ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Tablet Discussion Chuwi Hi13 Hi13 2in1 (complete) vs Laptop OR "yoga" OR "Surface ...

Follow Us

Hi13 2in1 (complete) vs Laptop OR "yoga" OR "Surface Pro"

[Copy link]

ZenBalancer|Post time:4-14-2017 11:51:39 View:2653|Reply:18

Edited by ZenBalancer at 4-16-2017 15:48

What makes the Hi13 a truly 2in1 to the max for that price:

1. Detachable standalone screen with "retina quality" PPI. You might need smaller screen, see URL later on.

2. Angle adustable magnetically latching keyboard dock (quick latching/unlatching unlike Surface Book), allowing 4 modes (see original advertising image, don't be fooled): laptop/lap-mode (not just table-mode, not the tablet-mode, instead literally with Hi13+keyboard on the lap, which "Surface Pro" styles fail that test and are only table-mode typing), tent-mode, reverse-/presentation-mode, And:

Not to forget 1st point, so additional tablet-mode like for handheld portrait-mode (reading comfortably full pages on "retina" PPI), although best rested on user's body because of screen-size-weight, see Hi13 weight thread.

Laptops and "yoga" styles fail handheld portrait-mode, because keyboard can NOT be detached and in the latter has to be included in the handheld/holding weight AND the keyboard keys are exposed to the holding hands (so more of a table-mode portrait-mode less handheld, or a companion solid flat surface has to cover it maybe? Is there any innovation that I'm missing in this regard?). In the future total weight of "yoga" styles will go down, but so will that of 2in1s.

With extra keys to the right compared to the Hi12, for more comfortable typing experience when needed. But not imposed: not undetachable; doesn't ruin portrait-mode like for reading and stylus notes. Talking about stylus:

3. Active stylus support!

See my response to first Hi13 weight related post based on unboxing/initial review by TechTablets: https://forum.chuwi.com/forum.php ... 21443&fromuid=19651

And Hi13 weight thread (size etc..): https://forum.chuwi.com/thread-3847-1-1.html

Edit: When there is an adequate table, I use a portable tablet stand with adjustable and lockable angles. Especially handy for portrait-mode /vertically/"full pages" on the table, which integrated kick-stands can NOT offer any other angle other than 90° in portrait-mode. /Edit.

Do you need that combination or a laptop? You might want a Lapbook as far as Chuwi goes for laptops. Or see Hi13 vs Competition thread for the laptop versions of the HI13 competition too. Most promising with its downsides of a laptop[missing handheld portrait-mode]: Cube Thinker i35, ref by doodzilla.
Hi13 vs Competition "overview" thread: https://forum.chuwi.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=3662

If you need a "feature complete" 2in1 but with better specs, then you might need to wait for the next Hi13, maybe Hi13 Pro or Plus (unlikely Plus since it suggested bigger screen with the Hibook) perhaps, and keep an eye on the competition to be sure what you're getting yourself into.

See:
https://forum.chuwi.com/forum.php ... e=1&extra=#pid21581

Update: Laplet vs Tabtops: https://forum.chuwi.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=3895

Edits: addition + typo + improvements also based on feedback of unclear overview.

Use magic Report

mercu| Post time 4-6-2017 11:52:29 | Show all posts
What would be the best and makes this tablet NOT so heavy like it is now?

Do a combination basically.

I want it to keep this hinge like this on the keyboard side:

But then they should also add this support plate like this:

Why ?

Because then the keyboard doesn't have to be the same weight like the tablet in order to counterweight tablet to fall backward.

In that way, we can have the best of both worlds:

Strong hinge system

and

Light weight Tablet + keyboard.

I truly don't like the clip system which surface pro 4, etc doing, very unstable.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 4-6-2017 12:16:02 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Edited by ZenBalancer at 4-6-2017 12:41
mercu replied at 4-6-2017 11:52

Do a combination basicall ...

That seems like a reasonable and great idea! Assuming multiple adjustable angles of the integrated tablet support. Surface Pro 1 doesn't have adjustable angles nor ideal angle, at some point next gens do. So I've portable standards also for portrait-mode on the table, so that's why I didn't mind it not being integrated into the Hi13. It would take some room too from the backside. It seems already pretty packed. They didn't make it to their stated "ideal" spec of 9.2mm thickness according to TechTablets guy.

But also what about lap-mode? Literally on your lap sitting "anywhere" typing? If there isn't enough counter weight, lap-mode is then a failure. Requiring one hand always keeping the tablet from tipping over and getting damaged. Forgetting because of mental wandering would cause it when not learning a new habit of always holding it first. Reduced to table-mode and tablet-mode. Do you see? I evaluated your idea seriously. The idea is not without its downside as well.

Edit: improvements + see Hi13 weight related thread for that focus: https://forum.chuwi.com/thread-3847-1-1.html
Correct Reply button? Also lists for a response, @username doesn't.
Link: overview of replies to your username. They have to click for theirs.
Chuwi? Time-constrains乁( ◔ ౪◔)「
3: 1+1+1 Links: Laplets vs Tabtops + is Chuwi good or bad? (2017Q2 sample) + After-sales?

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 4-8-2017 07:33:56 | Show all posts
Edited by ZenBalancer at 4-8-2017 07:45

See the following "top 10, 7 and 5" overview of the 2017 hybrids works of art (at least as far as their marketing goes). And notice that all of them fail or is more difficult to use in at least either one of the flowing usage test-cases:

1. Lap-mode: literally with screen+keyboard on the lap sitting "anywhere" without a suitable table (I.e. NOT table-mode). Or:

2. "Handheld" portrait-mode: screen with minimum weight and thickness in portrait mode and maximum battery time.

"Top 10" 2017: https://youtu.be/tQINVJ0LgPE

"Top 7" 2017: https://youtu.be/dOUTTxtfbiE

"Top 5" 2017: https://youtu.be/20S4WiL6RxQ

These are mid-end to high-end business class and for-artists solutions, including some stunning "yoga" style solutions.

There is perhaps only one "yoga" solution that can deactivate the keyboard and also not having any mechanical pressing at the backside in handheld folded-portrait-mode, because it has a very innovative screen-keyboard design also for its stylus. But even then not without the downside of no clear tactile indication or tactile separation of intended keys.

Not to mention the price disparity between the market segments in general.

I still stand by my choice of Hi13 and its pogo-keyboard (minimal flexing based on Hi12 improved V2 keyboard, and enough counterweight) & stylus, for that price. More specs in the next one might become my primary portable "workhorse".

Edit: clarity + typo.
3: 1+1+1 Links: Laplets vs Tabtops + is Chuwi good or bad? (2017Q2 sample) + After-sales?

Use magic Report

doodzilla| Post time 4-13-2017 19:26:15 | Show all posts
mercu replied at 4-7-2017 03:52

Do a combination basicall ...

BEST idea ever! I'll try and do another post elaborating on this. I'll be sure to acknowledge your excellent contribution, mercu. The fact that you included emphasized pictures makes a big difference!

Use magic Report

doodzilla| Post time 4-13-2017 20:10:24 | Show all posts
Edited by doodzilla at 4-15-2017 16:07

@ZenBalancer, this was supposed to be a reply to your first post in this thread. Dunno what happened (slow internet). So I am editing this to note this previously non-indicated info. Original reply below in quotes:
"I was specifically significantly interested when you mentioned portrait mode built-in kickstands. I hope the "big companies" try that. If there is a way to have built-in kickstands that work for both landscape and portrait angles, I'd be very seduced by such device.

Also, in line with stands for tablets, I'd like to mention that I very enchanted by this tablet stand product called the Plinth: (please do Google search, I'll post a link later in an edit as I have currently a slow connection). It's as compact as a cellphone when in storage in your pocket perhaps. Then with a press of its buttons it opens up into a versatile stand that has around 5 multiple angle adjustment capabilities. Perfect for the portability-inclined who want to use a separate stand that is not part of the tablet or its tablet case (like UAG case/stand for Surface Pro 3-4). Plinth is also good for portrait angle use as a stand.

