Chuwi Minibook eMMC

Hello to everyone, do you know if the chip on red circle is the eMMC?

@Management can you help?

Nope, emmc looks like this ( without any pins)

I found out it’s Power management IC, or something similar. I have ordered one for replacement

1 Like

You’re going to replace that chip yourself? What’s the story behind it?

can this power management IC be related to the minibook wont charge while its Turn off?

How is that chip in your minibook? Looks damaged?

Looking to the position of that chip and its surrounding components it looks like the power converter for the cpu or DRAM voltage, which is in the range of 1.5 volt 10 amperes.

The charging electronics for the battery is located elsewhere on the PCB. In the figure below the red circle depicts the chip of Kostas-K. The blue depicts the usb port and the battery connector.

They have a chuwi reparation center in Spain, they told me this today

“Dear Customer,
You should first contact Chuwi. To request a repair record.
Greetings”

Do you think they can fixe this? Because i Saw in índigogo People send their minibooks for repair, and they never see them again lol, dont know where they sent them

Today i received this Reply from chuwi repair center in Spain
Any toughts @THE0

Dear Customer,
There is an IC regulator that is responsible for managing the energy, but it does not interfere with whether it is on or off. The battery has a charge controller, the most probable thing is that it is broken. Anyway, I tell you this without looking at your device. We have not received any device with these conditions.
Sincerely

I would say this is not true. Or at least, for my Minibook this is not correct. The battery contains very little electronics; it only has a protecetion against overcharing, undervoltage and short circuit. I did change the battery, including the electronic circuitry inside the battery, and the problem is not solved…

Secondly when I connected the (non-original) charger that caused the minibook to smoke it happened within a split of a second, and smoke exited the Minibook through the usb-c port. This only is possible when the ‘smoke generating component’ is located very near this port. First; the battery electronics are encapsulated, and secondly the battery electronics are far away from the usb-c port. Thus again the battery couldn’t cause it.

The usb-c port still is working properly as a usb port. As a charging port it only works when the minibook is on. I assume that at the bottom side of the minibook mainboard the electronics are located that controls the power going towards the battery, measures the current going to (or coming from) the battery and which enables/disables the overall supply voltages within the Minibook (like the 5V and 3.3V supply voltage a lot of chips are working on). This specific chip most likely controls an external FET or has a diode near by that allows the charging voltage to go to this internal bus, alowing the charging electronics to be powered (which are also connected to this internal bus). When the Minibook is switched off the voltage/power between the battery and the main internal supply voltage bus is disconnected to prevent the battery from draining.

So in the Minibook there should be some electronics that regulate the Charing of the battery. This is located on the main board. It is using the internal supply bus voltage as Vcc.
There also should be a connection somewhere that connects the charger to this Vcc (or to the PSU that makes it) that alows the circuitry to work when the battery is completely flat. And that specific connection is broken, preventing the charging electronics to be powered from the charger as the charger can’t power the internal Vcc bus.

Long story short; I don’t believe the Spanish repair center as something is broken on the main board itself very near the usb-c port in a circuitry that allows the internal Vcc to be powered directly from the charging voltage…

(I design electronics myself for over 10 years as a profession)

1 Like

@filipe Can you share the contact information ofthe Spanish repair center?

Shure

serviciotecnico@edawls.com

I will sale mine for parts, I have bought that IC for replacement but don’t want to try to fix as it’s difficult and no repair center in my place. I’m afraid to sent to Spain to repair