Chuwi Corebox 4th stopped booting at first try (solved)

Hello, Forum. I have already wrote this problem to Chuwi via web form, but I also want to show it here just in case if someone found a solution or Chuwi support can answer here quickly.

Unit details:
S/N: JCoBoxlW2H230300045
Shopping details: Wish.com at March 6th, 2024. Received at 14th.

PROBLEM: I was working with this unit and it was fine almost 3 weeks. Now when I power on it doesn’t boot at the beggining. Synthoms are:

• Power led lights on.
  • Monitor detects signal from DP, loses signal, detects again and does the same in cycle.
  • When I push power button again it instantly lights off, like a switch. Pressing it again doesn’t make any difference.

The only way I found to switch on the PC is to physically unplug the power cord, wait some seconds, plug on again and then press the power button. Sometimes it works if I don’t unplung the power cord, but keep the power button pressed many seconds before pressing again to switch on, but this last mode fails sometimes.

My tests:

• Entering in BIOS and load factory defaults and/or optimized defaults. No success.
  • Wait many minutes to check if it continues booting. No success.
  • Entering in Advanced BIOS options via Windows > reboot to UEFI Config and then press ESC, but I don’t know what to check there. But I tried again load defaults. No success.

Thank you for your support!

P.S.: Hablo español nativo, por si pueden contestarme en este idioma también. Gracias.

@manonegra222 crees que puede ser un problema de hardware? o una mala conexión en la electricidad?

Estos fallos, sin un motivo aparente, requieren ir descartando paso a paso sus posibles causas hasta dar con ellos.

Los primeros síntomas parecen indicar un problema de software pero primero debes realizar unas comprobaciones:

1. Intenta encender sin tener ningún dispositivo conectado, ni siquiera el monitor. Intenta también con otra fuente de alimentación que no sea la oficial y que dé los mismo valores de voltaje y potencia

2. Si has modificado nada del producto, me refiero al hardware (Ram o unidad de almacenamiento), ver si están correctamente insertadas.

3. Flashear la Bios por si está corrupta o se ha variado algo en ella. Te pasaremos los archivos para arrancar con un pendrive con ellos y recargar la Bios.

Si después de ésto sigues teniendo problemas para arrancar, deberemos pensar en que la memoria ram pueda estar rota.

Gracias por las sugerencias, @manonegra222. Voy a revisar cada una de las que has comentado:

Arrancar sin nada conectado parece dar el mismo problema (lo observo porque al pulsar el botón de apagado no tarda nada en apagarse). Buscaré otra fuente de alimentación como comentas.

La RAM viene integrada, por lo que no está alterada. El SSD NVME lo cambié desde el principio por un LEXAR NM710 1TB, el cual no me había dado problemas. Probaré a instalar de nuevo el original para descartar que pueda ser de eso.

Sí, por favor. Quizás me gustaría empezar por esta prueba, ya que parece la menos complicada. Actualmente la BIOS de esta unidad es la CW-BI-M01ALWR310-ADA90B-001-B, y sí he hecho conscientemente una modificación: activar el “secure boot”. No obstante, también lo volví a desactivar y no cambió el problema.

Si me podéis pasar esta BIOS o alguna más actualizada lo pruebo también.

Gracias por vuestra ayuda.

@ChuwiSpainSupport @manonegra222 sigo haciendo pruebas, y descarto el problema de la fuente de alimentación (he probado con otra y pasa lo mismo).

He encontrado otra manera en la que la unidad arranca: Cuando está fallando, pulso el botón de apagado y rápidamente otra vez lo pulso para encenderlo. De esa manera parece que enciende.

Como es tan extraño, os aporto un vídeo con el problema en acción. Gracias.

Gime me your serial number, to also send you the files

Here you have it:

Thanks!

bios:

Windows:

Drivers:CoreBox 12代 Driver

Gracias. Mi BIOS actual es CW-BI-M01ALWR310-ADA90B-001-B. ¿Seguro que se puede flashear lo que me han pasado?

EDIT: I have flased with USB UEFI image you sent. It made its flashing tasks, but the problem is still there. Next step will be installing original windows in original NVME SSD. I will keep you informed. Thanks.

ok lets see the result.

Finally I found the problem!

After installing Chuwi Windows image on the original SSD, and having the same issue, I was testing many combinations with all my peripherals… and I found the problem with this USB HUB:

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32948220421.html

I was using it because I couldn’t access to rear USBs to connect pendrives, so it was connected on every tests I did. Once I disconnected it, the unit began to boot at first try.

BTW, my boot order hasn’t got any USB devices, just UEFI Windows Boot Manager on the first place and no other boot devices on the rest of the places. And that USB HUB works perfectly in the rest of my computers and TV Boxes (it worked well too on Chuwi unit once it booted).

After detecting this problem, I have tried another USB HUB, this time it was Orico brand:

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005001413424993.html

And it boots fine. So the problem was identified with my no-brand USB HUB only.

I give you all this information just in the case anybody could have a similar problem, and with the hope you can test it and release a BIOS patch to avoid problem reports.

Thank you anyway for following my case! Great support!

wow thank you for telling this, i never would have thought about it