Do you love Linux over Windows? if you do, why?

Every time Chuwi releases a new device, we get a lot of people asking if it supports Linux. So, Linux fans, would you mind telling us why you like this operating system?

1 Like
  1. Light weight
  2. Terminal installation
1 Like

Safer than Windows for personal usage, not at enterprise level, though.

Better support for coder and more free opensource applications.

The UI is better than Windows.

1 Like

Linux is not as vulnerable as Windows. It is a lot more secure.

1 Like

Linux, you will not have to worry about re-installing it just to experience a faster and a smoother system.

1 Like

If a device supports Linux people can install their own version if they want to. This is in particular interesting when a device or a version of Windows is not being supported anymore. Also it can be better adjusted to the device and the needs of the users, especially making it more lightweight and faster.

1 Like

Parce que Linux est bien plus fluide que Windows; surtout sur des ordinateurs qui contiennent des processeurs Ć  faibles puissances

1 Like

If your a programmer, then for you linux is the best as it runs faster and also it is open source unlike windows which is fully commercial.

canon printer error code 2 140 21

1 Like

I have been using windows my whole life, so Iā€™m kinda more used to it.

I started using linux for some stuff on Virtual Machines, and I have liked it a lot. I think I should have a bit more experience for configuring everything ok, but Iā€™m seriusly considering changing my OS to linux in not so long :wink:

1 Like

Linux is faster than Windows

Linux is way better than Windows in so many ways. I am doing a detailed research on this topic.

Once I finish the research then I will summary my point of discussion here if that is fine.

1 Like

Btw is there any plan of releasing any linux device?

Dear Management,

the minimum requirements for Microsoft Windows 10 have been growing since its initial release. This means that my Chuwi Hi 12 is no longer good enough for the most current build of Windows. Unfortunately there is no way to add more RAM nor internal disk to the Chuwi Hi 12.

From my point of view, I have to scrap my Chuwi Hi 12, or find a replacement operating system that works well with this device. This is where Linux steps in. Linux Mint works well however without a touch screen driver it is no fun at all. A touch screen driver for Linux Mint would eally help and bring new life to this device.

May I summarize: it is not about if we love Linux over Windows. It is simply about an operating system that fits to the device. All other operating systems failed: Windows needs too much ressources, and your Android version is outdated, with apps no longer supported.

Regards,
uloesch

2 Likes

windows is because windows is more secure and Linux is vulnerable.

If you are still interested in my answer:

Windows 10 does not run well on the hardware Iā€™ve purchased. I have a Hi10 Pro and a Herobook, and in both cases, the operating system overhead from Windows 10 makes the hardware so unpleasant to use that I donā€™t want to use either device for more than five minutes.

When the digitizer of my Hi10 Pro was shattered by Amtrak on a train trip, I decided I had nothing to lose. I found that folks had figured out how to get Linux to install on the tablet, and so I went for it, removing both the poorly aged version of Android and the relatively unusable copy of Windows 10 that I had already avoided booting into for the longest.

I got a full year of use out of a machine that was already on its last legs from the damage and the otherwise slow performance.

If I could get a Linux distro to successfully install on the Herobook, I would probably find the hardware suddenly more performant, and not think using the Herobook is a chore. For a machine that I bought to do my classwork, it lacks the performance to write Word documents and switch to the digital textbooks from my school, and thatā€™s saddening.

1 Like

For me, itā€™s actually the same reason most prefer Windows. Iā€™m used to linux. I started getting frustrated with Windows around the time Windows 95 was released. Was MASSIVELY frustrated by the time 98 was released, and Millenium was utterly turned off by. 2000 was better, but wasnā€™t enough to keep me using it. Started looking around back when 98 was common, found Linux. Took a while to get online with it (winmodem at the time), but once I did, I started switching over to Linux slowly. By early aughts (2002 probably, if not 2003), I had moved over to Linux as my primary OS. Itā€™s been my primary for so long now that I honestly get confused as to how to do simple things in Windows because I simply donā€™t USE Windows anymore, and havenā€™t for 15+ years.

1 Like

Why I use Linux is that the user is put first.

With proprietary software the publisherā€™s wishes are first, and then what users want come later. And if what the users want conflicts with the publisher, what the users want really will not happen.

Linux has a learning curve that is vertical and I will not deny that, but once over it things get much easier. Linux has its own set of problems, but the user is in a position on Linux they never can be if they are running proprietary software.

My CorebookX is brilliant when it comes to Linux, and how all the hardware in it has a Linux kernel driver. With binary blob drivers from proprietary vendors the user is still held to ransom by the vendorā€™s support policies: a past laptop with ATI graphics needed the proprietary blob to use the hardware in anyway tolerably, but that blob only worked up to a certain kernel version. And that then limited distro upgrades, meaning the hardware was driven into obsolecence before it needed to be.

I have a first gen Mac Mini from about 2006, and because there are FOSS drivers for that it incredibly is still in service. Just as a firewall for really shoddy IoT gadgets. The CPU is an IBM G4, and the architecture is not officially supported by Debian anymore, but unofficially it wonā€™t die. Apple have changed CPU architecture twice since this machine!

The thing is too, what does proprietary get the user? The usual industry argument is professional support. But what does that mean. Realisticall you have a problem and contact the support department. What they then do is get your problem and put it into Google, sift the results, and make suggestions. After they have told you to reboot, reinstall, format and reinstall. There is also the final weapon they retain, and that the promises of bug fixes in the ā€œupgradeā€. What that means is you have paid once, and now just buy it again and youā€™ll get what you want. Money back for the thing they are implying was faulty all along? No chance, this is really what IP licensing means.

With Linux, if you have a problem you put it into Google (after trying the man pages - I know they can be hard work, especialy monsters like ffmpeg). Then you have to sift the results yourself, but in the process you will probably pick up a bunch of other things. Then the next time you have a problem it might not even be a problem because you already have got an understanding of the system, and now just know what probably needs fiddling with.

1 Like

Windows 10 was upgraded to Windows 11. But now Iā€™m having issues with my Epson Printer Connection, paper jams, and ink jams. I canā€™t think of anything to say. Iā€™m working on a time-sensitive project for a client, and I want it to look its best. My technician will not be available until Monday. I read a lot of blogs from the A B Dick Repair Service Center. Any recommendations? Help!