ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Tablet Discussion Chuwi Hi8 Reinstall the Windows 10 side only

Follow Us

Reinstall the Windows 10 side only

[Copy link]

Spontle|Post time:2-20-2018 03:30:51 View:1051|Reply:26

I have a problem starting Windows 10.
I would say this is because of the Windows updates that the OS tried to apply.
Now it tries to repair when trying to boot but is unsuccessful and gives me the standard Windows options which none can help at this point.

I can still boot into the Android side using the physical buttons.

My questions is how can I reinstall Windows 10 without affecting the dual boot and Android OS?

I've found a tutorial on how to flash the BIOS and reinstall Android. I think it also shows you how to install Windows 10 as well but can't understand what I must do to 'just' install Windows 10 again.

Is there a tutorial for this?

Thank you for your attention and hope you can help.

Use magic Report

Motobot| Post time 2-5-2018 09:07:50 | Show all posts
Edited by Motobot at 2-5-2018 20:11

Hello Spontle,
Just find the tutorial you need Click
In addition, [Tutorial] How to compile an install file of the latest build of Windows 10
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

manonegra222| Post time 2-5-2018 10:34:41 | Show all posts
If your problem is only the Windows boot you should repair it by getting a bootable pendrive with Windows 10 from the microsoft page and then booting from it. The start menu itself will give you, in the advanced options, the possibility of repairing Windows startup.
Chuwi Moderator

Use magic Report

Spontle| Post time 2-7-2018 01:15:42 | Show all posts
Thanks for the link for the tutorial.

I've got to the point where I can choose EFI USB Device but after that I don't get the black screen with white text as shown in the tutorial. Instead I get the default Windows menu where you choose the language, keyboard etc.

However, I have just used the media creation tool from Microsoft to create the Windows 10 32 Bit OS.
I'm not sure how or if it's essential to create a special USB boot drive to install.

I'll try to keep digging but I can't seem to find a definitive method for creating one.

Thanks again.

Use magic Report

Motobot| Post time 2-7-2018 09:17:25 | Show all posts
Spontle replied at 2-7-2018 12:15
Thanks for the link for the tutorial.

I've got to the point where I can choose EFI USB Device but a ...

Hi again,
Put yourself in the position of your counterpart and look critically at what you wrote earlier. I'm afraid that no one can give you an accurate and useful advice because you are puzzling and too brief. This is not the case when you need to be laconic. Contrary, it is necessary to list in detail all that you have done and accurately in order to find your mistake. I'm afraid that you did not understand anything that is written in the tutorial.
Either I do not know how to write clearly, or you have done everything in your own way, as you wished.

Use magic Report

Spontle| Post time 2-9-2018 02:29:06 | Show all posts
Edited by Spontle at 2-9-2018 02:31
Motobot replied at 2-7-2018 09:17
Hi again,
Put yourself in the position of your counterpart and look critically at what you wrote e ...

You're right!
I wasn't clear enough and apologies if I made it sound that the "How to compile an install file of the latest build of Windows 10 for a Chuwi tablet"  wasn't clear. In fact after going through it and never using Powershell, I  found it really satisfying although I have met a stumbling block which hope you can help me with it.

In my first thread, I was referring to the advice given of using a standard 'untouched' Microsoft Windows 10 32-bit creation. I initially used this as it was simpler and I thought it would (maybe it still will?) work as well but after choosing the EFI USB device as explained in the other tutorial I was met with the standard Windows installation choice of choosing which partition. There are quite a few and I can see which one has Windows on BUT if I choose that, will it work? Will the dual-boot option become messed up? Therefore I stopped at that point.

Neverthelees, I began following
"How to compile an install file of the latest build of Windows 10 for a Chuwi tablet"  instead using the route of not having a working CHUWI HI8 Windows installation. Everything was  going well as the instructions are clear and well laid out, and I have completed up to stage 4.

