ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Tablet Discussion Chuwi Hi12 I calibrated the Hi12 screen with a spectrometer - S ...

Follow Us

I calibrated the Hi12 screen with a spectrometer - Screen is now hugely good!

[Copy link]

IceBlitz|Post time:3-2-2018 14:50:15 View:869|Reply:8

Edited by IceBlitz at 2-1-2018 00:10

Hi.

The Hi12 has a pretty ugly green tint without calibration but it's got great potential.
I calibrated it with a spectrometer and made a perfect color profile for it, and wanted to share it.
I set the correction time to 12 hours, remeasuring temporary corrected shades all night long, to get every single shade in the RGB and luminance channels as good as the monitor can possibly output).

The result:
Target temperature: D6500 (measured after calibration: 6492K- really good)Target gamma: 2.2 (measured after calibration: 2.21 - really good)
Correction method: White LED IPS
Contains full 3D LUT
<1 Delta E (really good)

The difference is huge!
I never thought the screen could get so good, even with calibration.

I've attached the color profile file to this post.
To install it, and make your tablet lovely, do the following:

First you need to create a default color profile. This is super easy, but you must do it in order to get the new profile working.
1. Start Menu
2. Search "Calibrate Display Color"
3. Open the calibration tool
4. Click "Next" on all without adjusting anything. This profile is going to be a throw-away
5. Finish

Now you have a color profile and it's looking exactly the same as before.
Time to install the new and corrected profile.

1. Right-click desktop
2. Display settings
3. Scroll to the bottom -> Display adapter properties
4. Color Management tab -> Color Management (you may get an information pop-up. If so, just close it)
5. Tick "Use my settings for this device" if it isn't already ticked.
6. Click on "Add"
7. Click on the line with a very long name ("sRGB display profile with display hardware configuration data derived from calibration"). Make sure this line is marked blue.
8. Click on "Browse"
9. Double click on the new ICM profile that you downloaded and unzipped from this post.

10. Done.

When you've done this, you will probably get the impression that the screen gets a very red tint at first. But don't worry. This is normal and is only happening because you are so used to the green tint on the original screen profile. After an hour you will never see the red tint again.

Link to the file on OneDrive: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlajWBB7NBGchywEAsO-s6CALyeR

Link to the file on Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1syjxc ... ZLUT%2BMTX.icm?dl=0

Hi12 profile.zip

668.24 KB, Downloads: 48

Use magic Report

doodzilla| Post time 1-19-2018 18:26:23 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
Kewl.

Use magic Report

technisol| Post time 1-22-2018 20:19:07 | Show all posts
I've downloaded this file three times, 174KB each, and tried three different extractors, and had no luck recovering an ICM profile.  Can you please just post a link to the file without the RAR archive BS, something is not working correctly.  Frankly, I hardly think an archive should be required for a file of this small a size.

Thanks.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

technisol| Post time 1-26-2018 14:30:06 | Show all posts
Edited by technisol at 1-26-2018 14:38

No dice I guess.  Gone back to .icm profile for the Samsung display in this thread: https://forum.chuwi.com/thread-1221-1-1.html
But, it seems likely that profile needs a tweak because after even quite some time it seems a bit pink in the grays...

Use magic Report

IceBlitz| Post time 2-1-2018 00:05:08 | Show all posts
Edited by IceBlitz at 2-1-2018 00:08

The reason I uploaded a rar file was because I am not allowed to upload icm files.

But you can download the file here
OneDrive: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlajWBB7NBGchywEAsO-s6CALyeR
Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1syjxc ... ZLUT%2BMTX.icm?dl=0

Hope it works now

Use magic Report

technisol| Post time 2-12-2018 03:42:53 | Show all posts
Thank you for calibrating the display and making the file available.  I think it looks pretty good, maybe a smidge yellow/green still, but I'm used to looking at a Lenovo  X200T that tends to run a little blue IMHO...  It appears to be a much better curve than the Samsung one I was running before which was too reddish/pink in the grays.  It'd be nice if companies could go that extra mile and calibrate them on the line for each display, I know some companies/models do.

The Hi 12 has a great LCD panel, it's nice to see it calibrated a lot closer to where it should be.

Thanks!  

Use magic Report

mercu| Post time 3-2-2018 07:07:42 | Show all posts
Do you have any pictures from before and after? Im just curious how big the difference looks like.

Use magic Report

technisol| Post time 3-2-2018 10:44:30 | Show all posts
Mercu, just download the file, install as written and then select it or default, etc. you can easily switch back and forth and observe differences on your screen with whatever test images or backgrounds, etc. you like to see the difference.  I'm using it and it looks very good to me on my Hi12, much better than the original Samsung file I found that was supposed to be for the display used in the Surface Pro 3.

Sorry no pictures, and how would you evaluate them except for the differences between them if your display is not correctly calibrated?  ;-)

Use magic Report

mercu| Post time 3-2-2018 14:50:15 | Show all posts
technisol replied at 3-2-2018 10:44
Mercu, just download the file, install as written and then select it or default, etc. you can easily ...

Oh I was just scared that I couldn't go back to old settings again but now when you explained for me that you can always go back anytime you want to, I will probably try it out myself

Thanks to both of you!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list