GEMIBOOK Boot from USB problem

Hello,
I have received my new Gemibook. When it started begins applying windows updates normally. When the process is finished and notebook reboot, Windows indicates that there has been a problem and does not allow you to start. I have tried to go back to the previous version and after a while, it has also failed.

Since it is not possible to regain control (I try all the options), I have chosen to download the official Windows .ISO to proceed to reinstall or repair Windows, but the laptop is not capable of booting from any USB pendrive. I have tested these pen drives on other home computers without problem (with media creation tool an Rufus utility).

I have made sure that the pendrive is EFIx64 compatible. I have tested with FAT32, NTFS, MBR and GPT partitions, and I have played with the Legacy CSM compatibility boot. All options fail in this Gemibook.

When it tries to boot from that device (it correctly recognizes them in bios), the second it goes back to bios.

If I test pendrives in legacy mode and change CSM to compatibility mode, a frozen cursor appears at the top left and the computer freezes

I’ve downloaded some live linux versions, Hiren’s Boot Utilities, and no image is able to boot. (and works on other computers of my home. No iso or pendrive problem)

I have tested the USB3.0 port, as well as the USB-C. Both with the same result.

I have checked all the bios options, I have gone back to default bios, and all the tests do not work. Is there something wrong with my drive? The equipment does not work.

Is my unit faulty?

Write to service@chuwi.com

1 Like

Plug in your USB stick and enter the BIOS by tapping ‘Escape’ or ‘Delete’. Once in the BIOS, go to the ‘Advanced’ tab. Once there, scroll down to ‘USB Configuration’. From there, go to ‘Mass Storage Devices’. Choose the USB device and change it from ‘Auto’ to ‘Hard Disk’. Save & Exit. Boot back in to BIOS with the USB stick still plugged in and go to the ‘Boot’ tab. Under ‘Boot Option Priorities’, you should see your USB stick as one of the boot options. Change it to ‘Boot Option #1’, Save & Exit and you should be able to now boot from the USB stick.

2 Likes

thanks for the help, but I have followed the steps with the same result. The device is not able to boot from USB for some unknown reason. I try with diferents models, sizes, etc…

1 Like

This is working for me. Sorry to hear it is not working for you.

1 Like

Chuwi sends me a new Gemibook and now works perfect. strange problem of my original unit.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing ttalonso

Tengo el mismo problema, ha dejado de identificar el arranque en USB y USB-C. No he conseguido que lo identifique. Sin embargo en el SO accede a los dispositivos sin problemas.

A mi me cambiaron el portátil, es algo muy extraño. De hecho no me arranca ningún pendrive USB de windows, utilidades, etc… pero si arrancaba con una UEFI x64 pequeña de Acronis True Image 2020, con ese pen arrancaba… mira a ver si te pasa lo mismo… No tuve manera humana de arrancar con otra cosa, y por tanto como tuve un problema de SO, me tuvieron que cambiar el portátil. Te recomendaría que si te da pereza tirar de garantía, pues mires de iniciar con Acronis y si te funciona, pues ya que estás haces una imagen por si en un futuro tienes que tirar de ella.

1 Like

Parece un problema de configuración, aunque bastante peligroso. Si no consigo iniciar el arranque desde USB pronto, tiraré de garantía porque no me apetece ver cómo se corrompe el arranque y queda el equipo bloqueado. Actualmente tengo el disco partido con el w10 original y una distro debian, y no me había surgido problema alguno en el arranque desde USB hasta hace unos días. Habrá que mirarlo en profundidad.

Probado pero sin funcionar

Después de echar un buen rato, por fin, he conseguido arrancar un USB, tanto uefi w10, como Linux, en formato hoy y mbr.
Como dijo chriscurmidgeon, con USB conectado, hay que identificarlo como HD. Yo, además, he dejado en auto legacy USB support.

La opción para elegir unidad de arranque sin pasar por la BIOS es F7 con la tecla Fn presionada.

Pues genial, porque yo esa opción también la probé y no me funcionó. En el portátil de ahora siendo el mismo, sin tener esa opción cambiada me arranca sin problema.

1 Like

did you send it to chuwi… just like that… and then chuwi return it to you. .how many days?