ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Tablet Discussion Chuwi Hi12 Hi12 broken after windows driver update. DO NOT UPDA ...

Follow Us

Hi12 broken after windows driver update. DO NOT UPDATE YOUR TABLET IN WINDOWS...

[Copy link]

rodries|Post time:6-1-2016 00:44:41 View:31729|Reply:121

Edited by rodries at 5-31-2016 09:58

Hi
My HI12 (single boot, windows only) tablet is broken after update the firmware in the device manager from windows update.
Microsoft update thinks the tablet is a teclast and after update the firmware driver in the device manager windows will restart and do a firmware update.
I think a lot of people had this bug after a reboot of the tablet you can not switch on the tablet again, so it is a BIG fault from Chuwi (or Teclast) using the same device id as a Teclast tablet.

Be aware of update the tablet in windows you can break your tablet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, how can I get my device repaired???
I bought the tablet in a shop in Aliexpress, which are the steps to get my tablet repaired?

Use magic Report

Silverbreaker| Post time 6-4-2016 07:33:18 | Show all posts
Edited by Silverbreaker at 6-4-2016 07:36

mmmhh... who else produce windows tablets far more expensive than chuwi (china-copy-cat-cheap-company)?
yeah Microsoft... who provides new drivers through there exclusive network... oh yeah ...fu*king Microsoft!
You think its to smart for the retards at redmond? ...guess again ...it smells like a big fat nasty corporate fart from redmond
Reply Support 0 Not support 2

Use magic Report

al27873| Post time 6-2-2016 03:47:23 | Show all posts
When i bought my chuwi hi12 dual boot,i never thought that we can seriously screw up a tablet so bad.
good job i did some reading,did some changes to the bios and now this.
I feel sorry for the ones who have bricked their tablet.but i would like to thank them for warning us about this.

I didn't know about Windows Update Show Hide tool. so i went ahead and installed it.
after running the software it showed 5 hidden updates.

Teclast-other hardware-Teclast system firmware 3.4.
bosch sensotec.
microsoft silverlight.
Intel corporation driver update for intel hd graphics.
Intel other hardware -intel hid event filter.

I have stopped these updates,not sure if thats the right thing to do though.
maybe i'm another lucky chuwi owner because somehow my chuwi didn't install the Teclast firmware 3.4.

I wonder what else will show up on the forums. if you want to brick your Chuwi Hi12.Dont turn it on after 9pm
and those Bios tools look frightening.
Reply Support 2 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Silverbreaker| Post time 6-3-2016 22:11:50 | Show all posts
omg - Microsoft will kill the competition with this strategy (redmond retards). Iam so sad for you guys, but thx for the warning!
Iam glad that I deactivate Windows Update in the past...
Reply Support 0 Not support 1

Use magic Report

marcoesse_Italy| Post time 6-12-2016 01:22:07 | Show all posts
alesi80 replied at 6-11-2016 11:56
Killer update changed names.
It is now teclast - other hardware - teclast system firmware 3.08.
Prev ...

the mutant killer driver
3.08-1.JPG
3.08-2.JPG
3.08-3.JPG
3.08-4.JPG
my Chuwi Hi12 - my Surface3 - my FujitsuT901 -  my 950XL WM10 - my XIAOMI RedMiNote4 (4/64)
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Tremend81| Post time 6-4-2016 23:45:44 | Show all posts

It's a great day!! we've got a tutorial!!!

Thanks Bill Christiansen

http://techtablets.com/forum/top ... bios-update/page/3/

Use magic Report

DigitalMD| Post time 6-1-2016 09:22:23 | Show all posts
No idea if that will actually improve things yet. Not enough details. That will prevent you from getting important fixes from Microsoft and new features, but it might save you from Tablet Death syndrome.  We just don't know. Some drivers need update. For example the Wifi driver and BIOS that come with the unit when new are prone to poor Wifi performance and dropouts.

Chuwi engineering needs to answer these questions. The customers have no access to the information and designs to be able to answer this.

Use magic Report

DigitalMD| Post time 5-31-2016 10:55:41 | Show all posts
Edited by DigitalMD at 5-31-2016 13:57

Seems that some people have encountered the dead tablet syndrome.  I don't think there's anything the end user can do once this occurs at least I haven't seen any answers from Chuwi or from any users.  It may be helpful if you can exactly detail what happened and how you know that a driver update caused this situation.
Maybe your details will give the Chuwi support engineers a clue as to what is going wrong. Exactly what leads you to beielve that the tablet is mis-identified as a Teclast device?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

rodries| Post time 5-31-2016 12:02:30 | Show all posts
DigitalMD replied at 5-31-2016 10:55
Seems that some people have encountered the dead tablet syndrome.  I don't think there's anything th ...

Hi
In device manager you can see a firmware section, there there are 2 items (I do not remember the names) if you upgrade that items you can see that windows update the item to a Teclast firmware, then if you reboot the device you will see a windows message "Updating the system, please wait", then you will see small letters in the middle of the screen where you can see how the firmware is being updated, when the update finish the tablet shutdown and then it is a dead tablet.
I guess is an intel/microsoft feature to make easy to update the devices using microsoft update.
The problem here is that windows update has select a wrong firmware, and that happen because of the device identifier is the same of the Teclast device.
If you go to the device manager then double-click on the items and you tell me the Hardware id. in the details section I can show you in the windows update center how windows will tell you that the device is a Teclast.

