ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Tablet Discussion General Surbook Type-C video out to HDMI

Follow Us

Surbook Type-C video out to HDMI

[Copy link]

ddfluideye|Post time:10-18-2017 18:23:39 View:5012|Reply:13

Hello all

I received my Surbook this weekend and have been experimenting. All looks good so far except for one thing. I have tried to attach an external monitor via my USB Type-C to HDMI adapter but it dodn't work.

Has anyone managed to get HDMI video out via the usb-c connector? If so, what adapter/cable did you successfully use?

Or is there some driver for Windows 10 missing that needs to be installed?

Thanks.

Use magic Report

JK/SF| Post time 10-8-2017 05:42:24 | Show all posts
I have been trying to get an answer for this for a long time. Sites which will be selling the Surbook soon have answered this question with no, this can't be done. But that answer is never explained. A Techtablets review of the Hi 13 tablet, shows it working with a USB C to HDMI adapter, so why would the Surbook be different? I have asked Chuwi to comment, but the silence is deafening. A helpful poster here suggest I try this (https://us.banggood.com/Wholesal ... .html?rmmds=myorder) and I have ordered it. I will receive my Surbook this coming week and I will try the adapter, then post the results. But, many of us would greatly appreciate an official response from Chuwi and identification of a specific adapter that works (or conformation that this feature is not supported). Eventually, we should get an answer.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Hackerjac| Post time 10-8-2017 07:30:23 | Show all posts
I use this one on my Hi13 and its working flawless
https://www.banggood.com/UBS-3_1 ... 5.html?rmmds=search
I do NOT work for Chuwi. Please DO NOT pm or email me with problems you may have!

Use magic Report

JK/SF| Post time 10-13-2017 13:40:59 | Show all posts
Edited by JK/SF at 10-13-2017 13:42

On your recommendation, I bought the banggod USB C adapter. I tried in on my Surbook today. It didn't work. The  adapter's usb C male plug isn't long enough to make make contact because the Surbook's slanted sides interfere. I also have this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 1_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and the insertion length on this USB C extension is a bit longer and just makes contact. Then, when I inserted the USB C adapter into the extension. I was able to display the Surbook's screen on an external monitor, power the Surbook, and use the USB 3 port all at the same time. But, it was not very satisfactory. The screen display jitters off and on. It is usable, but annoying. However, we now know that the Surbook can in fact display it's screen on an external monitor, charge, and connect to a USB 3 device simultaneously. What we (or at least I) don't know is which of the many USB C three port adapters (usb c, hdmi, and usb 3) work flawlessly. If anyone finds a good one, please let us know.

Use magic Report

jmacie| Post time 10-13-2017 20:30:20 | Show all posts
I had the same problem. I kept going to the intel graphics interface to see the 2nd display (HDMI)and it showed no second monitor. I finally decided to go to the "windows" settings page, to System ,to display. That allowed the mirroring/extended desktop to work through my usb-c hub. Good luck, hope it helps!

Use magic Report

jmacie| Post time 10-13-2017 20:33:06 | Show all posts
I had the same problem. I kept trying to go through the "intel" graphics interface to see the 2nd display (HDMI)and it showed no second monitor. I finally decided to go to the "windows" settings page, to System ,to display. That allowed the mirroring/extended desktop to work through my usb-c hub. Good luck, hope it helps!

Use magic Report

ddfluideye| Post time 10-14-2017 06:10:58 | Show all posts
Edited by ddfluideye at 10-14-2017 06:28

I got the banggood usb-c to hdmi adapter too but could not get it to work at all (tried it on its own and through a adapter that fully connects to the usb-c port). So no luck there. However, I have got it to work via a USB 3.0 to HDMI adapter. I got this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/prod ... 4_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is not perfect. It doesn't go through as 1080p HD (which was fine for my purposes just now as I was sending the image out to a projector for a powerpoint presentation) but not so good if you really wanted to use an external HD monitor. Plus if you plug in any other usb devices while it is plugged in, the connection disappears.

All round, it seems like the HDMI out on the Surbook is really dodgy. Disappointing.

Use magic Report

JK/SF| Post time 10-14-2017 18:48:42 | Show all posts
ddfluideye replied at 10-14-2017 06:10
I got the banggood usb-c to hdmi adapter too but could not get it to work at all (tried it on its ow ...

Well, I finally did get the Banggood version of the adapter to work. As I explained earlier, I am using a USB C extension cable. I filed the edge of the extension at an angle that matches the angle of the Surbook's side. The adapter fits much better and that did the trick. It works great for my needs. No jittery screen and all the Adapter ports work fine (hdmi, charging, and usb 3). I don't think the adapter itself could be filed as easily because it's metal. The adapter is soft plastic. Also, the Adapter male plug seems shorter than the one on  the extension.

A comment on the Surbook screen at full resolution: While watching Netflix, I find that the video freezes for one to three seconds quite often, causing that part of the video to be lost. Very annoying. I dropped screen resolution and it helped, but i also think there may be a problem with the signal strength with the Surbook. If i am watching the video at high resolution next to the wireless router, the problem is less severe.

Use magic Report

JK/SF| Post time 10-14-2017 18:54:25 | Show all posts
jmacie replied at 10-13-2017 20:33
I had the same problem. I kept trying to go through the "intel" graphics interface to see the 2nd di ...

yeah, I just right-clicked on the desktop and selected 'display settings' and the resulting display box has all the display settings you need. All settings (Duplicate these displays, Screen 1, Screen 2) worked great.

Use magic Report

darryl_chan| Post time 10-18-2017 18:23:39 | Show all posts
Yes indeed the type c connector on the surbook is poorly designed . It is burried deep into the metal frame and requires a longer type c connector to properly insert to make contact. Standard type c connector are only 6.2mm but surbook needs 7mm connector to fully insert into the jack. What I did was to file off the extra 1mm on my type c cable so that the connector is now 7mm long and it is able to properly insert into the surbook . Quite disappointed with Chuwi for such a bad design flaw. I also bought the tyep c to hdmi adapter and file off 1mm from the connector to fully insert the adapter and is able to project the image on my tv thru the hdmi adapter. However when I tried to use wireless connection to my smart tv , I could not get any image on my tv although my surbook was able to connect to the smart tv. Not sure what is wrong or there is incompatibility issue with the surbook.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

12Next
Return to list
Quick Reply To Top Return to the list