ChuwiHI13 and the Keyu battery charger - page 5 - Chuwi Hi13 - ChuWi Forum - Forum.chuwi.com
ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Tablet Discussion Chuwi Hi13 ChuwiHI13 and the Keyu battery charger

Follow Us

ChuwiHI13 and the Keyu battery charger

[Copy link]

szucsi|Post time:10-21-2017 05:33:41 View:1340|Reply:69

MemberChuwi| Post time 10-17-2017 10:38:50 | Show all posts
Can't believe the hint's I've stumbled across this minutes. About 50% of all USB-C cables seem to be out of spec. Some cables are wired wrong, destroying devices!

USB-C seems to be so demanding that consumers can not trust in it... modern russian roulette!

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

MemberChuwi| Post time 10-17-2017 12:38:47 | Show all posts
Edited by MemberChuwi at 10-17-2017 22:05

Showdown
I didn get Aukey PA Y8, 27W PD 3.0 to charge my Hi13.

Still the original brick is the only option tbat works. OTG still works fine too. No heat or other suspicious points yet

Details see sticky thread '...keyu charger... is dangerous'

Use magic Report

MemberChuwi| Post time 10-19-2017 05:28:17 | Show all posts
Edited by MemberChuwi at 10-19-2017 10:38

Final Showdown:

AUKEY PA-Y10 works...!!! I can't believe it. Windows Battery meter increases...!!!

So final conclusion, there are incompatibilities (bugs? Doubtful specs?) that makes it difficult to find working combinations, but my USB-C port seems to be fine.

Wished to know if PA-Y10 would be rated better than PA-Y7 which is rated to be dangerous to (by Nathan K.)...

I feel better, this saved my day!  

In general USB-C is a huge mess!

Use magic Report

szucsi| Post time 10-19-2017 12:18:22 | Show all posts
Aukey PY8 is a bit weak, so big for the battery. 40 to 45 W power required minimum. BY10 is a good choice. Not to mention that there is additionally a more usb socket. PY8 This is rather smaller tablets (eg Hi8 pro, Hibook), phones, etc. is excellent.

Use magic Report

szucsi| Post time 10-19-2017 12:27:10 | Show all posts
MemberChuwi replied at 10-17-2017 10:38
Can't believe the hint's I've stumbled across this minutes. About 50% of all USB-C cables seem to be ...

It's scandalous, and it will cause much harm to the Chuwi. Voltage 12V, unmistakable. USB-C cable for Keyu charging suicide. So this is a tablet killer charger. In my repair shop there are already 6 motherboards burnt out. Here are links to the link. Little volcanoes and burnt motherboards.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/faczeM3NkGrfOVkj2

Use magic Report

MemberChuwi| Post time 10-19-2017 12:36:15 | Show all posts
Edited by MemberChuwi at 10-19-2017 12:41

Well, basic need is 12V/2A (24W). Aukey PA-8 specifies 12V/2.25A (27W) if I remember right...  that should do.

Aukey PA-10 is quite expensive. The second USB A charging port makes this more acceptable. But even with a simple USB-C cable this adds approximately 50+€ to Hi13 for an essential accessory that should be included.

I argue the PD negotiation is the problem. Some Chargers are buggy. Some cables have fake chips. With all the incompatibility and cheating I'm not surprised that there is so much oddity that night be dangerous sometimes.

Aside from technical issues I wonder if we see digital rights management with charger's and cables soon...

Use magic Report

MemberChuwi| Post time 10-19-2017 13:03:15 | Show all posts
Edited by MemberChuwi at 10-19-2017 13:05

The summary for keyu is:

1) KEYU is not a PD compliant charger. So it might destroy accessories like hubs or other devices. There is not even a hint whatsoever that keyu is meant to charge Hi13 only.

2) The USB-C plug on some units seems not to be manufactured proper. If the plug breaks, the USB-C chip can be damaged.

3) If 5V is supplied to USB-C (either because of boot sequence, bugs or damaged role detection in the chip by broken plugs/crossings) while keyu ist plugged in with dumb 12V this will obviously burn the USB-C chip. With a proper PD charger starting at 5V before negotiating higher voltage damage risk is quite unlikely.

I think this sums up the basic situation.

I have to add that the general situation with many USB-C cables, charger's and accessories isn't much better. Even if things work somehow there is a lot out of spec, cheating and potential danger going on. Keyu might be just one peak of all the icebergs...

Use magic Report

MemberChuwi| Post time 10-19-2017 13:17:22 | Show all posts
Edited by MemberChuwi at 10-19-2017 13:43

@szucsi
I agree that Chuwi makes a big fault shipping this charger. When charging via USB-C they should add a proper charger and cable.

The expense on top to get a proper USB-C charger is not really acceptable. To find one that works somehow is a nightmare too. Referring to Nathan K.'s findings many third party devices aren't proper as well. I spent about 200€ on adapters, cables, charger's and battery to check ports and find out what works. I'm still undecided which cable I can trust. I hope amazon will fully refund all the stuff that doesn't work when I return it. The process kept me busy for about 3 weeks. That's all not acceptable effort.

