Network Card not being found (Ubuntu)

Hello,

I just received my Chuwi Herobook Air today and I am super excited!

Serial #: HeroB AQ128G21082495

I installed Ubuntu (Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS) on it and things seem to be working fine, with the exception of the networking options not being found. Looking in the config, seems like my networking card is not being recognised.

So, I am guessing, it’s a drivers issue.

I looked through the internet and your forums and see that some drivers are made available:
These ones don’t seem to be the right ones for my card.
These ones are for Windows.

Can you help me locate the right drivers for Ubuntu and perhaps run me through how to install them?

All the best,

Theo

1 Like

I don’t have a herobook so have no idea what the available cards are, but if you post the output of lspci I may be able to assist.

Thanks @tlmiller76 !

Below the output of lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Gemini Lake Host Bridge (rev 06)
00:00.1 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Celeron/Pentium Silver Processor Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Processor Participant (rev 06)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 605 (rev 06)
00:0e.0 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation Device 3198 (rev 06)
00:0f.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Celeron/Pentium Silver Processor Trusted Execution Engine Interface (rev 06)
00:12.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Device 31e3 (rev 06)
00:14.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Gemini Lake PCI Express Root Port (rev f6)
00:15.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Device 31a8 (rev 06)
00:16.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Celeron/Pentium Silver Processor Serial IO I2C Host Controller (rev 06)
00:16.1 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Celeron/Pentium Silver Processor Serial IO I2C Host Controller (rev 06)
00:16.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Device 31b0 (rev 06)
00:16.3 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Device 31b2 (rev 06)
00:17.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Device 31b4 (rev 06)
00:17.1 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Device 31b6 (rev 06)
00:17.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Device 31b8 (rev 06)
00:17.3 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Device 31ba (rev 06)
00:18.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Celeron/Pentium Silver Processor Serial IO UART Host Controller (rev 06)
00:18.1 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Celeron/Pentium Silver Processor Serial IO UART Host Controller (rev 06)
00:18.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Celeron/Pentium Silver Processor Serial IO UART Host Controller (rev 06)
00:18.3 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Celeron/Pentium Silver Processor Serial IO UART Host Controller (rev 06)
00:19.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Celeron/Pentium Silver Processor Serial IO SPI Host Controller (rev 06)
00:19.1 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Celeron/Pentium Silver Processor Serial IO SPI Host Controller (rev 06)
00:19.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Celeron/Pentium Silver Processor Serial IO SPI Host Controller (rev 06)
00:1c.0 SD Host controller: Intel Corporation Celeron/Pentium Silver Processor SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller (rev 06)
00:1e.0 SD Host controller: Intel Corporation Device 31d0 (rev 06)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Device 31e8 (rev 06)
00:1f.1 SMBus: Intel Corporation Celeron/Pentium Silver Processor Gaussian Mixture Model (rev 06)

Which one is the culprit ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I ran lsusb and found the name of the card:
ID 0bda:d723 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 802.11n WLAN Adapter

Found these drivers but when I go to install them, I hit a deep mesh of missing dependencies in Ubuntu. I tried installing them individually, one by one, but it keeps going deeper and deeper.

I ll keep at it tomorrow.

OH wow, what a horribly archaic and trashy wireless card. Do you have any alternative way of getting online for a few minutes? There’s a PPA that has working versions of the drivers.

Turns out, connecting the phone by USB to the computer and using it to tether allows you to have a connection going (helps for dependencies)

Ok, we’re getting somewhere! :slight_smile:

@tlmiller76 , I added the PPA you suggested, then ran the drivers troubleshooter from the Software & Updates > Additional Drivers and Ubuntu suggested using rtl8723du-dkms

Remains to be seen if this is successful.

Thank you so much for your help so far guys/gals!

Update: it worked!

Pretty impressive of the drivers trouibleshooter, that is INDEED the package that’s needed for that chipset.

Thanks for your help on this guys!
Now, onto the sound card, which is also not recognised :smiley:

hi, i have the same problem as you. let me know if you solve with the sound card. thank you

I am sorry to.say that not only did I not manage to solve it, somewhere in the process I managed to mess up the bios. I ended up bricking the laptop!

Great educational activity for my kid though: taking a laptop apart…

I am sorry. do this: open the laptop, disconnect the battery and the backup battery, hold down the power button for 10 seconds, so as to discharge all the residual electricity. now hang up everything and turn it back on. you will have reset your bios!

質問があります。
Wifiでは接続できないですが、
USB経由ー有線LAN(ルータ)でinternetに接続できますか?

電話につなぐとは具体的にはどのような方法でしょうか?
よろしくお願いします。