P.S.: Made a separate thread about [tablet and other use] stands in the General tablet subforum here: https://forum.chuwi.com/thread-3889-1-1.html"

Use magic Report

mercu| Post time 4-14-2017 04:03:25 | Show all posts
doodzilla replied at 4-13-2017 19:26
BEST idea ever! I'll try and do another post elaborating on this. I'll be sure to acknowledge your ...

Thank you so much for your kind words, doodzilla!

I like that strong hinge system also because I usually watch TV shows and movies with hi12 in this way as this pic:

Basically, I just lay down in my bed and tilt the Chuwi 90 degrees and voila, perfect way to watch TV shows and movies while laying down on the side. Of course, there are expensive tablet stands out there where you can mount it directly into the bed frames which those "octupus arms" but they are very expensive and I don't need it yet.

So with the strong hinge system we have today and combine it with the support plates on the back of the tablet, we will have very versatile system where it will work almost everywhere and for almost all purposes  + ... light weight

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 4-14-2017 10:00:35 | Show all posts
Edited by ZenBalancer at 4-14-2017 19:14
mercu replied at 4-14-2017 13:03
Thank you so much for your kind words, doodzilla!  

I like that strong hinge system also because ...
it will work almost everywhere and for almost all purposes  + ... light weight

Your idea was meant to make counterweight in the keyboard unnecessary. My counter argument, is that it's needed for lap-mode. See above. So integrated kickstand can't replace need for counterweight for lap-mode. The screen+keyboard, both on the lap, while the user sits "anywhere". Or I'm overseeing something in your original idea in regards to combining both the pogo keyboard mechanism, with integrated kickstand to make the counterweight unnecessary, but only the case in table-mode, thus only usable with the screen+keyboard then on the table. Not sitting "anywhere" with lap-mode keyboard+screen.

You practical tip for sideways viewing while lying down is more valid. But won't be portrait-friendly on the table, 90degrees is not comfortable on the table. So an appropriate (portable) stand is needed with lockable angle for table-mode portrait-mode. See my next reply on that.
Edits: clarity.

Use magic Report

ZenBalancer| Post time 4-14-2017 10:13:15 | Show all posts
Edited by ZenBalancer at 4-25-2017 14:58
doodzilla replied at 4-14-2017 05:10
I was specifically significantly interested when you mentioned portrait mode built-in kickstands. I  ...

Integrating a kickstand however versatile (multi angle landscape+portrait) will still be at the cost of thickness of the tablet, and ads to production cost of the tablet. One still needs a bag, and a compartment for a separate tablet stand (most one's will do, as long as angle adjustable) like https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B0 ... od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi13 according to TechTablets guy, is closer to 10mm in thickness instead of the states 9.2mm. And according to the "internal reveal", it's pretty packed. Integrating any kickstand design, will be at the cost of thickness and or extra weight while holding. In terms of thickness, with the exception of minimalistic half-frame-kickstand for landscape design. If designing an even more innovative integrated kickstand, would real make a difference, thus also in sales, then it might be more likely to see being made. And what company at what mid- to high-end pricing range. Like laminated screens, reserved for more expensive tablets.

Update: and the most fundamental difference between Laplets vs Tabtops remains unavoidable thus far: https://forum.chuwi.com/thread-3895-1-1.html

Use magic Report

mercu| Post time 4-14-2017 11:51:39 | Show all posts
ZenBalancer replied at 4-14-2017 10:13
Integrating a kickstand however versatile (multi angle landscape+portrait) will still be at the co ...

Well, a kickstand doesn't have to be thick, you know that there are these types of kickstand coming from Acer also right?

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

12Next
Return to list
Quick Reply To Top Return to the list