ChuWi Forum»Forum Chuwi Download Tutorial [SurBook mini] [Tutorial] Installing Android-x86 wit ...

Follow Us

[Other] [SurBook mini] [Tutorial] Installing Android-x86 with working Touch Screen

[Copy link]

buzzle|Post time:11-2-2018 06:04:51 View:5703|Reply:6

Edited by buzzle at 11-2-2018 21:02

Hi everyone,
Here is a quick tutorial on how to install Android-x86 on the SurBook mini and installing the touch screen driver, but theoratically it should work with any other Android-x86-based OS (Phoenix OS, etc.) and other Chuwi devices using the Silead GSLx680 touch screen
PROOF: https://openload.co/f/2mvliYgHXWs
(The touch screen is kind of unresponsive, I know. This is likely a problem with the hardware and not me faking it)

Let's get started

Step 1: Install Android-x86 using the method shown over here. I recommend keeping the original Windows install on the tablet, you'll see why in a moment. Make sure when asked whether you want to make /system read-write or not, select Yes. For the user data save disk image, around 8 GB (8000 MB) should be enough for most things. After installation is complete, reboot into the new OS

Step 2: Now that Android-x86 is up and running, use Chrome to download the touch screen firmware here (Firmware created by onitake on GitHub)

Step 3: Open the Terminal Emulator in the App Drawer. Type "su" (without quotes) and when asked, grant Terminal Emulator root permissions

Step 4: Assuming the file you downloaded are in the Download folder, and the file is named silead_fw, type these line one by one, pressing Enter after each line.
  1. cd /lib/firmware
  2. rm silead_ts.fw
  3. cp /storage/emulated/0/Download/silead_ts.fw /lib/firmware/
  4. chmod 644 silead_ts.fw
Copy the Code

UPDATE: There is now a better way of getting the touch screen to work!

Step 2: Download the new touch screen firmware here

Step 3: Open the Terminal Emulator in the App Drawer. Type "su" (without quotes) and when asked, grant Terminal Emulator root permissions

Step 4: Assuming the file you downloaded are in the Download folder, and the file is named "firmware", type these line one by one, pressing Enter after each line.
  1. cd /lib/firmware
  2. rm silead_ts.fw
  3. cp /storage/emulated/0/Download/firmware.fw /lib/firmware/silead/mssl1680.fw
Copy the Code
Step 5: Now type
  1. vi /etc/modules.blacklist
Copy the Code
Press I to enter insert mode. Add a line that says
  1. blacklist gslx680_ts_acpi
Copy the Code
Step 6: Now there are 2 ways for you to calibrate your screen
- The "clean" way: Enable TSCal and calibrate your screen yourself
  1. mkdir -p /data/misc/tscal
  2. touch /data/misc/tscal/pointercal
  3. chown 1000.1000 /data/misc/tscal /data/misc/tscal/*
  4. chmod 775 /data/misc/tscal
  5. chmod 664 /data/misc/tscal/pointercal
Copy the Code
- The "dirty" way: Download my pointercal and move it to the right place
  1. mkdir -p /data/misc/tscal
  2. cp /storage/emulated/0/Download/pointercal /data/misc/tscal/
  3. chmod 775 /data/misc/tscal
  4. chmod 664 /data/misc/tscal/pointercal
Copy the Code
Step 7: Press the Power button, reboot the tablet. If your touch screen work, great! If not, move on to step 7a

Step 7a: For some unexplainable reason, the touch screen driver on Android doesn't seems to be able to initialize the touch screen by itself. If this happens, boot your tablet into Windows and then reboot into Android (by choosing Reboot in Windows and choose Android on the next boot) and the touch screen should now initialize properly and touch-able

Note: This guide also work in Phoenix OS. Just apply the screen orientation fix (Thanks oranges!)
Fix the rotate issue following instructions here: http://bbs.phoenixstudio.org/en/ ... hp?thread-9746.html

Plus you will not have TSCal on Phoenix so you'll have to install Android x86 and copy the pointercal file over
(Or just do it the dirty way!)