Use magic Report

Tremend81| Post time 5-31-2016 13:13:10 | Show all posts
I made the same mistake last night and now I have a bricked Chuwi Hi12. I was reading in many different forums this evening and the conclusion I've got by now is that I need this tools: (But I can't be 100% sure)

· Programmer CH341A:

http://es.aliexpress.com/store/p ... t=searchweb201556_0,searchweb201602_1_10017_10021_507_10022_10020_10009_10008_10018_10019_101,searchweb201603_6&btsid=cad38889-3ffe-4230-a2ab-97bd7fc86cf7

· Eeprom-Programmer Clip connection cable:

http://es.aliexpress.com/store/p ... t=searchweb201556_0,searchweb201602_1_10037_10017_10021_507_10022_10032_10009_10020_10008_10018_10019_101,searchweb201603_6&btsid=133a46b3-4b95-40c2-8eff-6d79924b97c0

· 1.8V Adapter:

http://es.aliexpress.com/store/p ... t=searchweb201556_0,searchweb201602_1_10037_10017_10021_507_10022_10032_10009_10020_10008_10018_10019_101,searchweb201603_6&btsid=1c9ff27b-7a8a-400f-9c5f-1ec44f18fed4

There are some people who have unbricked already, I'm just waiting for these tools and for someone who make a clear and good tutorial explaining every little step

Use magic Report

DigitalMD| Post time 5-31-2016 19:00:11 | Show all posts
Edited by DigitalMD at 5-31-2016 22:16

And you expect the EEPROM programmer will help because WHAT failed? Can you point to post by customers that have unbricked successfully?  That information could be key to understanding what is failing and how to prevent it in the future.  

Use magic Report

emily| Post time 5-31-2016 19:51:51 | Show all posts
Hello,
Does anyone can offer some pictures or videos of the Teclast firmware? I have asked Chuwi engineer, they haven't appear this issue. They need more details to solve the problem.

Use magic Report

Tremend81| Post time 5-31-2016 23:20:23 | Show all posts
Edited by Tremend81 at 5-31-2016 23:23

Hi Emily,

I'm afraid to say is not possible to make pictures of this issue because it's not a reversible process, but from Chuwi engineer team can check what happen to us, they just have to try to update the firmware through the device manager, Windows 10 detect a new firmware update and download it automaticaly, when you reboot you can read something installing about Teclast, after installing the tablet doesn't turn on and the led starts blinking on a black screen.

I have to say that my BIOS firmware was the lastest one published in this forum,

Hope you can help us to fix this issue,

Thanks!

Use magic Report

technisol| Post time 5-31-2016 23:39:24 | Show all posts
I think I may be able to shed some light, or at least add to the confusion...

My Chuwi Hi12 will not complete Windows Update 1511, and it kept downloading and trying, so I downloaded the Windows Update Show Hide tool and hid the 1511 update so it would stop trying.  While in the utility you can select the update(s) you wish to hide from a list.  One of those shown was Teclast 3.04 Firmware Update...  Which, after seeing this thread, I have promptly Hidden so it will not try again.

My guess is that somehow because 1511 would not install, other updates are queued up and I was just lucky that the Teclast one had not tried to install...  For reference I have the Dual Boot version in Gold, with a firmware core version of 5.011 installed, according to the BIOS screen.  BTW, is that the latest firmware version?

I did not attempt to install any firmware upgrade yet through the manual process in the forum or by going to Device Manager and attempting to update any firmware related drivers, etc. as my machine has been here only a week and I wasn't sure yet whether I already had the latest firmware.  So far mine is still working, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there are no other bombs in the pipeline.  I do not recommend anyone take the actions I have yet, but offer the preceding in the hopes it might help shed light and help the Chuwi engineers to help us all.

Use magic Report

rodries| Post time 5-31-2016 23:47:02 | Show all posts
emily replied at 5-31-2016 19:51
Hello,
Does anyone can offer some pictures or videos of the Teclast firmware? I have asked Chuwi eng ...

More details?
It is very simple.
Use an old Hi12 (windows only), I do not know if this issue has been fixed in the dual boot devices.
Go to device manager
Go to Firmware section
You will see 2 items ( I do not remember the names)
Right Click in the items and click in Update Driver Software...
Select Search automatically for updated driver software
You will see a Teclast firmware update, if you reboot the windows now you will get your firmware updated with a wrong image and you will get a dead device.

You can verify the hardware id in the properties of the items -> Details -> Hardware Ids
Now you can go to windows catalog (using Internet Explorer): https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx
In the search edit paste the hardware id and press search, you will see which software will be downloaded by windows update. You can check it with the Bosch Accelerometer for example: bosc0200

I will try to get this info from a coworker but he has a dual boot device.

Use magic Report

rodries| Post time 6-1-2016 00:44:41 | Show all posts
Tremend81 replied at 5-31-2016 13:13
I made the same mistake last night and now I have a bricked Chuwi Hi12. I was reading in many differ ...

Hi Tremend81
Can you post links where I can see how to flash the bios myself?
I'm a computer engineer and I have friends with the required knowledge to reflash bios but it will be great to see the steps required to get the device unbricked.

Are you spanish like me?
I'm from Alicante maybe we can try to learn how to fix the device and help to people with the same problem

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list