RZBOX 5800 performance & temp issue

Good morning. I received my rzbox 5800 16gb / 512 ssd a few days ago.
The computer has overheating problems and is not working properly. it worked fine at first but after a few minutes I realized that the case was hot to the point of not being able to hold my hand on it. After a while the programs started to jerk and freeze despite the low load on the cpu. After several attempts I have found that the problem is probably due to the disk overheating. Indeed, immediately after turning on the machine - therefore with the startup programs still running - the speed is good, but after some time, the speed is significantly reduced.
The fan never starts even if the CPU exceeds 100 °
In addition, the computer crashed during the various tests. To unlock it I had to turn it off with the physical button on the case.
Any advice?

1 Like

The rzbox has a weak cooling solution and some electrical limits on ram and nvme drives that can be used.

The weak cooling solution was called out in the initial rzbox evaluations, by a number of outfits, and that was with the older AMD 4900. Yet, they kept it with that cpu, and moved the same small heatsink and fan that doesn’t run enough over to the newer 5900H model.

Search for “rzbox 5800H” on youtube and see the reviews from Serve The Home and Retro Game Corps for more, and read the comments.

In addition to the overheating, the rzbox these days also comes with DDR4-2666 ram instead of the DDR4-3200 they say it comes with. That low ram speed badly hobbles the 5800H. Gaming performance goes up around double with the correct 3200 ram. See the comments from Retro Game Corps youtube video when he discovered like I did that he got shortchanged on the RAM speed and tried the correct ram 3200 ram.

So if you actually wanted this for persistent high performance computing, it’s the wrong machine. Despite its lofty specifications, it’ll give good performance for a short burst, but once that small aluminum heatsink with just one heat pipe gets saturated, that’s it. The machine will throttle speed and then shut off.

Shame they didn’t find a way to connect the heat sink to the aluminum case parts.

Ram is limited to 1.2v sticks, and the nvme slots are limited to 1.5A at 3.3v. Below many high performance drives.

2 Likes

When youre CPU runs up to 97 - over 100 degreesm and youre fan is not starting-: fan is not connected.

I just reveived my RZBOX -: same issue -: fan not connected

Resolution :

Step 1 - Remove bottom cover (8 screws)
Turn RZBox Upside down
Unscrew all 8 scews
Use magnet to remove screws fromn cover
lift cover upwards

Step 2 - Remove back plate (4 screws _ that is the plastic cover with the openings for the **
** Network\Hdmi\Displayport and Usb)

Unscrew all 4 screws
backplate is held with three plastic clips (push clips gently down and gentle push backplate away
Don not use too much force!

Step 3 - Remove Top Plate (metal no screws)
If backplate is removed slide top plate about 1 inch towards the back (it will not slide further)
lift cover upwards
Check fan cable

Plug in fan

Reassemble device

2 Likes

Thank you, ChuwiUserNL. This is great! Just applied it successfully, and with a 25W TDP in BIOS, the temp is around 60C at all times. This works well for me.

1 Like

Not without damage for me! After removing the 4 screws, I could not get that backplate off easily. I tried using a flashlight to see the other claps on the opposite side. I was not able. So, I pushed the 3 visible claps (from the bottom) down and out. While trying to pry away the backplate/IO-shield, I was met with resistance! Which lead to the plastic claps on the opposite side of the backplate/IO-shield to snap/brake.

I broken 4 sets of claps tethered on the opposite side. WARNING: TRYING TO OPEN THIS CASE COULD DAMAGE THE CLAPS ATTACHED TO THE BACKPLATE/IO-SHIELD!

And the details were spot on! The darn fan was not connected! So, I added new thermal paste and connected the fan.

Temperatures at startup and while doing absolutely nothing would be 100 degree Celsius and higher! Now they seem to be float around 54 to 60 degree Celsius. :partying_face: