ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Tablet Discussion Chuwi Hi13 Hi13 original Charger KEYU KA1440 is dangerous!

Follow Us

Hi13 original Charger KEYU KA1440 is dangerous!

[Copy link]

artowi|Post time:10-17-2017 05:02:39 View:5686|Reply:66

amichael| Post time 10-6-2017 14:01:41 | Show all posts
There was one case I'd heard about where someone stopped using the KEYU charger and yet their USB still blew, but that might have been an outlier. For the most part, if you stop using the KEYU and get another Type C charger you should be fine.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

MemberChuwi| Post time 10-6-2017 16:33:24 | Show all posts
Ok, last chance with mixed feelings... ordered a bunch of adapters and Aukey charger from amazon. Estimated delivery time up to one week - strange, anyways.

I will check all ports on my Hi13. If any check fails I return it. No time left for further experiments or orders left.

Check 1 - USB C otg adapter, mouse, keyboard, sticks
Cbeck 2 - Aukey PD charger 27W, two different USB C cables ordered
Check 3 - micro hdmi adapter
Check 4 - micro sd card slot, samsung evo plus red
Check 5 - micro USB otg, should still work, alredy checked with keyboard

Will report results when I get the stuff from amazon...

Check 6 - HiPen H3 - Pointing and marking has to work proper. Handwriting, let's see... Drawing and Painting, not expecting much.

Will report when pen is delivered... long way from china, sigh.

In the meantime? Crossing fingers, closing eyes and using original brick? Dunno...

Use magic Report

amichael| Post time 10-7-2017 09:00:24 | Show all posts
The original brick should still be fine as long as you are very careful not to bend the connector. Go straight in, come straight out, never apply any kind of torque or shear.

Use magic Report

MemberChuwi| Post time 10-7-2017 14:07:09 | Show all posts
I treated the plug that way from the beginning.

Nothing loose or broken yet. It's obvious that such a tiny connector might be sensitive to rough handling, isn't it?

Just heard that the plastik part can break once over sudden.

Has anybody with a broken plug had a closer look inside? Probably there is a chip? That would explain the working 12V miracle as long as the plug is mechanically intact.

Use magic Report

MemberChuwi| Post time 10-8-2017 02:21:40 | Show all posts
@amichael
You mentioned that you most likely blew the raw power battery with the chuwi charger. I think the 12V is a problem in general with usb c. It's assumably not supported by all usb c devices, it's kind of optional. I asked raw power if this battery can charge PD 12V/2A usb c devices and the answer I got was unfortunately 'NO'. It's probable that even a proper PD charger supporting optional 12V  would not be able to charge this powerpack at 12V. The raw power battery is also not advertised on Amazon to support 12V, just 5V, 9V, 15V, 20V. With most USB C chargers you fin a similar spec. - except Aukey. Isn't Aukey Chinese too? Why trust in this brand over Chuwi ??

I guess when it comes to USB C multifunction adapters there is a similar problem when PD is possible but is not specified to work with 12V. Then again a charger that can support 12V may not work. Depending on negotiating miracles either charging the tablet will not work or 12V blows the accessory not supporting it...

I've a fast charging cable on order I found out has chips in the plugs - assumably to communicate high current support... will that stand 12V? How will the Aukey charger and the Hi13 behave?? I' full of questions about the 'usb c simplifications' for users... looks like a jungle to me. But well, all mess in a single plug, thats what we have been waiting for, don't we? ;-)

My doubts and speculations go on because there is no technically convincing information. Even none that works wigth a grain of salt and common sense. 12V seems to be a problem with USB C beyond chuwi.

Use magic Report

amichael| Post time 10-9-2017 09:42:12 | Show all posts
1. You probably mean 'RAVPower' and not 'raw power', because otherwise what you said makes no sense to me.
2. I didn't say I blew the battery. It's working. I was concerned that the KEYU adapter would cause the same problems with the battery pack if I was unlucky.
3. 12V is optional, yes, but a lot of type C devices support it. The 99Wh RAVPower battery charged the Chuwi Hi13 perfectly fine when I first got it. (Talking with a service representative is unfortunately useless in most cases.)
4. I'm not trusting or distrusting a brand simply because it's Chinese. Chuwi's work seems to be good, anyway; the problem was with the shoddy KEYU charger.
5. I think you severely misunderstand the USB protocols. 12 V wouldn't damage products that don't support it because they wouldn't ask for 12 V and so the charger would never supply it. (For example, the Nintendo Switch will never ask for 12 V or 15 V.) They all communicate over 5 V before agreeing on something higher.

