Linux on Chuwi GemiBook

Where can I check it?

Just basic device manager. Just verify it does have drivers loaded (Windows didn’t have drivers via Windows update for this sound card last time I reinstalled Windows, but that was like 2 Windows versions ago) and not !'s on the hardware.

1 Like

I have same issue on my herobook air ( audio system only sees HDMI output … headphone and integrated speaker are unavailable …) …

I am wondering if somebody has tried to build kernel with newer Sound Open Firmware ( Set up a Ktest-based environment — SOF Project 0.1 documentation ) as indicated in the pull request ( Add APL/GLK support for ES8336 codec (Chuwi Hi10x support) by plbossart · Pull Request #2962 · thesofproject/linux · GitHub ) and if that solved the issue ??

Thanks !

PS : jbernardo has put some good info in the MX Linux forum : No analog audio with intel SST - Page 3 - MX Linux Forum

I have a little bit technical information about Linux Mint.

1 Like

confirmed newest kernel and sof firmware working with local speaker and ES8336 : [BUG] ESSX 8336 No local devices (speakers/headphones) on N4120 tablet (Chuwi Hi10X) · Issue #2955 · thesofproject/linux · GitHub … I am going to try to compile it also following Set up a Ktest-based environment — SOF Project 0.1 documentation but it’s maybe not so easy …

PS : I compiled the 5.16 git kernel and then recompiled my wifi module ( HeroBook Air : Realtek 8723DU wifi card kernel module compilation on linux - next : audio & microphone? ) but the wifi module doesnt work (network commands hang … see network commands hangs with kernel 5.16git · Issue #11 · lwfinger/rtl8723du · GitHub ) … also touchpad doesn’t work anymore … and alsamixer tells me “cannot open mixer: No such file or directory” …
… so I guess I need to wait for somebody a little more knowledgeable than me to compile it …

PS : found a hack to get es8336 working : [HACK][DO NOT MERGE] es8336 support by plbossart · Pull Request #3107 · thesofproject/linux · GitHub (always in the same discussion : [BUG] ESSX 8336 No local devices (speakers/headphones) on N4120 tablet (Chuwi Hi10X) · Issue #2955 · thesofproject/linux · GitHub ), someone kindly put some instructions here : Teclast F5 onboard sound support for NixOS · GitHub

Did anyone solved this problem ?

I have a gemibook with zorin os (Ubuntu) installed and no sound, only « dummy » driver available in sound settings

I tried to add entries in modprob config file, but no luck :confused:

@Oscarito75020 I got it working on an ES8336 device with yangxiaohua2009 · GitHub 's custom 5.16 kernel , see No Internal Speaker Sound on GML Kuu Yobook M with ES8336 · Issue #3365 · thesofproject/linux · GitHub (maybe it’s also working with official 5.17(.rcX) kernel if they have accepted some patches from the sofproject …)

@pierro78
Hi pierro ( are you french ? I am french !)

Thanks for your answer !

Things are a little bit messy with all the posts on the subject untill someone comes with a complete procedure.

I installed zorin os, no sound, then back to Windows with official iso, and then no sound in Windows too!

I had to apply the complete Windows master install procedure from chuwi to get the sound back working in Windows.

My understanding of what you say I should do:

1 get and Install the custom kernel from yangxiaohua2009

2 type your commands :

pierro78@YOBOOK:~/sof/custom-kernel$ amixer -c 0 sset ‘Left Headphone Mixer Left DAC’ on
Simple mixer control ‘Left Headphone Mixer Left DAC’,0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Mono: Playback [on]
pierro78@YOBOOK:~/sof/custom-kernel$ amixer -c 0 sset ‘Right Headphone Mixer Right DAC’ on
Simple mixer control ‘Right Headphone Mixer Right DAC’,0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Mono: Playback [on]
pierro78@YOBOOK:~/sof/custom-kernel$

Can you kindly confirm ?

Last question : does it work with zorin os 16 (Ubuntu)?

Thanks a lot

1 Like

Bonjour @Oscarito75020 , oui je suis Francais et mon pseudo pourrait etre Pierro75012 … on est voisins :wink:

Yes for number 1

Then for number 2 it actually depends on the “topology” of your “sound interfaces” and which one should be “activated” or not … you need to check the result of the “alsa-info” command and then activate the right interface(s) (… for that you may want to ask some help from yangxiaohua2009 or the good people of the sofproject …)

@pierro78 Thanks pierro

You are right we are very close neighbors :smile:

Patching the kernel sounds dangerously like messing things up and bricking the whole computer to my ears, so i might or might not do it.

I understand The problem is not limited to ubuntu but also arch os and all debian based distros. Maybe redhat or centos will work, but sticking with windows is maybe the Best option for the moment.

Wich is sad because i bought the laptop to install linux in the first place :confused: but no sound is just a no go for me.

1 Like

Having similar issues with the N5100 chipset and Ubuntu is the only distro that works for my touchpad(but it stops working after sleepmode).

Sound has not worked on any distro i have tried and i have tried lots of them.

Also bought this for running Linux.

Hoping future releases of distros sorts the issues. Techtablets on youtube managed to run Linux Mint with the older J chipset with no issues.

1 Like

Not tested but seems to solve the problem for most users:

I’ve tried it out, doesn’t work for me :confused:

I bought the laptop from the European warehouse.And a surprise…The sound and touchpad works on Ubuntu 22.10(5.19 kernel) and Linux Mint(5.15 kernel).Apparently the hardware has changed.

It seems to me, that there is a noticeable difference regarding maximum display brightness between Linux Mint and Windows 10/11. Does somebody else also noticed a big difference in display brigthness between those two operating systems?

Hi, just popping in to say that with Manjaro and kernel 6.7.0-6-MANJARO
audio started working, finally. It needed some trial and error with alsamixer controls in order to bring the volume up to a decent level.