ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Tablet Discussion Chuwi Hi13 No sound after update to Windows 10 v1709(fall creat ...

Follow Us

No sound after update to Windows 10 v1709(fall creators update) - fix found!

[Copy link]

Mr.DJ|Post time:12-1-2017 02:46:04 View:905|Reply:9

Edited by Mr.DJ at 12-1-2017 12:50

Update3: Solution/workaround found.......scroll immediately down to the "Guide" section, to see the solution!

I have, unsuccessfully, tried to find a new Realtek HD audio driver that work, as the one I had installed suddenly wasn't accepted anymore after upgrading to this latest Windows 10 release v1709.

Already tried R2.82 driver package from Realtek's homepage.....did not work. Would not install using the executable version (Update1: well, it did complete the driver installation succesfully, but the audio driver from the package wasn't used/accepted by windows) or if I pointed manually to the unpacked driver folder, windows would not recognize the drivers as a match for the audio device unit in the device manager tab. Almost as if it doesn't believe I have a Realtek audio device....

Anyone else found a solution or perhaps not experiencing the issue at all? Or know what I am doing wrong?  :-)

Ps: I use the older hardware revision Chuwi HI13 with the v1.14 BIOS(since v1.16 disabled automatic screen orientation sensor).

Update2: (28/11-17) So, after spending a LOT of time with trials and errors, I have finally found a way to get the sound working again. And undtill Chuwi releases a new audio driver package,(for the 1'st revision Hi13 tablet that is) you are free to use my solution in the mean time.

Update4: Made a change to the guide(not using the rev2 drivers anymore), that makes the process far easier/faster and you probably also avoid getting the 2 extra Intel devices showing up in device manager.

GUIDE v2:
(Attention: this guide was tested and created on the 1'st hardware revision of the Hi13 tablet. Rev2 users with same problem, should probably use the Intel Audio drivers from the rev2. Chuwi driver package instead = https://mega.nz/#!6FtWhQ5T!ZlWDtHBnDI3I40j5zVDDrj_WEAgQfK1CVsJycp3aF4I) How to tell what version you have? Well, if your BIOS version does not say v1.xx anywhere but is something totally different, like I2W6_AP135.37. Then you have a newer revision of the Hi13 tablet, that also uses a different set of Windows 10 drivers.

You need:
1. Latest Chuwi Hi13 rev1. driver backup files from this thread = http://forum.chuwi.com/thread-4035-1-1.html ! And unpack the files to a folder that is easy to find.

2. Latest Realtek driver package, which currently is R2.82 = http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false  Just download the smaller 64 bit executable version(second download from the top).

Installation steps:

1. First we need to install the Intel SST Audio Controller
1a: Start up device manager(just type the name in the windows search bar)
1b: Locate the unknown audio device(Multimedia Audio Controller) and right-click it and choose to update driver and next choose "browse computer for driver"
1c: Now find the folder where you unpacked the Chuwi backup drivers and let windows search in the "10-Intel_sst" folder for a new driver and it should find the Intel SST Audio controller driver. Let it install.

2. Okay, now we are ready to install the Realtek audio driver.

2.a: Located the folder with the Realtek R2.82 exe file and complete the installation. You will need to reboot in the process.

Now you should have both sound in Windows and use latest driver from Realtek.

If your anything like me, you might wanna remove/uninstall any accidental duplicate Realtek drivers(shown with a yellow exclamation mark) in Device Manager. You might also want to enable "show hidden devices" in the "View" menu to see and remove all the unnecessary Microsoft devices in the "Sound, video and games controller" tab. To clean up device manager from unused devices still showing up, you can also just use this free tool called "Device Cleanup Tool" from this site = http://www.uwe-sieber.de/misc_tools_e.html

Howevever, depending upon wether you used v1 or v2 of the guide(not talking about tablet version), you may need to accept that 2 Intel devices will show up as "other devices". This is likely because on v1 of the guide, we used the Intel driver package from the rev2. Hi13 model which includes the full audio Intel driver package and on 1st revision Hi13 we only use the Intel SST Audio controller(which is located under "System devices"). So, this was perhaps less ideal/perfect, but it should have no effect on the system as the extra Intel devices shown are not installed/used and is only a visual reminder......this was the best I could come up with at the time. And undtill Chuwi or someone else perhaps releases a more proper and newer driver installation package with signed audio drivers that don't get un-installed, when doing a Windows 10 servicepack update, this solution is the best and only way I currently know how to get the sound back.

Let me know if there is any errors in the guided description(wrote it late in a tired state  ;-)    ).....I did also A LOT of back and forths when trying to come up with the workaround, so I might remember things wrong!

Cheers!