It is the part of getting the CHUWI OEM files from factory windows that has unfortunately thrown me:

5. Copy the Chuwi OEM files in the mounted image. Just copy the Recovery folder in X:\1. Copy the OEM and the Panther folders in X:\1\Windows.
It must be like that
X:\1\Recovery
X:\1\Windows\OEM
X:\1\Windows\Panther

I know there are earlier instructions in the tutorial that tells you where and how to extract but since I don't have the working drive to extract them, where do I get them from? I can simply create those folders if that is enough but I'm assuming I need the files inside of the folders as well?
I have downloaded the drivers as instructed and can see a download link for this
Windows:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/35u0zm ... s%20System.rar?dl=0
but the link is not working. Is this where I am supposed to get the OEM files?

I have already downloaded Chuwi_WinPE_x86.zip

Thanks again and hope you can help.

Use magic Report

Motobot| Post time 2-9-2018 23:57:23 | Show all posts
Spontle replied at 2-9-2018 13:29
You're right!
I wasn't clear enough and apologies if I made it sound that the "How to compile an i ...

Hello Spontle,

Currently, you can not extract OEM files and drivers, because Windows does not load on your tablet.
Also, you can not download the official Windows installation file, due to the fact that the Dropbox link is temporarily unavailable. Only the official Chuwi employee can fix it, but it will be possible only after February 24, because of the Chinese New Year holidays.
Of all the options, there is one that manonegra222 previously proposed you.
You should not install Windows, try to repair it using a USB drive with Microsoft Windows you already have now.
After booting into setup click "Repair your computer" in the lower left corner and follow any instruction you can find on the Net.
For example, Repair Windows 10 using Automatic Repair
Good Luck!

Use magic Report

Spontle| Post time 2-19-2018 05:46:50 | Show all posts
Thanks again.

I'll wait for the celebrations to finsih then! However, not before I made a boo-boo!

I was tring to put a Chuwi Hi8 Windows 10 OS on a USB stick called Hi8-Win10.2016.05 (sub folder called S806.CHUWI.D.10.TH2.EN&RU&ES&KR&JA&FR.0504) but in the end couldn't because the file install.wim is more than 4GB and the EFI boot selection needs to be FAT32 right?

Anyway, as incredibly as it it sounds, after a couple of days I totally forgot the file wasn't able to transfer across and so gave it a go. All seemed well until it threw a red screen error stating it couldn't find the file at which point I realised my stupidty!

Now, it just shows a screen titled 'Recovery' which doesn't give any options except to say the device needs to be repaired, Error Code: 0xc0000034 and that I'll need recovery tools.

I hope that hasn't complicated things. I'm assuming that all I need in the end is simply the right files that I can create a Fat 32 EFI boot disk to make use of the boot program that starts up when I plug in a keyboard and hit the Escape key when powering up?

Thanks again.

Use magic Report

Motobot| Post time 2-19-2018 07:35:24 | Show all posts
Edited by Motobot at 2-19-2018 18:44

Hello Spontle,
Thank you for more detailed posts.
Well, as you have got the original Chuwi install file now, you can do a fresh install of the old version Windows 10 1511 TH2 (Threshold 2, November 2015).
First of all, you need to prepare your flash drive. It must be formatted in NTFS. The volume label of the flash drive must be WINPE. This solves your problem with the size of the WIM file and will save you from a script error.
1. Unblock downloaded Hi8-Win10.2016.05 ZIP file in its Properties before unzipping;
2. Unzip the downloaded ZIP file and copy all files and folders to the root of your USB drive;
3. Boot from the USB drive, as you did before.
I hope you will notice the difference. This should work.
After a successful Windows flashing, you can get all the missing OEM files and drivers to make your own compiled installation package. Of course, if by this time you will not lose the desire to improve yourself and move a little closer to the ideal state of your Windows.
I also recommend you watch the video of the Windows flashing process on the virtual machine.

Use magic Report

Spontle| Post time 2-20-2018 03:30:51 | Show all posts
Thanks again Motobot for your help.

I did already try formatting the USB drive into NTFS and copying the files over but it didn't show up in the boot menu, so I thought it was because Fat 32 will only be recognised.

So I take it the tablet should recognise a NTFS boot drive?
Maybe the files didn't transfer over properly so I'll try it again.

When you say:
1. Unblock downloaded Hi8-Win10.2016.05 ZIP file in its Properties before unzipping
What did you mean by that? I think I just unpacked it as normal so could that have affected the files in any way?

Thank you.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules