Initiative to help Chuwi make Linux Devices

Hello Everyone,

I have been a part of Chuwi forum to help all users with their linux question even though I do not own any Chuwi hardware yet but I am always active in helping linux users with the amount of knowledge I have for Linux distributions.

I would like to request Chuwi to look into the possibilities of having a device shipped with a User Friendly Linux distribution like Manjaro as I am part of Manjaro community but I also help other linux distro’s

Mr. Jason who is a journalist at Forbes have explained very clearly the need for Mid range Linux devices in his article and his video, links below.

Article: The Linux Laptop Market Has A Serious Problem

Video : Where are the AFFORDABLE Linux laptops?

I will be happy to help with Manjaro Linux support if Chuwi is interested in Partnering with Manjaro Linux.

I hope community users can support this post to make Chuwi aware of Linux requirement in the market.

Thank you.

5 Likes

Would love to see this as an option.

Thanks @spikerguy for your great initiative on helping the users of Chuwi on issues of Linux.

I also hope that Chuwi can have a device shipped with any Linux distribution.

1 Like

Thanks for the support we need more users to push linux support so manufacturers can treat linux as alternative OS

Hi, You still here?
I like th initiative

Hi Spikerguy,
I also agree with your proposal (and hope that you are still here).

I am an happy user of Manjaro Arm edition (on Pinebook Pro), and having appreciated the Manjaro distro (at proposal many thanks for your work and for the work of the community behind :)) I downloaded the KDE ISO of X64 edition and flashed in a USB stick.

Between today and tomorrow I will try to run it on my Mini Larkbox pro (the edition with Intel J4125).

Yes still here, yes i have cracked a deal with a mini pc vendor to sell devices with Manjaro X64 os.

We’re currently testing it and will be publicly available. It is not chuwi though.
We never get much interest from chuwi.

Yes still here.

Good to see arm users, I am part of Manjaro ArM team and we’ve worked quite a lot on pinebook pro.

This should work out of the box.
I’d be interested in chuwi tablets for testing and development for touch optimised plasma OS. But never got any response from @Management and I am sure theyre not interested in supporting Linux for now.

Its ok we can just wait and see. I have 3 vendors who are already taking our support to have a good linux experience for end users.

Actually i trying to port linux for chuwi hi 10 XR/X, the first issue is the screen
this is laggy and flickering.

Bliss OS and Android / the linux
Works: Mostly
Fails: Screen and touch

It should work just fine unless they’re have used a chipset which doesn’t have support.

I’ve no idea what’s in these devices.
I see kde plasma btw so far good work though.

Let’s be know if you need help.

Plasma is more stable disabling some compositors, cinnamon or xfce works better

Check This

Coz it still uses cpu acceleration for animation rendering.

Hi,
Yes I know that you are part of Manjaro Arm team(sometimes I also follow that forum, not so often due to time constraint), that’s the reason for I thanked you for the great work (and of course, of all the team and the community behind)!

Today I tried to boot Manjaro KDE from the USB stick in 2 different ways:

• using the open source drivers: everything goes fine, but I noticed the same issue reported by other users (the fan don’t work)
  • using the proprietary drivers: everthing works properly (also the fan, that start immediately during the boot like on Win).

Then I decided to install the OS on my M2 sata drive, but now I have 2 different issues:

• The Wifi network adapter seems not recognized at all (this didn’t happens when booting from USB)
  • At every input from mouse or keyboard, the screen create flickering (like for NROL39).

If you have any suggestion is welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is strange. If it works on usb then it should work on m2 ssd too.
You can check if it is using mesa drivers or just cpu load.

Can you update the system using
sudo pacman -Syyu

Check what is used to render.
inxi -G

Try the latest kernel as I suspect that it have the latest intel chipset which doesn’t seem to have full support yet in kernel.

The pen is not working, but the touch is fine like, not visible problems with the acpi, thnx
Strangely the bluethooth works without configuration

1 Like

Seems that is using the Mesa driver. Trying ‘inxi -G’ I see:
Graphics: Device-1 Intel UHD Graphics 605 driver: i615 v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.10 driver intel unloaded: modsettings resolution: 1920x1080 ~60 Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics 600 (GLK 2) V 4.6:Mesa 20.30.1

Another curious thing was that in booting the device after 2 days, booted without proprietary driver (the fan wasn’t working at all and temperature goes till 70c°)

Then I executed a reboot, pressed F7, and then selected ‘UEFI OS’ (installed on SSD), then the fan started but started also the usual flickering.

Executing another reboot, and selected Manjaro lead to same result. I don’t know how started without the proprietary driver!

Now I’m trying a complete update of the system, but the connection is really slow and seems not able to resolve anything. I will write update, for the moment thanks for the help :slight_smile:

Hello,
I was finally able to perform a full update, but sadly the fickering issue is still present.

Under the hardware configuration, I had installed only “video-linux”. Then I tried to install video-modesettings and video-vesa (and enable it), but the issue is still present.

I noticed in the Wiki of Arch, is present a temporary solution for this issue (I have to try: Intel graphics - ArchWiki)

Of course, before that I will try to update the kernel.

Another thing that I noticed, is the different behaviour while I select the option on boot menu. If I select:

• Manjaro linux: It boot but the fan doesn’t work at all.
  • Advanced option for Manjaro linux → Manjaro Linux: It boot and the fan works normally like in Windows.

In both of the scenario flickering appaers, the difference seems to be only the fan. I tried to edit both the option, and compared the values present but are the same. I really don’t understand why for the first option the fan doesn’t work.

But I have also some good news: compared to Windows (when the fan is working) in idle the CPU is 10 degree cooler (checked with “sensors”). And (considering also the ram allocated for the buffer) I have 1 GB more free!

2 Likes