Keyboard very problematic on new Minibook X - driver issue?

My Minibook X is 3 weeks old, and since new I have been encountering a peculiar keyboard problem.
First, most common is that when pressing any key, there is a small chance that “f” key will be pressed instead. So I wilfl (oh, see? it just happened!) get an “f” letter typed in random places, but it also happens even when I am pressing CTRL key, will will trigger search function in the browser.
But I also started getting more serious problems, like one key stopping to work for some time, but also CTRL or ALT key getting stuck, and only putting the device to sleep and back helping it.
Did anyone else encounter this bug? What could cause it? Is the only solution to send it for warranty replacement? Because it kind of seems like a software issue, for example the CTRL key being stuck, if it gets reset by sleep, then it surely is a software issue?

I have something similar happening.

sometimes, some keys get stuck… and in fact it is the ctrl key that gets stuck…

I got a new one on warranty, clearly a different production batch as case edges were finished off differently.
And part of the issue is still there, the ctrl or alt key does sometimes get stuck, but you can unstuck it by mashing it multiple times. It must be a firmware bug.
But fortunately the worst part of the issue got fixed with new device, the F key no longer gets pressed randomly, which makes it good enough to not return it.
So I think this will be issue with all devices.

Yes, you’re right. Its not that bad.

unfortunately the worst for me is that the touchpad (And sometimes the keyboard) gets completely disconnected. I have to use modproble to remove and add the i2c_hid_acpi module. I’m on Linux

Are you using linux or wingows?

2 Likes

I mostly used Windows, because most time I had it it was on warranty, and I also got the same problem with the touchpad on Linux. They keyboard has the same problem with CTRL key locking up, but it never stopped working for me. What kernel are you on? I am on 5.15 on Solus, but I heard on 5.19 it is perfect, with only suspend not working. I am trying with a custom never kernel but didn’t manage to compile it yet. Maybe you could try?

I am on the latest kernel.

Its very interesting that your touchpad/keyboard never comes to a halt, have you used Linux for long hours?

This is actually a recurrent issue with most devices:

You can see a guy explaining how he deals with a non-responsive keyboard. I thought it was temperature induced issues, but no. I’m using EndeavorOS and now it very rarely goes above 54ºC and the battery life in this distro is amazing.

I can try to compile it. What are you trying to add to the custom kernel?

1 Like

No, sorry. So I am on stock Solus kernel 5.15, suspend is broken, CTRL key sometimes get stuck just like on Windows, and touchpad sometimes stops working, which is crazy annoying, but at least it comes back to life after a while, still awful. But at least my keyboard never stopped working so far, I guess I am really lucky.
I tried building newer kernel, but it is not booting for me, so didn’t test it so far.

I’m looking into this laptop and wonder how’s battery life on Linux. How many hours do u get on average?

I’m getting under 4 hours total, with WiFi enabled, screen brightness 60-80%, Bluetooth off. Which is about or exactly the same as what you could expect under Windows. This depends on what you’re doing and things like screen brightness, whether you’re using Bluetooth, WiFi, etc. too of course.

It’s not all day, but that’s due to the relatively small battery size, so we’re physically constrained.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thank you for the info!

It’s not all day, but that’s due to the relatively small battery size, so we’re physically constrained.

That makes sense. Advertised 8 hours surprised me.

Still could not wrap my head around the fact how tiny this machine is, even with the 4h tops. Pretty cool!

You can get maybe 6 hours watching a movie or reading a book, but at a low brightness and airplane mode.

It’s ok, but still a bit frustrating because there’s space for a bigger battery, and also I feel that something is wrong with the configuration which causes it to use more power. I’ll probably post a separate thread later.

3 Likes

You can get maybe 6 hours watching a movie or reading a book, but at a low brightness and airplane mode.

Thank you for the info.

It’s ok, but still a bit frustrating because there’s space for a bigger battery, and also I feel that something is wrong with the configuration which causes it to use more power. I’ll probably post a separate thread later.

Yeah, that’s a shame.

Anyways, these r only available in Japan currently, so, all things considered, I probably buy a used Latitude 5300 2-in-1.
Radical change of heart, I know :sweat_smile:

hey there, this laptop form factor is impressive but is not without issues if you use Windows, it is way worse on Linux.

Read about it on the linux thread somewhere here, that i created under the alias ullo. Forgot the password of said account.

Battery wise, using Endeavour OS , if working (no video or sound, just programming on neovim) i get around 5 hours .