Linux on chuwi hi 10 go

Has anyone tried installing any distribution of Linux on the Chuwi Hi1 Go? If so, I’ld like to hear what happened. Thanks!

Yes, I’ve tried to install different distros. First one I tried was KDE neon (based on ubuntu). I tried kernel 5.11, that seemed to have the necessary display drivers. (Had to boot up the install with nomodeset added in the grub, otherwise install boot would hang on a sound error.)

After installing the distro, I had to install the 5.11 kernel. Then I could remove the nomodeset in the grub.

The screen is rotated the wrong way. After installing you can rotate it how you want. However, touch does not follow the rotation, I did not manage to get that working yet, nor did I look into it.

Then, the sound. I did not get the sound working. These are the hardware id’s:

Vendor (Intel): 8086
Hardware: 4dc8

I think there might be drivers for the sound card in a newer kernel (above 5.11, 5.13 for example, but didn’t try it.)

The rotation sensor also doesn’t work, I added an issue for it here.

Let me know if you try anything.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I also tried Kubuntu, tried to install 5.13 kernel, but didn’t succeed. I think it would be good if someone could try how the 5.13 kernel works.

1 Like

The rotation appears to be a common problem with another tablets. The sound is a new thing, if somebody can tell if gets fixed With a new kernel please post.

Just got mine. Immediately attempted to install Pop OS on it. I should have looked into compatibility a little more.

This guide of how to install Linux on Chuwi Hi10 Air is very informative:

So far I’ve managed to get touch screen working and locked rotation to a setting I can work with.

The custom code I pushed into my system looks like I just need to tweak the numbers so autorotation works how I want it to, but I don’t know how to edit and push the script yet.

Audio is absolutely not working. Suggested fix in the link above and a few other resources I’ve dug up have yielded nothing.

I’ll dive a little deeper into online resources, but if all else fails I may just bite the bullet and reinstall Windows.

1 Like

Care to tell us how you managed to get the touch screen working? In my case I couldn’t get the touch “rotation” right.

Touch screen works just fine upon install, but yes, rotation will be a problem.

I just followed the guide “Automatic Rotation” from the link I posted earlier. Do make sure the distro you use is at least similar to what the author reccommends.

It works, but not as intended. Turning the tablet rotates the screen in the opposite direction.

The code was intended for the Hi10 Air, I assume the code needs to be reconfigured because the accelerometer may be placed differently. Unfortunately, I’m not nearly competent enough in Linux to do it myself.

The code is here:

Safe to assume the snippet here is what does the trick:

int rotation_changed(){
	int state = current_state;

if(accel_y < -accel_g) state = 0;
	else if(accel_y > accel_g) state = 1;
#if N_STATE == 4
	else if(accel_x > accel_g) state = 2;
	else if(accel_x < -accel_g) state = 3;
#endif

Again, I’ve barely ever worked with Linux, so I just never tried changing it myself.

What’s worse is, the cameras are also upside down (Whether or not applying the screen rotation script will fix this, I never figured out), and sound does not work (I attempted to fix this too, but was far too exhausted with the first problem to continue).

Personally, I only wanted to put Linux on my Hi10 Go because the W10 install on it out of the box was not activated. I’ve since then reinstalled W10, purchased an activation key and moved on.

I’ll probably try to run Linux on my old Surface Pro 3 instead, as that has a lot more functionality patches out that are easier to work with.

1 Like

I just tried the latest manjaro gnome.

I can confirm that everything works except the sound.
Touch works, even screen rotation works perfectly now in gnome, you just have to install the iio-sensor-proxy package.

No screen tearing or anything, so the video drivers work too.

Let’s see how long we need to wait for working audio. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Chuwi Hi10 Go with N5100.
Manjaro with kernel 5.15 - works everything except auto-rotation (even with iio-sesnor-proxy) and sound.
OpenSuse tumbleweed with kernel 5.17 same (no sound, no rotation).
I can survive without auto-rotation - can switch manually, but not without the sound! Very disappointing.
Fedora 36 with kernel 5.17 works flawlessly even with auto rotate, but without sound!

1 Like

i use the newest EndeavourOS with Gnome. Display rotation works as soon as you install iio-sensor-proxy and for sound I went into alsamixer switched soundcard with F6 to sof-essx8336 and pulled all sliders up and unmute everything. Haven’t tested which slider actually affected the sound.

Only thing currently not working for me is to suspend but haven’t looked into this so far.
For auto-rotation i needed to disconnect my keyboard to switch into tablet mode

1 Like

Great to hear that, thanks for sharing how you got the sound working. There were some people in the other thread here that were wondering how to get the sound working.

When I last tested it, suspending was still a problem. (And essential feature for a tablet if you ask me…)
What kernel did you use, 5.18?