Credits goes to the Android-x86 team for the built in driver and onitake on GitHub for the touch screen firmware

(Put "Ubuntu" at the end of your comment, if there is enough people I might make a similar tutorial for Ubuntu where everything is working perfectly )

Use magic Report

oranges| Post time 9-3-2018 07:33:41 | Show all posts
Do you have a tutorial for Phoenix?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

oranges| Post time 9-4-2018 09:35:19 | Show all posts
Edited by oranges at 9-4-2018 09:37

Managed to get phoenix to work, by piecing together stuff from different places, including fixing the rotate problem and touchscreen, but touchscreen is very unresponsive, somehow clicks don't register well although swiping registers. Maybe it is a driver issue.

To do this properly you need a mouse and keyboard. USB works fine.

Install v3.03 exe (i see many people recommending 8GB) from:
http://www.phoenixos.com/en/download_x86

Press Esc into BIOS and change OS type to linux, and set Phoenix OS as first boot priority. First time Phoenix will take a long to time setup, second time onwards will boot into grub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnHnnDS-3F8
(video is shaky but watch from 4:30 for BIOS settings)

Fix the rotate issue following instructions here: http://bbs.phoenixstudio.org/en/ ... hp?thread-9746.html
I recommend not using terminal but using Solid Explorer. Phoenix comes rooted, just need to enable root by enabling developer mode (go to Settings -> About -> click version number 7 times).
Use Solid Explorer to edit the file in the instructions (using SE text editor). If you enabled developer options when saving a popup will ask you to grant superuser access, can just do so for 10 mins.
For the axis options I tried a few combinations and the one that works in the same as OP in the thread, flip the Y and Z axes.

Lastly, fix the screen driver by using the instructions here, only it is easier using Solid Explorer (i recommend renaming the original file instead of deleting it). I made a goo.gl to make navigating the link easier: https://goo.gl/cwTm9k. Click open binary to download. I recommend installing Chrome first.

Solid Explorer UI is not good, to copy from download to root you need to long (right) click -> share and save as, then navigate to root/lib/firmware and click select at the bottom. After that, you can fix the attributes by long (right) click -> properties -> attributes, and adjust so that it is rw for root, r for other 2.

Reboot into windows (just select from grub bootloader that will pop up now) and from windows reboot into android (steps 5a and 6 here).

Everything will be fixed and working (no backlight issue), except touchscreen is very unresponsive, clicks don't work, but long clicks and swipe / drag does.

Use magic Report

buzzle| Post time 10-16-2018 06:23:00 | Show all posts
Edited by buzzle at 10-16-2018 21:28
oranges replied at 9-5-2018 00:35
Managed to get phoenix to work, by piecing together stuff from different places, including fixing th ...

The problem with Phoenix is that there's no built-in touch calibrator, thus on some device your touch input will be inaccurate to the left side of the screen. The second issue that I'm trying to fix is to not use the gslx driver (which is just not capable of multitouch and is also likely the main cause of unresponsive touch input). I mainly uses Ubuntu on my tablet though so it's not a huge issue for me

Use magic Report

Ricey155| Post time 10-31-2018 08:56:11 | Show all posts
So were stuck with no android on the Chuwi surbook then? shame it would be perfect with full android working touchscreen

Use magic Report

buzzle| Post time 11-2-2018 05:32:05 | Show all posts
Ricey155 replied at 10-31-2018 23:56
So were stuck with no android on the Chuwi surbook then? shame it would be perfect with full android ...

You mean the 12.3' Surbook? You can get the touch screen to work in Android. Get the kernel source for Android x86 (http://www.android-x86.org/getsourcecode). Build goodix.c from https://github.com/hadess/gt9xx (Remember to change every reference to GDIX1001 in goodix.c to GDIX1002. Chuwi might have customized the touch screen controller or just do it to frustrates people installing Linux) and then rebuild the image. Touch screen should work by then.

I still don't recommend running Android on these Apollo Lake devices though. The hardware support in the Android kernel for the platform is pretty bad. For example, the Intel HD 500 GPU is not utilized at all under Android, result in the GUI being really laggy

Use magic Report

buzzle| Post time 11-2-2018 06:04:51 | Show all posts
11/2/2018: Updated new method. Now supports up to 5 touch points and more accurate touch input

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list