Installing second SSD M.2 Sata - no work at all

Hi all,
I buyed a gemibook 13 that, out of the box, is very beautyful. I seen that is available a free slot for a second SSD.
To avoid errors I buyed exactly the same SSD showed in info page at https://www.chuwi.com/product/items/Chuwi-GemiBook.html , an HP SSD EX 900 M.2 with sata technology.
It isn’t recognized at all. Neither in BIOS (AMI version 5.13 - 3/12/2021) or in windows 10.
How can I do? Is there a setting I can do on BIOS?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

?? The EX900 is a NVMe SSD, not a SATA SSD (where did you see it listed as m.2 w/ SATA technology?). While the ads do say the GemiBook supports NVMe, noone I know (and I tested on my Pro as well) has actually had NVMe drives work on it, so needs to be a m.2 SATA drive.

Many thanks for the quick answer. I saw it on Amazon description for this drive and i was induced in error from ads on the chuwi gemibook internet site. Moreover, I see the connector in the slot and it’s m.2 NVME one. It seems SATA M2 drives has 2 holes in the connector while here (in the gemibook 13 slot) there is only one as NVME. Is there some people here who can suggest an SSD (minimum 250 GB) that works surely there?

WD Blue. NOT SN550 WD Blue. The SATA WD Blue. Samsung 850/860/870 EVO/QVO, but avoid anything 900 series (NVMe). Adata SU800. Silicon Power A55.

All those are SATA drives. I think I even have the original 500 GB SSD from my Chuwi in a protective case lying around the house still. :smiley:

Hi,

I add a WD BLUE SSD M.2 2280 SATA UP to 550MB/s read 525MB/s write in my Gemibook It’s a SATA NOT NVME ! NVME has 4 times read/write speed vs Sata.

Actually, with NVMe over PCIe 4.0x4, it’s up to 14x times the speed. Even with only PCIe 3.0x4, it’s still WELL more than 4x, more like 7x for the high end drives.

But NVMe isn’t actually supported on this laptop, so it’s a mute point. Kinda like pointing out that a Xeon Gold 6338 has 8x the processors and 16x the threads of the J4125 and runs faster. True point, but since it’s not supported in the laptop, what difference does it make?

Hi,
thanks all people here.
I tryed some SSD and solved with a HIKVISION E100N SSD.
HTH

For Chuwi people: giving a little support could permit expand your market a lot.

2 Likes

Hello everybody, I just tried to upgrade my Gemibook with a second SSD and since I read this thread I bought a M2 2280 SATA but when I opened the hatch on the back of the laptop I realized that the slot is different from the SATA and it looks like a NVME… I mean that there is only one divider in the contacts slots, while the SATA connection requires two dividers. Anyone has encountered the same issue? Is it possible that the newer version of Gemibooks have a different standard for the expansion?

Hi, so did you use a SATA SSD or NVME (one hole in the connector or two?)
Thanks
Andrea

It’d be nice if they did, but I doubt it. SATA can go in a B key or B+M key slot (the slot on the board is B+M key). NVMe (PCIe x4) is M-key ONLY, although NVMe (PCI x2) can be B+M key.

1 Like

hello tlmiller76 and thank you for getting back to me, you are absolutely correct about the form factors, the issue that I am facing is that the slot I am seeing in my laptop seems to be an M key the five pin on the right side (having the card with the specific label upside) and a single dividing pin on the right of the slot… I am puzzled

hello again, I was going crazy for nothing, my m.2 2280 SATA WD BLUE SSD was actually working fine, I finally noticed that in the BIOS it was visible and it just had to be initialized through Disk Management in Windows. Now everything works fine.
Thank you for your patience and support.