Hi10 XR linux experiences

The touchscreen only works correctly with wayland protocol, so try to use GNOME, also auto rotation broken on all distros.
I tried the following distros:

1.Manjaro GNOME: works out of the box, but it isn’t great because the gnome shell becomes unresponsive after a few minutes of use.

2.EndeavourOS: it’s much more stable then Manjaro, but currently the 5.11 kernel is really buggy with the Hi10 XR (you can’t control screen brightness, and the screen can’t wake up from suspended state)

3.openSUSE Tumbleweed: It’s laggy, and has the same 5.11 kernel as EndeavourOs.

4.Fedora: it’s far the best choice currently, works everything out of the box with minor tweaking, just install intel media driver for hardware decoding videos, and set the display scaling to 100% because at 200% it’s a little buggy. Also use the everything iso, it’s smoother and less buggy than the workstation iso. (you can download it from here: Fedora Alternative Downloads , be sure to select workstation, under software selection, it will install GNOME).

5.Ubuntu: it’s ok, but not as responsive as fedora, also it has worse touch support.

6.Debian: can’t install grub.

7.ZorinOS core: really laggy, and kodi has some aspect ratio issues.

Overall I think you can safely switch to fedora from windows, if you are familiar with linux. It will boost your battery life, and the system will be much more faster, also kodi is really good on wayland, it supports gestures after changing the skin to estouchy, and way smoother than the windows version.

Sorry for broken english.

2 Likes

Interesting post - Thank you!

This Chuwi Hi10XR is the 1st chinese tablet I’ve had that hasn’t ran Linux, as Win10 has been horribly slow on previous atom x5 tablets. I’ve always run openSUSE Tumbleweed on cherry-trail tablets, and have always been impressed by it, with either XFCE or KDE.

I’ll leave this Hi10XR on win10 until 1909 goes end-of-life, then either try to update to 20x or go back to Linux. Currently playing with DietPi & Armbian on some Arm SBC’s :slight_smile:

1 Like

I managed to install the latest Ubuntu (default Gnome3) on my Chuwi HI8 (CWI509) tablet. It wasn’t easy and some tinkering was needed, but at the end most of the things are working at some level.
The touchscreen and the autorotation is working on both wayland and X, however I had to manually adjust the mount matrix. Also on wayland the mount matrix sometimes get reverted, so I’m using X which is more stable, but not as responsive.

1 Like

It’s interesting that touch support/responsiveness would be different on different distros - or am I reading that wrong?

It’s fairly standard issue with niche hardware. Some distros (like Debian / Mint) are very conservative on updates and will use older LTS kernels and software packages, others (like OpenSUSE Tumbleweed / Arch) are rolling release and use the absolute latest everything. It’s a reliability vs cutting edge stance, and all distros pick their position along the scale, so something that has been fixed/supported in a new package/kernel could take a while to filter down to the more conservative distros. That said, using OpenSuse Tumbleweed with BTRFS filesystem gives you the latest support for everything, and an auto-rollback if there’s a regression which breaks something.

And how is the stylus support on Fedora?

hi,
as far as i know, it’s hard to install linux onto atom tablets,
esp the what UEFI is 32bit but CPU is 64bit problem?
but my info dates back to around 2017.

can you update me?
thanks