Use magic Report

MemberChuwi| Post time 10-14-2017 05:48:00 | Show all posts
Edited by MemberChuwi at 10-14-2017 05:51

Hi

@1 yeah, misspelled, typo, you got me

@2 referring to another thread they keyu charger always provides 12V without voltage negotiations. If this is true, and I think so, it will blow conformant PD devices. The Hi13 seems to stand the hacked adaption as long as the plug is ok. Please don't use it for your powerbank, it might be dangerous.

@3 I feel better when a charger specifies the needed voltage step. The Aukey charger does.

@4 ok, should have used a chinese smiley... . The Hi13 is a good device in many regards. But some tiny things drive me nuts...

@5 I agree if a charger behaves PD compliant. But the keyu seems not to do so. Communication is always 5V, there is a separate configuration bus supply line for that (that's wbat I expected but wasn't clearly told by others). Vbus is just for power supply, nothing else. This might be a reason why the non conforming keyu works at all without instant issues (that is a finding that I expected too). There may be some hacks but chuwi engineers are not stupid. However a proper PD charger implies less hazards than chuwi's hack even a device can take 12V charging.

Meanwhile I've tried to use an Aukey 27W PD 3 charger. But it looks like the ravpower charging cable I orderd with it does not make proper contact. The plug seems to be too short. Trying to get another cable from a shop ended up with the finding that all available cables had shorter plugs than chuwi's charger. This is a nasty problem.

I don't think my port is damaged. Otg with an Aukey cable adapter works fine, either with USB 2 memory and witb a USB 3 HD as well.

Use magic Report

MemberChuwi| Post time 10-14-2017 06:01:48 | Show all posts
Edited by MemberChuwi at 10-14-2017 06:03

Referring to my checklist:

Check 1 - USB C otg adapter, mouse, keyboard, sticks >> ok with usb sticks and USB 3 HD, others not checked yet.
Cbeck 2 - Aukey PD charger 27W, two different USB C cables ordered >> pending, cable plug too short issue
Check 3 - micro hdmi adapter >> not done yet
Check 4 - micro sd card slot, samsung evo plus red >> works ok, Transcend 32GB micro SD
Check 5 - micro USB otg, should still work, alredy checked with keyboard >> ok

My main concern and a dealbreaker would have been a defective USB-C port. But it serms to be fine.

However most USB-C plugs beeing too short is a nasty situation.

Use magic Report

MemberChuwi| Post time 10-14-2017 08:54:18 | Show all posts
Edited by MemberChuwi at 10-14-2017 08:56

Guess resolving the 'too short plug' issue without cutting will be difficult and expensive.

My hope is a small 90° USB-C adapter. The plug looks closer to a perfect square. The original plug (metal part) is about 7.5mm long. Width is about 8mm. I hope the adapter fits snug in the tablet. Maybe any other cable sits well in this adapter then. 90° is also useful. Just the whole thing shouldn't be stressed mechanically... the extended sideways lever can twist the port easier.

Have ordered two different USB-C 3.1 cables too. One is officially approved and Gen 2 (10GBit/s) Both should be capable up to 60W, so enough headroom and voltage above 5V should work.

Anyways, next week is showdown. I'll let you know my findings...

Use magic Report

MemberChuwi| Post time 10-17-2017 05:02:39 | Show all posts
Edited by MemberChuwi at 10-17-2017 05:11

I'm starting to get angry.

All USB-C plugs at cables from 7 different makers i've compared so far are shorter than chuwi's 'reference'. My conclusion is chuwi's design is too deep and does not meet usual dimensions. It's very unlikely that half a dozen different makers get dimensions wrong. It also means you'll never be able to make safe connection at chuwi's USB-C port with usual USB-C plugs.

Probably this issuse by itself explains some magic damage we still argue reasos for? Some contacts fine, some others not, maybe supply provides 12V while Hi13 thinks it should serve 5V ? ...bang??

My hope was an 90° USB-C adapter but same game, too short. I've considered cutting the plastic at the adapter but I hesitate and think it's wrong doing so as it waekens the plug mechanically. However it's the only way around chuwi's 'great design' to make any cable fit without gutting it's plug as well...

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list