Tablet Discussion Chuwi Hi13 Hi13 original Charger KEYU KA1440 is dangerous!

Follow Us

Hi13 original Charger KEYU KA1440 is dangerous!

[Copy link]

artowi|Post time:7-26-2017 02:49:10 View:2576|Reply:62

Edited by Techdragonz at 7-26-2017 11:53

Conclusion: Go to the Chuwi essentials thread under Chuwi Hi13 and buy the PD compatible charger. The original charger has been proven dangerous and will posibly break your device!Click here for the thread

Full story:

Several threads about USB-C problems,  tablets heating up (even during sleep) and having short battery run time.

I for myself lost 2 Hi13 tablets with burned component inside and after spending time and effort on investigation I think I can offer a good explenation and recommendation.

USB-C and USB3.1  use a 'PD negotiation' protocol so 2 devices connected can arrange who is sending and who is receiving power and what voltage should be used.

Quote from specification:  

As a result, any product that requires or delivers power from 5 to 20 V (15 to 100 W of power) must negotiate according to
a specific set of standardized rules.

The KEYU KA1440 is 'dumb' and unable to communicate according to PD protocol.  Anyhow it will just supply 12V and not 5V.  This is violating the standard so if the Hi13 is applying 5V to the USB to power an external device (for example when checking for USB memory device while booting) there is a good chance you get a funny smell and lost your PD controller chip on the mainboard.

Your HI13 will still appear to be working normally - just extermal devices powered by USB-C will not work and your battery run time will be short because the dead remains of the EJ898A chip will heat up.

Dont connect any other USB-C devices to the KEYU charger!  Phones / Tablets may be killed instantly because they don't expect and allow 12V

It is a great pity that an otherwise fine product gets ruined by wrong/cheap charger supplied with the product.

If your Hi13 is still ok make sure to get an USB 3.1 compliant charger asap.

Use magic Report

Techdragonz| Post time 7-25-2017 11:10:16 | Show all posts
What I have been saying from day 1 lol.
I'm not weird. I'm limited edition | I'm glad to be of your service | Contact me if you need any help
Reply Support 0 Not support 1

Use magic Report

Japie| Post time 7-25-2017 21:46:42 | Show all posts
Maybe you can put this info where it gets more attention or sticky this tread. I knew there are better options but not that the charger is this bad. I must have overlooked your warning Techdragonz.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

bloticas| Post time 7-26-2017 00:43:07 | Show all posts
The ones with the EJ898A dead. Is there any way to repair the HI13?

Use magic Report

mgeorgescu1990| Post time 7-26-2017 01:08:34 | Show all posts
Hello community! Thank you @artowi really! Well yesterday my HI13 arrived. I charged it and used it a little. Today I bumped on your thread about the charger. I order instantly and Aukey charger that @Techdragonz recommanded. So yea, I used the stock charger, is there any risk? What do you think ? Can the chip that you mention already be damaged? I will never plug that thing again! How can I diagnose it? Thank you! Cheers!

Use magic Report

Japie| Post time 7-26-2017 02:20:07 | Show all posts
* If you have a dead EJ898A. You can not repair it by yourself. You should contact Chuwi for repair.

* Although it is possible it is unlikely that you have damaged the chip with one charge. Mine broke after three months.  

Use magic Report

Pajero| Post time 7-26-2017 02:28:36 | Show all posts
Hi
I am confused here. Is the usb3.1 connection the same size as the USB-C connection ?
if not then hi13 does not have a full size USB port only micro USB. is that where 3.1 charger goes?

Also in original post there is mention of USB memory device, again where would that go? Micro USB using OTG cable ? How would that cause burnout unless maybe charger is plugged into usb_c port at startup?

Please explain and also please provide link to recommended replacement charger.
Thanx

Use magic Report

mgeorgescu1990| Post time 7-26-2017 02:31:06 | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Techdragonz| Post time 7-26-2017 02:48:12 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Don't worry... I used the charger for lots of months and it still works... simple check is to see if the port can still get drives and such to work. Otherwise it's dead. Pajero, he's talking about the usb C port as that is the only port available to charge the hi13. Usb memory debice can go in the keyboard dock, woth a USB C to USB otg or micro USB to usb otg.

Use magic Report

Techdragonz| Post time 7-26-2017 02:49:10 | Show all posts
Thread has been sticked.
I'm not weird. I'm limited edition | I'm glad to be of your service | Contact me if you need any help

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list