New Lapbook: How to add Linux?

I have a new Lapbook Pro. I need to add Linux as a second OS.
I’m reading different messages from people in this forum, although I’m little scared to brick the lapbook.

I’m not sure if I can do the typical procedure, to create a second partition then reboot for Linux installation from a USB flash.

Please, give some help or some easy guideline or tutorial.

thanks in advance,

It would be better replace the SDD by a new one and then start a fresh install with Linux and Windows?

Can I install Windows 7 instead Windows 10 to avoid problems?

What are the steps to avoid brick the Lapbook?

Please, some help

You can install linux like on other laptops and PC, just don’t change anything in bios, especially “OS select” to Linux.
And if you install win7, you will not find the drivers for this system.

2 Likes

Yea, I just installed Clear Linux on Lapbook Pro without any problem. Just don’t change anything in bios.

1 Like

thank you and sorry for the delay in answer. I was able to make some space and install some Linux distro to try experiences. Using a multiboot flash usb.

I’m thinking in install also Windows 7 to see how it works.

Biosham, Do you think it would be a problem with drivers or also with the UEFI boot?.

Because I imagine there are some compatible drivers in some place, despite hard to find.

Do you wrote that because some internal hardware in the Lapbook without possibility of W7 drivers?

thanks a lot!

To install Windows 7 you need to integrate the USB 3.0 driver into the Windows Installer.
If you do not do this, then during installation you may not see the internal drive, if internal drive will be initialized then after installation usb probably will not work until you install the driver.
But you can find windows 7 with integrated usb drivers, also i’m not sure that you can find all drivers for windows 7.

1 Like

good to know! Thanks for the help.

Hi @David3

There are many linux distro’s which allow multi boot option. So you can just install linux along side original windows provided by chuwi.

Try Manjaro Linux, if you need further help then feel free to tag me.

Cheers.

I have followed your advice with Manjaro and all works perfectly. All hardware was recognized, grub boot was installed together with W10 without problems, and Manjaro is a very nice distro. A beautiful xfce desktop.
Only I had an starting difficulty to activate all the arch repos because I only know Debian although quickly was solved.

I only have one issue with Bluetooth which is activated at every start. I suppose it is a bios option but I cannot find this. If you know where it can be, please share

thanks!

You could try blacklisting Bluetooth. Create, for example, file: /etc/modprobe.d/bluetooth.conf:

# Disable Bluetooth
blacklist btusb
blacklist bluetooth

Then reboot.

Yes Good to hear a happy Manjaro Linux user.

To get arch packages from AUR you just have to install yay or yaourt and from there you can have easily install most of the apps if they’re not present in the Manjaro Repo. You can also request for apps to be added to manjaro repo and if it gets high votes then it will be added to manjaro official repo.

You can disbale bluetooth but that way you wont be able to enable it from the UI while you should be able to disable bluetooth from main setting and not the taskbar setting.

I user KDE Plasma so I am not so used to XFCE.

Enjoy your device with Manjaro :smiley:

Manjaro ARM Team.

Sorry, it seems that touchpad is not recognized when booting from usb, so maybe I need your help.

thanks for the help.

Finally I have applied “systemctl disable bluetooth” upon logoff and shutdown. It can preserve the BT icon status in the xfce toolbar, and also it boots with BT disabled.

spikerguy, yes the difficulty was with AUR until I have discovered its existence. Not hard, just the need to know about this.

Congratulations for Manjaro, it is really good. Hope it can grow in users. :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Yes I am trying to promote it as much as I can.

It is growing rapidly as we have thousands on downloads on regularly basis and just for Arm devices like Raspberry and other SBC itself we have many downloads.

As per @David3 he doesn’t have any problem with touchpad.

Which version did you download and which OS are you talking about?

1 Like

I have installed 20.0.3 xfce 64

Besides the xfce config utilities, according Manjaro Software utility, I have these related packets installed after a search for “mouse” and “touchpad”:

• gpm 1.20.xx
  • lib32-sdl2
  • sdl 1.2.15x
  • sdl2 2.0.12-1

Also I remember going to check what was the enabled and selected device, inside: Configuration -> Mouse&Touchpad -> Devices .
Here now I can see both the mouse and touchapd devices ID are: HTIX5288:00 xxxx

If I remember well, after installing Manjaro I had a plugged mouse, and then I activated this option for touchpad. If my memory don’t fail.

hope it can helps,

1 Like

The problem I have is that while touch pad works perfectly when using Windows, sometimes is not recognized when using Mint 19,.3 so i keep rebooting until it does work,

Output from dmesg

[ 6.049511] i2c_hid i2c-HTIX5288:00: i2c-HTIX5288:00 supply vdd not found, using dummy regulator
[ 6.049532] i2c_hid i2c-HTIX5288:00: i2c-HTIX5288:00 supply vddl not found, using dummy regulator

Due to the random issue I’ve been able to install Mint alongside Windows 10.

Hello, someone has tried to install Deepin20Linux by erasing Windows 10. Keeping only Deepin?

1 Like

Idk if anyone have tried it but it should not be a problem though.

But first try to boot linux over usb stick live iso and see if everything works fine on it then think is installing it on the primary drive.

1 Like

Someone has solve the problem with the touchpad, i tried elementary, manjaro and deepin an all are the same. What can i do?

Hard to say without having a device to test on.