My biggest concern was also finding USB-C port damage. Lucily my USB-C port seems to be fully functional.

I think Chuwi had better added a normal dumb charging connector - when cost is so important. Dumb 12V supplies are easy to get and to replace in case. All the fuzz with PD capable USB-C accessories would also not be necessary when one wishes to charge while using such a dock.

Use magic Report

David_S| Post time 10-21-2017 03:07:36 | Show all posts
Edited by David_S at 10-21-2017 03:24

Have been reading this thread with increasing interest and alarm. I have only just purchased my Chuwi 13 and it came supplied with the Keyu KA1440 charger.
While I have sent an email requesting a safe replacement charger, I note that it seems a long time before any response is to be had from Chuwi. Therefore I am considering buying a replacement charger myself .... at further expense which I'm not happy about but it's preferable to a dead tablet.

I'm no electronics expert so I would like to ask if the following charger would be suitable as it seems the cheapest type C charger available :

iVAPO 65W Charger for Nintendo Switch PD Type-C Charger

Max power is 65 W, with max voltage 20 V and electric current of 3.25 A

Dual type c port: Both type C port design. No need to worry about damage caused by repeated use of the opposite direction. Two USB C terminals provide high-speed data transfer. Adapter do no harm on your device,CE/FCC/ROHS Certificates ensure the charging safety.
Extensive use: the power AC adapter not only suitable for the Nintendo Switch, but also used on NOKIA N1, Apple MacBook (2015), Google Nexus 5X / 6P / Pixel XL, LG 5X / G5, Huawei P9, ZUK Z1, SONY Xperia Z5 /Xperia XZ and more Type C devices.

I'm not at all sure if the amps are variable, as the Chuwi apparently needs a 2 amp supply. If it isn't then I found this one that gives the 'basic' 12v 24W 2A and is even cheaper than the above ie under £15 at Amazon
iKits 2-port USB-C Travel Charger, Type-C PD,
  • Specification: one port Type-C supporting up to 12V/2A 24W. Another port of 5V/2.4A with smart IC technology to auto identify the charging current. 1A~2.4A available
  • Powerful Type-C port: 5V/9V/12V 2A, complies to the 3rd profile of Power Delivery Specification for charging new Type-C devices

Use magic Report

MemberChuwi| Post time 10-21-2017 05:33:41 | Show all posts
Edited by MemberChuwi at 10-21-2017 05:40

I can't tell you if these charger's work.

My #1 recommendation is buy only with a shop where return and refund isn't an issue when the stuff doesn't work.

Going as cheap as possible with USB-C seems not to be the best idea. To me many products seem not to be matured either. Expect bugs...

Basically a charger should explicitly specify to support 12V on USB-C PD. 2A (24W) should be fine in theory. But the Aukey PA-Y8 speced 27W, while looking good on paper, didn't work either... my suspicion is it's buggy. My guess is 12V, 3A (36W) is probably more likely to work. I don't know what configurarion Hi13 really communicates for PD... the weaker charger probably refuses 12V when Hi13 requests 3A, I don't know. I don't have equipment to analyze this.

Don't know if I can recommend Aukey PA-10. I can only say it charged. It's more than I was willing to spend too, approx. 40€... ok, it has a second standard 5V port as well making it useful for other devices. But I guess I'll keep it instead of ordering some more, risking more shipping cost and frustration.

Same with basic USB-C cables. I'm myself not sure yet which cable to choose.

You don't need a fast data cable for charging only. But a too cheap one might have bad plugs as well, maybe thin wires... again I don't fully trust any USB-C cable. Nathan K. recommends Apples USB 2 as #1 pick for a ‘long charging cable'... it's pricey. His top pick is a fully speced Gen 2 cable with 100W PD which is definitely over the top for what we need to charge Hi13... I've checked 3 cables. All charge but one is rated bad, not sure which of the other two I will keep. A guy named Benson did also approve USB-C cables. He rates the Choetech Gen 2 fine while Nathan don't... hard to tell if the cable had changed... however it's officially approved by USB-C IF standards and on the list there - that's all what I can confirm. Not sure if this means anything either... the Choetech cable is relatively thick and stiff because of it's being fully wired. The third I've checked is RavPower USB 2 compliant charging cable. It's thinner and less stiff. I've choosen the longer 2m version. It's ok for charging I guess, Benson approved it ok. However USB 2 is not great on a USB-C for data transfer. The Choetech is quite cheap for the spec, , approx.12€. The RavPower is approx. 9€. I would be suspicious about very cheap cables.

Unfortunately the only thing I can tell you is try the charger's you've considered. It's likely that chargers not explicitly specing 12V will verg likely not work. But anything else is in the dark... 24W should be enough but it's no guarantee...

Prepare yourself for more than one order and consider shipping costs as well...

Unfortunately I have no better answer for you (including myself as well...)

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list