Corebox not booting after installing SSD

I have a new CoreBox. I am trying to install a 500GB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD. When I plug it in and try to boot it up it gets stuck at the bios screen. I can’t even enter the bios setup. It just seems frozen trying to load the BIOS. What am I doing wrong?

Is SSD formatted? Sometimes PC do not boot further than the manufacturer’s logo because of the boot area on the SDD, which was created on another machine.
SATA supports hot swap. You can try to connect SSD when booted from default m.2 SSD.To do this, first connect the adapter to the SSD, connect the power cable to the board (small connector with red and black wire), turn on PC, wait until the system boots up, then connect the SATA cable, SSD should appear in the Disk Manager. If the SSD does not appears it is probably a power or SSD fault.

I have a similar problem…after a reboot, a simple reboot, I start to see a blue screen page with errore code “IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL”…then the PC restart itself, but it crashes on startup screen, the page with CHUWI logo…I see the loading animation, but the page not switch to the windows login page…help me please…thank you

First of all check memory https://www.memtest86.com/.
Then if everything is okay try to boot is safe mode:

You need to enter the Windows Recovery Environment
Hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.
Press the power button again to turn on your device.
On the first sign that Windows has started (for example, some devices show the manufacturer’s logo when restarting) hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.
When Windows restarts, hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.
Allow your device to fully restart to enter WinRE.

Now that you are in WinRE, follow these steps to take you to safe mode.

1. On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart .
  2. After your device restarts, you’ll see a list of options. The preferred option is to select Safe Mode with Networking.

If you are able to boot the system then you need to delete antivirus if you are using it.
Restart and check what changes, if nothing - boot again in safe mode and try to roll back drivers.

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type device manager , and then select Device Manager from the list of results.
  2. In Device Manager , expand the device that has the driver you want to rollback, right-click the driver under the device, and then select Properties .
  3. Select the Driver tab, and then select Roll Back Driver > Yes .

You need to roll back one by one drivers (the video driver and wi-fi \ bluetooth are in priority) and reboot to the system every time to check if something changes.

Still no luck. I tried formatting the drive. Still doesn’t get past the bios – I can’t even enter the bios setup. I tried pulling the power, then booting it, and plugging in the power after it boots. Drive doesn’t show up. I’m just running a normal SSD – a Crucial MX500 to be exact. It doesn’t seem like there should be any power issues. I am at a total loss. What else can I try?

Is there any solution to this topic now or further hints? Everything like elvisnuno described, also brandnew chewi corebox and no possibility to install an extra ssd. This turns this computer from nice to useless for me. Did anyone at any time install a ssd on this computer, is that confirmed, biosham?

I have the same issue, I’m not able to install and expand the corebox with and ssd.

Really bad support…

I have experienced the same thing, when adding another drive SSD or spinning media it fails to make BIOS post. It will not enter BIOS, nor will it boot to the factory installed OS. Additionally, I’ve even tested changing the boot order to disable everything but USB boot (testing with both Thumbdrive and external hard drive) to test using Linux and it will not detect anything but the factory installed drive. I was looking at these for a bulk deployment to see if they are suitable to use in a large tech lab setting but they simply don’t want to accept any other media outside of the factory intsalled OS.

Hello I have a corebox x I7 and manage to install a 1to ssd this afternoon with success. The inly thing I have dine is to format the ssd hard drive on my old laptop with windows 10. I just plugged the ssd with the cables on the main baord and it boot automatically. In the hard drive manager my sdd is there and recognized…

I’ve been trying to connect a Samsung EVO 850 (250GB) to the Chuwi Corebox (i5) without any luck. If I plug in the drive power and data, the system does not make it past BIOS. I did unplug the sata cable from the board leaving power connected as suggested earlier in this thread. After booting, I plugged the sata cable back into the board but Ubuntu 22.04 does not detect the drive. The drive itself checks out. It was working in another system. I did format the drive and Ubuntu will see it when connected to a drive caddy and USB. I don’t know if its possible to rule out a problem with the PCB or the SATA/Power cable that was supplied with the Corebox. I’m hoping perhaps Chuwi cold send me another cable and/or advise on any steps I may have not already taken to get this second drive working. The M.2 SSD is working, no issues.