RAM memory upgrade

gca is right. You may want to see the processor specs here.

" Intel® Core™ i5-8259U Processor
Memory Specifications
Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 32 GB
Memory Types DDR4-2400, LPDDR3-2133"

Hallo, since I have a corebook x i5 8259u I wonder: is it worth add a 8GB ram?

1. how much will it improve the pc performances
  2. it is dangerous since I have to open (difficult to do it) and CAN I ADD IT WHILE THE BATTERY IS CONNECTED TO THE MAINBOARD?

Any of you have a ‘fault pixel’? I have one and it is acceptable in my opinion… the screen quality is not bad. But COIL WHINING IS VERY LOUD, I wonder if adding a ram can do something to fix it (maybe the metal that is designed to hold the missing ram amplify the vibration?)

NG

1. It depends. Try and test if you use up the 8GB. I added 16 GB (total 24GB), 8GB would have been enough.
  2. It is not dangerous to open the laptop. But use a good screwdriver! The squeaking my laptop makes remain the same. You do not need to remove the battery.

If you try to play some games on it, 16gb is helpful because onboard graphics uses the same memory.
For 3d modeling and editing also helps.

Ideally, when adding the memory and so on, you can just unplug the battery, although should not be an issue to add the memory without disconnecting the battery.

CHUWI published this video: “How to Upgrade CoreBookX RAM and How to Install Laptop Memory”.

Hi, i bought (Kingston Fury Impact 32GB 2933Mhz DDR4 CL17 SODIMM). Now I have 40GB RAM :heart_eyes:

1 Like

That’s funny! The processor specs state that the maximum RAM is 32 GB! Congratulations on your daring!

Hola, te detectó a la primera la memoria?? Hiciste algún cambio en BIOS??, he intentado con 5 marcas distintas y ninguna me lo detecta windows

@Lord_Trebla There is the BIOS option (on the i5-8259U version): ChipsetSystem Agent (SA) ConfigurationMemory ConfigurationChannel B DIMM Control. It should be set to Enable Both DIMMs but that’s the default. If you changed it, you’d probably remember.

Other than that, it should work without any changes and be detected by the BIOS immediately.

is enabled and still doesn't detect the new RAM.

As far as I remember I only changed the function keys in BIOS

Enviado de Samsung Mobile
Enviado desde Outlook para Android

thanks @fat_bird for the help but I have it activated and it does not recognize the RAM.

I have attached a photo, in case you see any option that is not correct, but I do not remember having modified the BIOS

I compared your settings with mine. They’re exactly the same. It’s all as it should be there. I don’t think it’s down to any BIOS setting.

When you install the memory, does the laptop take longer to POST (black screen before it shows the logo)? That would suggest some incompatibility. But in this case it’s more likely it wouldn’t boot at all. And you say you tried 5 different modules. It’s unlikely all of them would be incompatible.

Just to be sure, you’re using DDR4-2400 or higher, right? There also used to be DDR4-2133, which likely wouldn’t work (although they’d be very difficult to buy now). Anything else above it should, the memory runs at 2400 MT/s anyway. And again, just to be sure, it’s all standard 1.2V memory rated for these speeds, not overclocked with an XMP profile? Also, non-ECC?

Short of that, the symptoms are like it’s physically not connected at all. Can there be any dust in the slot preventing electrical contact? With the module removed, can you blow some compressed air into the slot? Or clean it inside with a brush? And when you place the module, are you sure it’s seated well in the slot? Should look like this more or less:

CBX8 SO-DIMM

The connector pins should line up with the socket evenly and be barely visible, and the latches should firmly attach themselves to the holes on both sides (you’ll hear a click). On my laptop I had to pull the left latch a bit away first before the module would fit in, so I’m mentioning this.

That’s all I can think about. If it still doesn’t work, it might be an issue with the board.

hello

this is kind of out of the blue but is it possible to replace the original 8GB RAM module and put in two 16GB modules?

It’s not completely impossible theoretically but not something you’d want to attempt in practice.

You can put a single 32GB stick so that the total memory capacity is 40GB though.