Driver updated to latest from Realtek.jpg
Activate show hidden devices.jpg

Use magic Report

manonegra222| Post time 11-23-2017 10:32:04 | Show all posts
have you tried to remove the driver and restart?
If you reinstall the one that does not work, delete the driver again and, without an internet connection, try installing the one you downloaded.
Chuwi Moderator
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

MemberChuwi| Post time 11-23-2017 10:33:56 | Show all posts
Edited by MemberChuwi at 11-24-2017 03:02

Sad to hear. I really hate Windows to force any driver updates rendering working functions unusable. Ask myself why they update running drivers.

Just trying to update this minute too, lets see what happens...

...after nearly 4 hours of noodling - audio still working. Using 2nd HW revision.

However Win10 update made changes in several settings - I hate this.

Basically no new issues found yet. Keep fingers crossed...

...looks like random instabilities. Strange to describe. Need to observe. Or is it time to die for Hi13 after 2 months of light use?

Use magic Report

Mr.DJ| Post time 11-23-2017 13:56:32 | Show all posts
Edited by Mr.DJ at 11-23-2017 23:59

I have installed and un-installed the Realtek driver software several times!   Also tried different versions....the one from Chuw which would not install(see image) and realtek software package R2.82 and R2.81. They succesfully complete but does not do anything(suspect the difference being that only the driver software from Chuwi tries to detect a compatible audio device during installation and these 2 other versions don´t).

Hope it get fixed or at least a workaround shows up fast!   ;-)

v4.54 realtek audio driver from Chuwi - installation error.png
Non-working audio device after windows 10 upgrade.png

Use magic Report

manonegra222| Post time 11-23-2017 15:39:00 | Show all posts
Mr.DJ replied at 11-23-2017 22:56
I have installed and un-installed the Realtek driver software several times!   Also tried different  ...

I did not mean to uninstall and install the driver. In the options of that same screen there is the option "delete the device". Once deleted, restart without internet connection and Windows will recognize the device but will not have a driver. Try to put in that moment the existing one in the download page of Chuwi.
Chuwi Moderator

Use magic Report

Mr.DJ| Post time 11-24-2017 06:56:30 | Show all posts
Edited by Mr.DJ at 11-24-2017 17:25

Aaargh, my former(lengthy)response was deleted!  

In short, no I didn't try a un-install device AND also disable internet connection doing a reboot......but I have now,  and that also didn't work. However, had already tried un-installing the device from device manager multiple times during the un-install process cycle with the Realtek softwares.

I now also have tried disabling Windows 10's "force signed drivers only" option and that didn't help either.
I however, got the driver installation from the Chuwi package to install succesfully(but audio device was still not updated) and I think it was because of a too long directory tree, to the folder containing the audio drivers that caused the installation to fail....

Seeing you are a Chuwi employee, can you perhaps verify if you see this same issue on one of your own Hi13 tablets in the office(though please pay attention, I am using the older/first revision of the Chuwi Hi13 tablet with bios v1.14)?

Ps: This user seems to have a similiar situation like me....well, at least same symptoms  = http://bbs.chuwi.com/thread-34903-1-1.html
Windows 10 can't find audio driver.jpg
uninstall audio device.jpg

Use magic Report

Mr.DJ| Post time 11-28-2017 14:20:27 | Show all posts
Edited by Mr.DJ at 11-29-2017 00:22

Okay, I FINALLY succeeded in finding a workaround to get my sound back in Windows 10 v1709 and have now updated my first post with a guide on how I did it.

Use magic Report

Mr.DJ| Post time 11-30-2017 09:29:37 | Show all posts
Edited by Mr.DJ at 11-30-2017 19:37
manonegra222 replied at 11-24-2017 01:39
I did not mean to uninstall and install the driver. In the options of that same screen there is th ...

Updated the guide, so it's now much more simple to do the audio driver update and hopefully gets rid of the 2 extra Intel devices showing up in device manager.

Perhaps Chuwi should consider making this thread sticky, if other Hi13 users experience the same issue when updating to latest windows 10 1709 version?

And to conclude, the issue is/was that the Windows 10 v1709 update, automatically removed the audio drivers during the installation process. I don't know why, but am guessing it perhaps has to do with the drivers are not signed??

Use magic Report

Shatenzo| Post time 12-1-2017 01:46:14 | Show all posts
It doesn't happen to everyone though. I'm using the 2nd hardware revision and the 1709 Update didn't kill off any sound drivers for me. Very strange it does happen for some but not all.
The only thing I can think of is that after I got my chuwi not too long ago I immediately updated everything including the 1709 creators update without installing anything else beforehand.

Use magic Report

Mr.DJ| Post time 12-1-2017 02:46:04 | Show all posts
Shatenzo replied at 12-1-2017 11:46
It doesn't happen to everyone though. I'm using the 2nd hardware revision and the 1709 Update didn't ...

Yeah, so far, only people using the newer Hi13 tablet versions are telling me they had no problems upgrading.

And since the Windows 10 Audio drivers are not the same for the rev2 tablets, this could perhaps be the reason why.....but I am only speculating.  I have updated the guide, to differentiate between the 2 Hi13 tablet versions, to hopefully avoid misunderstandings!   ;-)

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list