ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Tablet Discussion Chuwi Hi13 Hi13 original Charger KEYU KA1440 is dangerous!

Follow Us

Hi13 original Charger KEYU KA1440 is dangerous!

[Copy link]

artowi|Post time:8-2-2017 00:57:35 View:2524|Reply:62

Pajero| Post time 7-28-2017 12:57:43 | Show all posts

After inspecting the supplied cable I appreciate why it cant be used with USB drives Techgragonz.
However the main reason for my confusion is that many of the reviews state the USB-C is only for charging and not data transfer. So I had assumed the use of OTG cables were not supported. Could this be why so many USB-C ports are failing. People are using them for a non approved purpose. Even though standard supports its you yourself has stated that Chuwi has configured it for non standard 12v usage.

I would be interested to know if anyone who has used their USB-C for charging only has encountered any failures. ie not connected it to anything other than the supplied charger but it stilled blew up ??? Or am I barking up the wrong tree ?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 7-29-2017 06:35:25 | Show all posts
Techdragonz replied at 7-28-2017 18:27
How do you mean? xD Should I see that as a compliment, or?

A teasing observation on my part
Reply button? Also lists for a response, @username doesn't.
Link: overview of replies to your username. They have to click for theirs.
Chuwi? Time-constrains乁( ◔ ౪◔)「
3: 1+1+1 Links: Laplets vs Tabtops + is Chuwi good or bad? (2017Q2 sample) + After-sales?

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 7-29-2017 06:40:22 | Show all posts
Edited by ZenBalancer at 7-29-2017 15:57
Pajero replied at 7-28-2017 21:57
After inspecting the supplied cable I appreciate why it cant be used with USB drives Techgragonz.
H ...

USB c can even support hunderbolt and its hubs, which opens up a lot of doors, so to speak. But not the Hi13. Hi13 specs states OTG support. Both ports. Both MicroUSB and TypeC.

I've even used a passive USB c adapter to connect a MicroUSB OTG adapter to connect a USB3 flashstick at USB2 speeds at TypeC port. For USB3 speeds you need a better OTG adapter or dongle. See essentials thread and its specialized thread if there is one. My 2ct.

Edit: there are dongles that are supported according to Emily, they work both for charging and audio and/or video/Ethernet, full USB port(s). The 7in1 they had it all hasn't been confirmed working yet.
Not sure about all of the review sources. OTG has been demonstrated working at USB3 speeds.

I don't think I even have the supplies cable anymore. It's just lost in my stuff. So if you meant connecting to a laptop, the power negotiating unit functional or not, seems the Hi13 can always count on 5volts, so perhaps connection for data to a computer might still at that point still work? I've not tried it with mine which still has the negotiating chip intact.

TypeC is supposed to work host-to-host TypeC to TypeC as well. Never got that thread further because wasn't a focus.

Edits: typo, corrections + addition.
3: 1+1+1 Links: Laplets vs Tabtops + is Chuwi good or bad? (2017Q2 sample) + After-sales?

Use magic Report

Techdragonz| Post time 7-29-2017 09:00:17 | Show all posts
What Zenbalancer said.

It could very well be why many people had issues with it....
If you scroll down to the release period of the hi13 you will see that there was a lot of confusion about this as some reported not  having support for it.
So those people may have received it with faulty chip or might have broken it before testing the usb C functions.

I'm not weird. I'm limited edition | I'm glad to be of your service | Contact me if you need any help

Use magic Report

Techdragonz| Post time 7-29-2017 09:03:28 | Show all posts
ZenBalancer replied at 7-29-2017 15:35
A teasing observation on my part

Well, I used to dream of becoming a mod...

It is luck that got me here, if I wouldn't have bought the hi13 I wouldn't be here, which is a weird thing to think about. Small decisions can have huge consequences in life. - Butterfly effect -
I'm not weird. I'm limited edition | I'm glad to be of your service | Contact me if you need any help

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 7-29-2017 11:44:47 | Show all posts
Techdragonz replied at 7-29-2017 18:03
Well, I used to dream of becoming a mod...

It is luck that got me here, if I wouldn't have bought ...

Aha..
Well, enjoy with Moderation ;)
Because it comes with responsibility of user feelings.. yes yes I know they're not made of glass..
Boy did I overstep with Hackerjac.. and it is the other way around with me

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 7-29-2017 13:23:32 | Show all posts
Pajero replied at 7-28-2017 21:57
H ...

I think it's possible the type c in Hi13 is not for host to host, so can't connect to a laptop full USB or another type c to transfer from Hi13 to another device. But the type c can exchsnge data with an external storage to the Hi13, but the Hi13 is hen the only host the other devices are the "client slaves". For connection to a laptop etc.. the MicroUSB at USB2 speeds is perhaps the only way. I think that's what is meant with TypeC is not for data on the Hi13. But I'm just making somewhat of an informed guess.

Use magic Report

Pajero| Post time 7-29-2017 14:44:31 | Show all posts
Thanx guys for all the replies.

I have learnt a lot about what our USB-C ports can be used for and that Emily is the source of mot support information.
Also to check the Essentials thread which I had dismissed as general Chuwi brand stuff.

Keep the info flowing.

Use magic Report

Pajero| Post time 7-31-2017 04:20:05 | Show all posts
Hi All

There is a very interesting analysis of the problem by Artowi in this thread http://forum.chuwi.com/thread-4533-1-1.html. He states
" A charger needs to start with 5V and then should politely ask the Hi13 if it feels be ready to accept 12V.  If the PD controller chip inside the Hi13 (EJ898A)    gives permission the charger can go to 12V and the PD controller will know the V-BUS is now higher voltage. "

The fact that the Chuwi charger works out of the box must mean that the V-BUS is set to 12V by default. Its only when you connect a lower voltage device that V-BUS voltage is reduced. Then connecting the Chuwi charger could potentially cause it to blow (if my understanding is correct). My question is how do you reset it back to 12V? Does the tablet need to be shutdown and the startup procedure then performs a reset. Or will a windows restart suffice without powering off? Is there a command line utility to check the current status of the V-BUS, ie. what voltage is it currently set to?

Am I right in thinking that using a usb drive etc to check if the USB-C port is still working could inadvertently lead to failure if you were then to attach the Chuwi charger without performing a reset (whatever that involves) ?

Use magic Report

amichael| Post time 8-2-2017 00:57:35 | Show all posts
Ouch! Too late for me. I got that RavPower 100Wh battery, and I was wondering why I couldn't get it to charge my Hi13 a couple days ago. Then I noticed this was draining itself while sleeping, and I only noticed today that the side was getting hot. A quick search brought this up. (I haven't been keeping up with the forum, so I had no idea until just now that it's a widespread problem.)

I actually used this cable to charge the powerbank, too, so it's a good thing nothing bad happened! (Assuming it still works fine after this; we'll see.)

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list