Hi10Xr - Second Display possible?

Hello,
I’m just setting up my new Chuwi Hi10Xr - and i’m more than pleased!
What i’ve noticed:
I tried to connect my “Lenovo ThinkVision M14” display to my Chuwi via USB-C but that didnt work.
So is it generally possible to connect a second display to the Hi10Xr?

Best Regards
Marty

Hi.

Thinkvision M14 uses USB’s alt mode to get pixel data from PC. But Hi10XR seems not to have that function (both USB type-C ports have only data transfer function).
If you have 2 items, it may be possible but I’m not sure.

1. micro HDMI to HDMI converter
  2. HDMI to USB type-C cable

Connection is:

• Hi10XR’s micro HDMI ----- <1> ----- <2> ----- Thinkvision USB port

I confirmed that USB Vbus is not connected to HDMI so this kind of usage does not break Hi10XR, but I cannot assure.

thanks for the clarification

Hi,
I’ve just published a post (Micro HDMI not works in CHUWI Hi10 XR) with a problem detected with micro HDMI connector because I’m unable to view any image in external monitor. Have you tested if you can see any image through micro HDMI to HDMI adaptor?
Thanks.

Hi.

I don’t have micro HDMI cable so I cannot verify functionality. However it’s better to clarify some checkpoints.

1. second display is detected by Hi10XR ?
    if detected, you can see 2nd display in Hi10XR Display Settings and can set up screen resolution/refresh rate

2. what grade cable ?
    if using High Speed cable, you can use 2K graphics. if not, may be blank screen. additionally too long HDMI cable (e.g. over 5m or not-HDMI-certified cable) cannot send enough pixel data correctly so external monitor cannot display image.

3. cable connection is OK?
    micro HDMI connector is so small that micro HDMI plug may be broken easily. hold micro HDMI plug to Hi10XR.

Hi,

I have tested with a micro hdmi to hdmi adapter and it works. My TV displays correctly the second screen of my Hi10 xr.

1 Like

Hi, sorry for bothering, but can you help me?
I have problem with the cursor…

It was lagging behind the place of the pen and then it was slowly going under it, which was not a problem only when the pen was touching the screen - it was not lagging, it was working perfectly, except for the rest of the time, when the pen was not touching the display - when I tried to click some buttons, the cursor clicked where it was still behind and then coming back under the pen, which was right above where I wanted to click…

In the system’s pen settings menu I didn’t find any option that was allowing the cursor to act like that, so I’m guessing there are installed wrong or old drivers for the pen.

If you know if that cursor behaviour was normal, please answer in the topic I opened…

Thanks for your answer. I’ve discovered that micro hdmi to hdmi connector works but the problem is that
I have to put a lot of pressure on the port for it to work well. The moment I move the connector a bit, the image is disconnected.

What type of the converter(adapter or cable)?

It’s better to use L-type microHDMI connector. Be careful with the direction of the L-shape.
Hi10XR’s microHDMI is equipped on the left side and reverse-D shape.
Choose the L-shaped adapter that bend down the cable when connected to Hi10XR like AFUNTA’s microHDMI adapter(model No. MicroHDMI1).

(microHDMI connector’s durability is well-known problem. Find out your best one.)

Thanks for the numerous answers.
So i tried to connect my Chuwi to the Thinkvision with a “Micro Hdmi to Hdmi adatpor” and “Hdmi to USB C cable” like EndlessBiginner described. But that doesnt work, the Thinkvision stays black without any sign of Power supply. Windows also doesnt recognize a second Display.
I think the problem is because you would need a “Hdmi to USB C cable” which supports the “power delivery” standard of USB C. But i think this doesnt exist yet :slight_smile:

It was worth the try - thanks again.

Marty

Hi.

When using HDMI<->USB type-C conversion, both USB type-C ports of M14 must be used to work.

• One is for power supply from a USB charger (equipped with USB 3.0 type-C PD 2.0 compatible port and over 7.5W+Hi10XR power consumption capacity).
  • The other is for pixel data from PC through USB alt mode.

Like this (from Lenovo web site):

EDIT1) HDMI is designed to transfer pixel data and exchange display information, cannot deliver power because of cable thickness.

EDIT2) @Management , should I upload images when I just want to quote them? I think it’s better to indicate only URL because of legitimacy of data source and no-forgery. Anyway, thank you for uploading the image.

I hope no one minds me butting in here, the issues are so relevant to mine ,though I do not understand fully all the contributions. I am trying to use my new Toshiba TV as a second display but no second display is recognised anywhere, for example in Windows 10 Settings.

I am connecting with a new HDMI cable, from the micro port on my Chuwi Hi10 X to my Toshiba Smart TV which has 3 full size HDMI ports all of which have been tried. The Chuwi’s micro port is a very firm fitting. The HDMI cable (the second one I have used) is 3 meters long. (The other 2 ports on the TV are used without problems, for Chromecast and cable connection to a DVD Recorder but have been tried with the cable to the micro port.) No Adapters are used. An L connector would foul the USB C power connection directly below it.

If I have understood right, the problem might lie with Chuwi’s micro port although the physical connection is secure. Comments and advice will be appreciated.

the only way to setting up the second display is from microHDMI connector.

Is there a (simple) way to check if the HDMI port and cable are actually working? If it was just a USB connection could it be as easy as just plugging in a USB Flash Drive to see if there is an active connection?

Sorry, I reply to both 2 messages in this.

ThinkVision M14 has 2 USB type-C port.

• One is for power supply (like USB charger)
  • Another is for display connection (to Hi10X micro HDMI through converter cable)

Hi10X is provided with 12V/2A through pseudo USB type-C-like connector from AC adapter. M14 is provided through exact USB type-C connector (/w PD capable) from USB charger (possibly over 45W capability).

If some HDMI pins are connected between both PC and monitor and they are turned on, PC should detect monitor. Communication between PC and monitor is established by 4pins (GND, 5V SDA, SCL), clock is 100kHz~3MHz so the detection should be successful when connected.

Good Luck!

Question 1 rhetorical :What is the use of an HDMI port which does not do what an HDMI port is supposed to do? My question implies that the HDMI port on the Chuwi is a distracting waste of space. But there are a couple of users here saying it doeswork for them, such as [vainvain18f(Profile - vainvain18fr - CHUWI | Official Forum) who says “I have tested with a micro hdmi to hdmi adapter and it works. My TV displays correctly the second screen of my Hi10 xr” – so before going down other routes (and costs) can we get an explanation for this? If it works for some, why not the rest of us?
Question 2 practical. What else can the HDMI port be used for, if not for connecting a TV second display? If I have to give up on it for that purpose, what practical alternative purposes are there – it is surely not a pointless port
Question 3. Is this a worthwhile alternative solution, connecting HDMI not by a the HDMI port but via USB, making use of a ''USB 3.0 To HDMI Mini HD 1080P Video Cable Adapter Converter For PC Laptop 1080P". I have so far found a couple of these under £20 / $20 on Ebay or Amazon. If I am convinced the HDMI port is unusable, this may be my preferred solution.

Answer 1: I don’t know why the HDMI port doesn’t work for you. It works for me. It is possible that you have updated or reinstalled windows to another version? if so, you should restore the original intel drivers (Chuwi is very specific with his drivers).

Answer 2: An HDMI Out has no other uses.

Answer 3: A USB-C will send video as long as it has been configured (physically and firmware level) for such use. In the case of chuwi they have not configured this, so when you connect a screen to USB-C, it will warn you that the connected screen will not work.

I hope this helps.