ENTER key on HeroBook

Hello!

The ENTER key on the HeroBook is mapped to RETURN.

This is no issue with most apps, but in games it makes a big difference: Most games don’t work properly on menus because they are expecting the ENTER code, and the key is sending RETURN. I confimed this once remapped the controls in-game. But when menus are shown, it does not work.

Sometimes you even get stuck on the menus because of this.Changing the regional setting of the keyboard did not help, it always sends RETURN.

Is there a known solution or patch? I know you could use a registry hack, but I would preffer an official solution.

Hello! The same problem I think. The Enter key doesn’t work if I use Putty and ee-editor in the FreeBSD. But if I use the console ssh-client in Windows 10 the problem disappears.

“Registry Hack” didn’t help me.

Scancode Map = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 0d 00 0d e0 00 00 00 00
in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout
doesn’t work.
Seems I need to think.

Your scancode map replace non existing key (e0 0d) with += key (0d)

If “RETURN” mean “numpad enter”, working map is
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 1c 00 1c e0 00 00 00 00
(tested on Gemibook with similar problem).

thanks for idea

Igor, thank you. It works. But it is intersting how does it work on the clean Linux or FreeBSD. But not now. It is better to fix it on HW level. I tried to contact Support but they pushed me to the Service. I didn’t pay for the warranty so it was expensive and did not matter. It works in Windows so this is enough.

Best Regards.

I’m not a linux expert, but probably it is possible to change keyboard behavior after booting.
If you need solution for graphical environment look at xmodmap and xev (example at https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-keyboard-custom-remap.html).
For text console it should be also possible, even for device specific function keys (https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-keyboard-custom-remap.html).

Hardware solution should be done in keyboard controller firmware, but how often chinese brands releases such updates…